Example Letter #1
Thank you for pointing out the staffing problems in the clothing department and for offering such insightful suggestions. I agree with you. We should address the issue at the very beginning, before the individual is even hired. Raising the minimal qualifications and being more candid about our expectations should help us to build a more efficient and loyal staff. I appreciate your concern. Please drop by my office on Thursday afternoon, and we will discuss the changes in greater detail.
Example Letter #2
We appreciate your suggestion that we install more drinking fountains in the mall. We are presently looking into installation costs, but feel confident that at least some new fountains will appear before summer. The building was designed for them, but they were not included when construction costs ran higher than expected. Perhaps the time has come to finish the job right. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Example Letter #3
Thank you for suggesting that we offer our whole wheat bread to store franchises in your area. We appreciate hearing how much you like our products and hope you will continue to enjoy them. While we do not have plans to expand into that part of the county, your letter encourages us to explore the possibility for the future.
Example Letter #4
Thank you for taking the time to suggest that we stay open longer on Friday nights. Your arguments were very persuasive. Starting May 5, we will stay open until 10:30 p.m. every Friday. I think you are right about people wanting something to do after basketball games. If you have any other helpful ideas, let me know.
Example Letter #5
Here at Doe First National Bank we listen to what our customers tell us. Our determination to meet your changing needs is reflected in the many new choices you will find in the accompanying brochure.
Please take a moment to read through the descriptions of your accounts--and of the new accounts or services that may interest you. We think you will be pleased with the new banking opportunities you will find.
Just as important, we promise to keep finding new ways to meet your changing needs. You have the right to expect more from your bank, and you can count on Doe First National to help you achieve your financial goals. Thank you for your contribution in helping us create new and improved services.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Show appreciation for the writer's suggestion, initiative, and interest in helping you.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you for taking the time to write down your ideas and share them with me.
- We appreciate your suggestion for changing our model HW-1944 dryer design.
- We always enjoy hearing from our customers, and your letter regarding sizing problems was no exception.
- John Doe and I were pleased to receive your memo last week about potential problems you see with our new advertising campaign. As always, we appreciate your candid opinion.
- We appreciate your initiative in writing to us about the problems in personnel.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- about potential problems you see
- always enjoy hearing from our customers
- appreciate your initiative
- appreciate your candid opinions
- appreciate your timely ideas
- appreciate your suggestion
- changing our model design
- don't hesitate to send them to us
- letter regarding sizing problems
- plan to introduce this fall
- thank you for your much needed suggestion
- thank you for getting involved in
- thank you for showing interest in
- thank you for caring about
- thank you for taking the time
- were pleased to receive your memo
- with the advertising campaign
- write down your ideas
- writing us about the problems in personnel
2 State what action you plan to take (or have taken) on the suggestion.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I think your ideas have merit, and I plan to bring them up in the next board meeting. I will let you know of any decisions we make.
- Although I believe your suggestion should be put into practice, I have no authority to make that decision. Let me forward your idea to the responsible manager. She will be in touch with you shortly.
- I have given serious consideration to the concerns you raised in your memo. Today I passed it on to the vice president with my own notes. After he reviews it and gives me the go ahead, I will contact you about making the changes.
- We will certainly pass this suggestion on to our designers who are working on next year's model.
- We are considering using a size chart as you suggested.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- although I have no authority to make that decision
- any decisions we come to will
- as soon as she gives me the go ahead
- believe your suggestion is
- concerns you raised in your memo are
- contact you about making these changes
- have given serious consideration to
- help our customers choose
- let me forward your idea
- need to come up with some other way to
- passed it on to the responsible manager, who
- plan to bring them up when
- plan to discuss the idea in the next meeting
- realize that we will benefit greatly by
- should be put into practice as soon as
- think your ideas have merit
- will certainly consult with our designers
- will include it with future model
- will be in touch shortly
- will let you know when
- will thoroughly discuss
3 Summarize the benefits gained by using the suggestion. Restate your appreciation for a useful suggestion.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We appreciate dedicated employees like you who call matters such as these to our attention. By making minor changes now, we are able to prevent major problems from occurring in the future.
- As we have looked over your suggestion, we believe it could save us almost 11% of our current running costs during the next year alone. We commend you for your initiative. You are indeed an asset to the company.
- Your analysis of the situation is exactly right. By implementing the changes you suggest, we should be able to count on almost seven extra hours of productive time each week.
- I will not soon forget your contributions to the company. You may have thought your suggestion inconsequential, but it is a wonderful idea, and you deserve the credit for it.
- We take letters from our customers as welcome evidence of their loyalty and interest. Thank you for taking the time to let us hear how we can better serve you.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- able to prevent major problems from occurring
- analysis of the situation is very perceptive
- appreciate dedicated employees like you, who
- are an asset to the company
- as we have looked over your suggestion
- believe that it could save us significant amounts
- by making the necessary minor changes now
- call such matters to our attention
- commend you for your initiative and farsightedness
- consider letters from our customers
- deserve a lot of credit for
- during the next year alone we anticipate
- extra hours of productive time each week
- it is a wonderful idea that can make a significant difference in
- let us hear how we can better serve you
- may have thought it inconsequential but
- our current running costs are
- thank you for taking the time
- welcome evidence of loyalty and interest
- will not soon forget what you have contributed to