Example Letter #1
Please circulate this letter and the attached calendar of reporting deadlines to all full-time employees. It is imperative that everyone be particularly aware of the deadlines for the Doe contract. Review the dates in your weekly meetings and be prompt in submitting progress reports. I cannot overemphasize the importance of monitoring the work on the Doe contract very closely. Do not hesitate to bring questions to your supervisor's attention.
Example Letter #2
Your weekly reports of client contacts and new sales need to be on my desk no later than 11:30 a.m. each Monday. If you are unable to meet this deadline, contact me directly before Monday.
Example Letter #3
I need to familiarize myself with the report of your department's internal audit before I meet with the shareholders on March 15.
I would like to present the results in the best possible light, so I will appreciate any ideas that will help.
Example Letter #4
The progress reports for all the patients on your unit are seriously overdue. To keep the rest of the staff informed of the patients' progress, we need to have the reports in the file within 24 hours after each therapy session. Please rectify this situation as soon as possible.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 State your request and give a deadline.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- The quarterly personnel reports are due in my office by June 30. Since they take some time to prepare, please don't leave them until the last minute.
- Your monthly report was due last Friday. Please have it on my desk before you go home today.
- Effective March 15, please submit your written reports within two days of returning from sales trips.
- I have not yet received your expense statement from your April trip to Springfield. Please submit this within the next week so that we can balance our books for the quarter.
- Please prepare your department's proposed budget for next year and get it to me by March 15.
- Please submit departmental reports within the first week after the end of the quarter.
- Please prepare a performance evaluation for each of the employees in your department, including job descriptions by March 15.
- I would like to have your reports by March 15, so I can use them during our annual interviews.
- Be sure to submit your time cards by 6:00 p.m. on Friday evenings.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- add any items
- are due on the
- as soon as possible
- budget projections for
- by close of business
- calculate your budget needs for
- complete the attached
- for final approval
- have it on my desk by
- have these ready for review by
- have not yet received
- keep written records of
- must be completed by
- must be submitted no later than
- must be ready by
- necessary in order to
- need your input
- please complete a
- please submit a written report
- prepare an evaluation of
- received after this deadline
- return this promptly to
- send me a copy of
- submit these within one week of
- submitted for initial review
2 Add explanations or details as necessary.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- This is the third monthly reminder I have sent to you. Kindly get your reports in on time.
- I need to present the final budget to the board on March 30.
- If you have any questions about this, please call me.
- Let me know if you have any questions about my request.
- I understand that these are estimates, but please use your records and be as accurate as you can.
- We trust that this decrease in paperwork will lead to an overall increase in productivity.
- A brief description of each employee's major strengths and any serious weaknesses would be helpful.
- We process the checks over the weekend, so if you submit the cards late, the checks will be a week late.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- discuss this further
- feel free to call
- for further information
- if you have any questions
- if you need help
- increase the efficiency of
- increased productivity
- iron out any details
- is available to
- late submission means
- let me know if
- need any further information
- need to present the
- pay careful attention to
- received after the deadline
- the processing of
- will result in
- without further delay
- would be helpful to