Example Letter #1
We hope you are enjoying the books shipped to you last month. Part of your agreement was to pay $40 each month. This is a reminder that your first payment is now overdue. Please disregard this note if your check is already in the mail.
Example Letter #2
Please remember that the balance on your account ($132.16) remains unpaid. It was due to be paid in full ten days ago. Enclosed is an envelope in which you may mail your payment. If, by chance, you have already sent your payment, please disregard this letter and accept our gratitude.
Example Letter #3
This is just a friendly reminder that your June payment of $100 is overdue. If you have not already sent the payment, please do so now.
Example Letter #4
Our records show an outstanding balance for your son, Eric.
We request that your monthly tuition payment be paid before the 10th of each month. Accounts paid after the 10th of the month accrue a $5.00 late tuition fee. This is just a reminder as we do not mail statements.
We are certainly not exempt from making errors! Please notify us immediately if there is any question concerning the payment.
Example Letter #5
Recently Jane Doe was treated at Springfield Hospital by our emergency physician. The balance for the treatment is $100.00. Because you are a valued customer, we are concerned about your past-due balance. To protect your good standing with the medical group (as well as your credit rating), please pay the amount due within 15 working days. If you cannot pay the entire amount immediately, we can set up a payment plan. Simply call us at 555-5555 between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
If you have already sent your payment or made arrangements with this office, please disregard this letter and accept our thanks.
Example Letter #6
Our records indicate that we have not received your payment which was due on 12-5-98. We hope this was just an oversight and you will be able to remit the funds due immediately.
The amount due on your loan is $1,500.
This amount includes any applicable late charges and/or fees.
If your records reflect that you paid this payment prior to the date of this letter, you still need to contact us so that the discrepancy can be resolved and any necessary corrections can be made on your account.
If, however, you are experiencing financial difficulties, please contact us so that we can assist you in working through the situation and bring your account back to a current status. We can provide you with counseling or a listing of HUD approved counseling agencies which you may wish to contact for assistance.
Please call me at our toll free number listed above as soon as possible. We can then begin to work through this situation together.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Remind the customer that payment is past due and state the amount owed.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- When reviewing your account, I discovered that payment for your purchase of $49.99 is past due.
- I realize that this may be an oversight on your part, but my records indicate that your account is ten days past due.
- I thought you might appreciate this friendly reminder that your account is now past due.
- We appreciated receiving your order. Thank you very much. If you have not already sent in your payment, will you please do so now?
- May we remind you that your June payment is now overdue?
- We want to remind you that your account is past due.
- Perhaps you have forgotten that your payment was due on November 9.
- Our records show that you have not paid your October 18 bill for $110.95.
- This is a friendly reminder that we are waiting for your payment of $25.13.
- I want to draw your attention to your account that is now past due.
- We have not received last month's payment for $389.17, which was due ten days ago.
- Did you forget to send us January's payment for $1,500.00?
- Please accept this brief reminder that your payment was due ten days ago.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a review of your account
- according to our records
- according to our files
- account is not up to date
- account is delinquent
- account is overdue
- are waiting for your March 15 payment
- are delinquent on your March 15 payment
- are sure you are aware
- are overdrawn
- did you forget
- discovered you most recent purchase
- has yet to be paid
- has not been paid
- has been overdue since
- have neglected your payment of
- have not received the March 15 payment
- have neglected to pay
- is past due
- is now overdue
- just a reminder
- March 15 payment is delinquent
- may we remind you
- may we now call your attention to
- our records indicate
- our records show
- overlooked a payment
- please accept this brief message
- please make note
- please be aware of
- seems that you have forgotten
- should have received a payment by
- simple misunderstanding
- simple reminder
- this short note
- this is a notice of delinquency
- thought you might appreciate this friendly reminder
- want to draw your attention
- want to remind you
- when reviewing your account
- would appreciate
- your account has not been updated
- your March 15 purchase payment is now overdue
- your account is now past due
2 Ask the customer to send the payment.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Will you please send us your payment now?
- We will appreciate your attention to this oversight.
- Please send us a check in the amount shown above.
- If you have not sent us your payment, please do so by March 30.
- We need your payment in full so we can continue to serve your needs.
- Please be sure to send payment now.
- We will appreciate your cooperation.
- Please mail in your payment now.
- We trust that you can send your payment.
- We sincerely appreciate your early remittance.
- Your check is the solution to our problem.
- Will you kindly send your check today?
- Please remit the amount shown.
- I will appreciate prompt payment.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- according to the contract
- appreciate your early remittance
- continue to serve your needs
- expect payment by
- expect to receive a payment by
- expect to have a check by
- have you sent your check yet
- hope that you can
- if you haven't resolved the matter
- if we do not have your payment within ten days
- if you have not sent a payment
- if you have run into difficulties
- if you need to explain
- if you haven't already done so
- in the amount shown above
- may we have your check for
- need your payment in full
- payment in the amount of
- please update your account
- please pay the balance
- please pay the entire amount by
- please mail in your payment
- please send the money
- please send us a check
- please fulfill the terms of our agreement
- please send us the payment
- please live up to your agreement
- please satisfy the conditions of your contract
- remit the minimum amount of $450.58 immediately
- send our payment
- send your payment soon
- send me your check today
- sure you want to protect your credit rating
- to collect payment
- when we can expect payment
- will appreciate prompt payment
- will appreciate your attention to this oversight
- will appreciate payment by
- will sincerely appreciate
- will you kindly
- would appreciate your sending a payment by
- would like to continue
3 Acknowledge that the customer may have already sent payment and thank him or her accordingly.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- If you have already sent this month's payment, please disregard this notice.
- Perhaps you have already sent your payment, but if not, we would appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.
- If you have already remitted payment, thank you.
- If your check is already in the mail, please accept our apology for this letter.
- Please disregard this notice if payment has already been mailed.
- Your past payment history indicates that you are always prompt in your payments. If our current record of your delinquency is incorrect, please contact us immediately.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- appreciate your promptness
- appreciate your prompt attention to
- continue to serve your needs
- could you have overlooked
- don't normally experience delays
- have you sent your check
- if you have already remitted payment
- if you have already sent this month's payment
- if your payment is in the mail
- if you have already sent the payment
- if your check is already in the mail
- if your check has crossed this letter in the mail
- if we receive payment
- if you have paid within
- if you recently sent your payment
- if your payment is already on its way
- know your credit rating is important to you
- may have already arrived
- may have simply overlooked
- perhaps you have already sent payment
- perhaps your check is already in the mail
- perhaps you have already mailed
- please accept our thanks
- please accept our appreciation
- please disregard this notice
- please accept our gratitude
- realize you may have already sent
- realize your payment may already be on its way
- sure that you have already sent your payment
- takes time to reach my desk
- want to thank you if
- we have looked everywhere
- won't you please?
- would appreciate your immediate attention to this matter
- would like to continue