Example Letter #1
I was sorry to hear that your basement was flooded last week due to a leaky pipe, but was glad that the rest of your home was spared. Unfortunately, many homes suffer water damage each year from leaking washers, water heaters, and other loose fittings. I am sure you don't want to have such a problem in another part of your home.
May I suggest that you allow me to come to your home to make sure that your plumbing is secure? In the long-run it could save you a lot of money and worry. Please contact me to make an appointment at 555-5555.
Example Letter #2
We regret that we are unable to supply you with the bookkeeping forms you usually use. With the majority of small businesses using computers, the older forms are difficult to find. You may wish to make the transition to computer bookkeeping yourself. All types of posting can be done more quickly and more accurately than with traditional methods. Although the initial investment seems high, I believe you would find, as we have, that the time saved and the accuracy achieved are well worth the money. We have several computer models with compatible software that we could tailor to your needs. You are welcome to drop in and investigate this possibility.
Example Letter #3
Several times during the past six months you were late in making the minimum payment required as stated in our agreement. We are reluctant to charge penalties for such infractions and offer the following suggestion.
Often our customers choose a payment schedule that does not fit their budget needs or they find that their financial situation has changed. We invite you to review with our customer service department our different types of accounts and payment schedules.
Please be assured that we want your account and that we welcome a chance to discuss this situation with you.
Example Letter #4
I have reviewed the financial information you gave me and compared it to last year's figures. According to my calculations, you are losing ground. Your investments are under-performing all the relevant markets by a significant margin. I think it is time to consider turning your portfolio over to a professional, as we discussed last year.
You are a dedicated and successful businessman; however, your devotion to your business leaves you little time to monitor your investments. If you disagree or think I have misunderstood your situation, please call me so we can discuss the matter.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Explain the situation to the customer.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Occasionally it takes time to determine the best credit plan for a customer. That may be the case with your account. As we're sure you know, your account balance frequently exceeds the limit stated in our agreement.
- Our records show that your account now has a past due balance of $2390.00.
- Many customers find that their circumstances change from the time they first open a charge account. Often they can no longer meet their obligations under the original agreement. In such cases we recommend a change of plan.
- It was several months ago, on February 16, that we last spoke. At that meeting we discussed mutual concerns over payments on your refrigerator purchase.
- Reference books for your employees' use can improve the quality of their work. Doe Bookstore sells many titles on a multitude of subjects, but our stockroom has run out of the title you ordered.
- As I am sure you now realize, patience and preparation pay off when dealing with the IRS. It was a relief to learn that you received only a small fine. However, you could have avoided a lot of frustration if you had used a better record-keeping system.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- account balance frequently exceeds the limit stated in our agreement
- arrive at the best credit plan
- as you are surely aware
- as I am sure you now realize
- at the time when we
- can no longer meet their obligations
- concerns over your recent purchase
- discussed some concerns you had
- financial advisors have studied your situation
- had simply kept better records
- many customers find that
- much of the frustration could be avoided
- negligible penalty was the only consequence
- occasionally it takes time and adjustment
- patience and preparation have their rewards
- recommend a change of plan
- records show that your account often exceeds
- several months since we last talked about
- situation has changed since we
- stockroom has run out of
- suited for each customer
- think that may be the case with your account
- think you should have a different account
- under the original agreement
- was a relief to find that
- your current balance is
2 Give your suggestion.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Perhaps a type C plan with sixty-day revolving credit would be better suited to your needs. Enclosed is a brochure explaining this and other options. I suggest you consider a change.
- Since your balance has exceeded your credit limit for some time, we recommend that you consider a different plan.
- If you are still looking for a reference book for your employees, we can offer you our catalog, which lists all our current reference titles. It allows you to place orders directly over the phone rather than through the mail.
- In case you have not yet found another supplier, I suggest you take another look at the improvements we have made to our product this year. Before making a final decision, you should review the enclosed brochure to see how our improved product can meet your needs now better than ever.
- I suggest hiring a part-time bookkeeper to relieve you of some of the record-keeping burden. A competent bookkeeper would also prevent a similar occurrence next year. We could provide this service, if you would like.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a different account plan would
- adds extra convenience
- be better suited to your needs
- can offer you our catalog
- contribute to the overall productivity of your company
- could provide this service
- enclosed is our most recent catalog
- enclosed is a brochure
- for some time now we have
- if you are still looking for
- improvements we have recently made will
- in case you have not found another supplier
- lift much of the record-keeping burden from you
- listing our different credit plans
- perhaps a sixty-day revolving credit plan
- place orders directly over the phone
- please look it over
- prevent a similar occurrence in the future
- rather than through the mail
- recommend that you consider
- since your balance has remained at
- suggest you take another look at
- suggest that before you make a final decision
- suggest you consider a change
- suggest you consider getting
- take time for another review
3 If you are dealing with a customer's financial problems, suggest the possibility that you may have made an error and invite the customer to correct it. Leave the customer feeling comfortable in contacting you.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- If your records disagree with ours, please let us know. We would appreciate your pointing out a possible error. If you feel it is necessary, we will be happy to reconsider your circumstance.
- If we have made an error in reaching our conclusion, we would appreciate hearing from you. We want to correct any mistakes on our part. If we don't hear from you soon, we will lower your credit limit.
- Of course our decision will not be final until we hear from you. Our customers' opinions are important to us, so please get in touch with us as soon as you can.
- If you prefer to discuss your situation in person, please call. We would be happy to meet with you at your convenience. Please let us hear from you soon.
- Serving you as a financial advisor is part of my job. If you feel it would help, make an appointment with me so we can discuss your situation. I will give you any help I can.
- We are sure you will be pleased with our recent improvements. Please look them over, and let me know what you think.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- are sure you will be pleased with the improvement
- at your convenience
- being at your service as
- change the credit limit on your account
- customers' opinions are important to us
- give you any help we can
- if you feel it would be helpful
- if your records do not agree with ours
- if we have made an error
- if we are in error
- if you feel it is necessary
- let me know what you think
- like to take them into consideration
- may correct any mistake on our part
- otherwise we will proceed to
- our decision will not be final until
- part of being credit personnel
- please let us know
- please look them over
- please let us hear from you soon
- please get in touch with us soon
- please call us if
- prefer to discuss the matter in person
- reaching a conclusion in your situation
- will be happy to reconsider your case
- would be happy to meet with you
- would appreciate hearing from you
- would appreciate your pointing it out to