Example Letter #1
Thank you very much for the "customer helper" idea. As head of our sales department, I will immediately implement your suggestion of assigning a sales representative to customers planning home improvement. We are sure our customers will appreciate this additional service.
When you next return to your neighborhood store, an employee will greet you, review your home improvement needs, and assign a knowledgeable salesperson to you. As you are aware, our policy is to please our customers, and we appreciate ideas like yours that help us to serve our customers in a more efficient manner.
As our stores continue to profit, we know that the store managers will also be grateful for customers like you who help them improve their service.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for your suggesting that we maintain "nonsmoking floors" in our hotels. You were correct in noting that our policy, until now, has been to provide both smoking and nonsmoking rooms on each floor of our hotels.
Our management has looked into this policy and decided on a change. You will be glad to hear that we have agreed to implement your suggestion by maintaining smoke-free zones in each of our hotels.
We certainly thank you for your timely suggestion. Since our guests' safety and comfort are our main concern, you can be certain that we appreciate comments like yours that help us achieve this goal.
Example Letter #3
Every once in a while an especially interesting and cost-saving idea comes across my desk. Such is the case with your suggestion that we provide demonstrations in our stores' produce departments.
You are right in suggesting that we may reduce store losses and increase customer satisfaction if we show customers how to choose fruits and vegetables for their particular needs. Our management has decided to implement your idea by providing weekly demonstrations in each store's produce department.
My office is grateful for every employee suggestion that we receive. We consider every idea and some, like yours, become part of how we do business.
Example Letter #4
I want you to know how much we appreciate your suggestion to incorporate an electronic scheduling system. We discussed your proposal at our last staff meeting and decided to implement it next month. Without question, such a software system will save the company both time and money. Keep up the good work. Doe Corporation is successful because of thoughtful employees like you.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express appreciation for the suggestion.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you for taking the time to outline a better way to process our orders.
- It seems so obvious now that you mention it. Yes, we need to make this change. Thanks for calling it to our attention.
- John and I have studied your suggestion, and have concluded that we should incorporate it into our standard operating procedures.
- Thank you for calling our attention to the problem in the parking lot. We plan to follow your excellent suggestion for handling this congestion.
- We have had several suggestions regarding the holiday work schedule, but yours seems to be the most equitable. We plan to give it a try.
- Your memo suggesting that we hire a third accountant to handle the overseas accounts has convinced us that the need is real.
- Your suggestion that we begin marketing in the Springfield area is an idea whose time has come.
- I take my hat off to you! You have come up with a great idea!
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a very creative solution
- an idea whose time has come
- appreciate your suggestion
- appreciate your taking the time
- as you point out
- for calling it to our attention
- for calling our attention to
- for outlining a better way
- has convinced us
- have come up with a great idea
- have studied your suggestion about
- have had several suggestions regarding
- plan to give it a try
- plan to follow your
- seems to be the most equitable
- seems so obvious now that you mention it
- suggestion caused me to rethink
- suggestion makes good sense when you realize
- take my hat off to you
- thank you for taking the time to
- think it is a great idea
- we need to make this change
- welcome your suggestion
- your carefully thought-out suggestion
- your suggestion that we
- your innovative idea
- your memo suggesting that we
2 Explain how you plan to implement the suggestion.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I have passed it on to the editor of our newsletter for inclusion in the next issue.
- Please inform your division that we will follow these new guidelines, effective June 1.
- I will discuss your ideas with the executive committee on Thursday to see when we can make the change. I will let you know as soon as they inform me.
- I will ask the public relations director to call you so you can work this out together.
- We have asked John Doe to follow through on this decision. He will be in touch with you shortly.
- I have sent your outline to the dean. After he has had time to review it, we will know better how to proceed with the next phase.
- I will present your solution at the next meeting.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- at the next meeting
- be in touch shortly
- be discussing your ideas with
- change will take place on
- determine when we can
- discuss this further
- discuss your ideas with
- follow through on this
- have passed it on to
- have concluded that we should
- have sent your outline to
- implement the new procedure after
- include it in the next
- incorporate it in our
- is reviewing
- know better how to proceed when
- let you know
- make the change gradually
- plan to follow your
- plan to meet with
- please inform your division
- present your solution to
- would like you to meet with
3 Indicate the benefits that will result from this action.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- According to my calculations we should be able to increase revenues by 15%.
- I can see how doing it your way will eliminate the bottleneck that we always experience during the holiday season.
- I think it is a great idea that should really lift employee morale.
- With the change, we should be able to reduce annual premium payments without any loss of coverage.
- The change will result in an added measure of safety for the evening workers. It feels good.
- As you point out, this procedure will do away with the need to sign in each day.
- This procedure will help customers access their local distributors immediately.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- according to my calculations
- an added measure of
- as you point out
- give more opportunities for
- implementing this will eliminate
- increase customer confidence
- shorten the time needed for
- should be able to increase
- should see an improvement in
- should be able to reduce
- should boost morale
- the change will result in
- think it is a great idea
- will reduce wastage
- will help customers to
- will do away with
- will help employees to
- would broaden our
- would gain the support
- would get done on time
4 Close with an expression of appreciation.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- Excellent suggestions like yours have helped this company grow to its present stature.
- Thank you! You deserve a lot of credit for this.
- Our thanks to you and your staff for caring enough to help in this way.
- Thanks for helping us improve our service.
- I sincerely appreciate the time and interest you have taken in this matter.
- On behalf of management, I extend our sincere appreciation.
- Your suggestion earns a place in our "Best Suggestion" club. You will receive a plaque as a token of our appreciation.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- appreciate your help
- are always grateful for
- are always happy to
- as a token of our appreciation
- deserve credit for
- excellent suggestions like yours
- extend our sincere appreciation
- for taking the time to
- for caring enough to
- for helping us to
- look forward to
- on behalf of management
- our thanks to you and your staff
- please feel free to
- sincere desire to improve
- sincerely appreciate your
- thank you for
- the interest you have shown in
- the contribution you have made to
- to improve our service
- will look out for further suggestions
- your willingness to
- your helpful contribution