Use an acceptance letter for accepting a job, resignation, gift, invitation, honor, and many other special situations.
Even if you have accepted verbally, it is smart to write an acceptance letter to formally accept the offer and to confirm the details.
When accepting a job, promotion, appointment, public office, gift, etc.
Thank the person, business, organization, etc. when you begin your letter.
Briefly identify what it is that you are accepting.
For example, “This is a wonderful opportunity for me, and I am happy to accept the position as associate director of sales.”
Thank those who have helped you, if you feel it is appropriate.
Restate the terms as you understand them if you are formally accepting a job position or similar assignment, including the starting date, job expectations, rate of compensation, health and dental benefits, sick and vacation days, etc.
Keep the tone of your letter positive if you are accepting a resignation. Do not say anything that might make you liable for legal action.
Thank the person for the invitation if you are accepting an invitation to a social event, and express your anticipation that the event will be a success. Clarify any details about the event, if needed, such as date or time, location, dress, etc.
Recheck for errors.
For job offers and the like, the acceptance letter may become part of a company’s permanent file for you, so make sure that it is well-worded and free of embarrassing grammatical or other errors.
Close your letter by restating your appreciation for being offered the job, award, gift, etc.
- How to Accept a Job Offer: 7 Tips
- Respond to a job offer, negotiating a higher salary
- Respond to a job offer, negotiating conditions
Still can't find the right words for your acceptance letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the acceptance letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective acceptance letter.
- Print your acceptance letter and send it!