Transmit Informational or Sales Literature • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
Use this cover letter to mention that you are responding to the reader's request and to identify the material you are sending. The material may be in any form, but it is often a brochure or a pamphlet. You may also answer specific questions not covered in the literature.
How to write this transmittal letter:
- Thank the reader for the inquiry and identify what you have sent.
- Briefly summarize the material you sent and call attention to specific sections of the literature, as necessary.
- Respond to any specific questions asked in the original inquiry but not addressed in the literature you are sending.
- Offer further assistance or indicate where or how your reader can reach a salesperson.
Example Letter #1
Thank you for your interest in Doe Handbags. I have enclosed a brochure of our entire product line. As is evident from the brochures, our products are made from the finest leather and sturdiest brass hardware. Although we do not carry any baby bags per se, many of our customers have found that our fine totes or backpacks handily meet the demands which a busy mother places on her leather accessories. If you have any questions about any product or its features, please contact the sales representative named on the bottom of the brochure.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for requesting information about Doe Corporation. The enclosed sampler explains our product line and franchising opportunities. Please pay particular attention to section five of the sampler, which identifies the cities where franchises are no longer available. You should be aware that, as you suspected, franchise opportunities are no longer available in your city.
If you have further questions, please contact any of our salespersons at the telephone number above.
Example Letter #3
It was a pleasure talking with you today. I have enclosed a brochure which discusses your major concerns about variable annuities. Investments can be a complex and overwhelming topic. This brochure reduces the subject to its essential points. Particularly enlightening is the comparison of variable annuities to mutual funds on page 5. I also determined that the surrender charge in year six is 4% instead of 3%. I will give you a call in a week or so to see what you think.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Thank the reader for the inquiry and identify what you have sent.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We appreciate your questions and concerns about safety at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant. The enclosed brochure covers all the questions you asked, and many more.
- Thank you for your inquiry concerning our product line. Enclosed is a brochure describing the full line of Doe Mowers.
- Your inquiry is welcome, and I have enclosed the literature you requested.
- Thank you for your interest in Doe Corporation's design and construction capabilities.
- Doe Corporation is Springfield's largest manufacturing firm. The enclosed catalog, which may interest you, describes and illustrates our current product lines.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- appreciate your questions about
- contains information about
- customer satisfaction guaranteed
- easy to assemble
- efficiency is the key
- enclosing a brochure
- great convenience
- illustrates the products
- impressive deals to provide
- inquiry concerning our service
- know you will enjoy
- listing base prices for all
- may be useful to you
- more available at
- offer complete service
- products we offer
- save you time and money
- thank you for your interest
- will be pleased with
- with a detailed explanation
2 Briefly summarize the material you sent and call attention to specific sections of the literature, as necessary.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- We carry a full line of mowers, from the geared-reel push mowers to our top-of-the-line lawn tractors. The model you specifically inquired about, the self-propelled GX3, is shown on page 7.
- Nuclear power offers great benefits, but it also poses considerable risks if not used properly. The accompanying brochure discusses both the positive and negative features, and explains what we have done to insure that Springfield is just as safe as the plant in your town.
- The enclosed literature answers all of the questions you asked in your letter. If you have further questions, I will be happy to respond.
- I think the medical electronic equipment described in the brochure might particularly interest you.
- Our brochure provides a wealth of information. It should give you an idea of the nature and scope of what we can do for you as a supplier.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- both the positive and negative aspects of
- complete with clear diagrams of
- describes our entire line of
- excellent explanation of
- explains all the features of
- gives you an idea of
- help you increase your
- more supplies than you can dream of
- offers thorough explanations
- our most recent catalog
- pay special attention to
- perhaps the following can
- self-explanatory pamphlet
- several options for that particular product
- several points of interest
- should answer your questions about
- tables comparing the features of
- the section that focuses on
- thoroughly discusses
- wealth of information
- what we can do for you
3 Respond to any specific questions asked in the original inquiry but not addressed in the literature you are sending.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Since down time on heavy equipment is very expensive, your concerns about rapid service and repair are legitimate. We have technicians on standby who can be at your job site within 12 to 24 hours. They can diagnose and fix most problems on the spot, or arrange for a service crew to take care of more complex repairs.
- You expressed concern about air pollution from gasoline engines and asked about the "cleanliness" of Doe engines. Government tests have demonstrated that our engines are among the cleanest in the industry, but because of increasingly stringent regulations, we recently introduced a highly efficient battery-operated machine that runs for five hours between rechargings. See page 5.
- Your specifications were out of the ordinary, so I am not sure whether we have what you need; in fact, I am doubtful anyone carries such an instrument. However, as the catalog shows, we carry several electronic testing devices that can fill your customers' needs.
- The literature describes our standard product line, but you should know that we can custom build products to your exact specifications.
- The only question not answered in the product literature concerns operational costs. Obviously, these can vary widely, depending on the operator, application of the equipment, and local conditions. Still, most users are impressed with the low operating costs of all models.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- always available to
- among the highest in customer satisfaction
- as you will find
- as to your question about
- competitive prices and outstanding service
- designs copied from authentic originals
- find the answer to your question in
- have service operators who can
- illustrates the wide choice
- initial fee will cover
- manufactured right here in
- need not be concerned with
- no need to worry about
- operators who specialize in
- our service has been rated among
- reputation for quality
- sensitive to your needs
- since you mentioned
- technicians who can provide you
- that particular service
- unbeatable selection of
- unparalleled reliability
- your question is a common one
4 Offer further assistance or indicate where or how your reader can reach a salesperson.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- If we can assist you further, please let us know. In the meantime, you might want to drop by our authorized distributor in the Springfield area, Doe Mowers on 1600 Main Street.
- I will call later this week to see if you have any questions concerning the material I sent.
- If our heavy equipment meets your needs, we can discuss prices and delivery terms.
- Please let me know if I can clarify anything not covered in the literature.
- If you have further questions, our representative in your area will be happy to help you. Call Jane Doe at 555-5555.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- areas of concern
- call our toll-free telephone number
- contact us again at the following address
- do not hesitate to call
- fill out the information card
- for further explanation
- give further assistance
- happy to assist you
- happy to be of assistance
- have sales representatives
- how we can best serve your needs
- if you have any questions
- if the brochure doesn't contain
- information you need
- just let us know
- let me know if there is anything
- local office will respond promptly
- more questions about
- operators can assist in directing your call
- to order, call our toll-free number
- will send out a representative
- within a week of order time
- would like more details