Example Letter #1
I just learned of your generous contribution to Doe Scholarship fund. To say that I was touched by your sincere devotion to our cause does not sufficiently express my gratitude. You have provided the means for 50 single mothers to finish their degrees.
I would like to visit with you on your next trip to Springfield and update you on our progress. Unless you object, your name will be recorded on a donor's plaque in our main hallway. Again, please accept my deepest gratitude for your generosity.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for your generous contribution to support deaf students and ASL teachers at the Springfield Summer Institute. These funds will allow forty additional students to attend the eight-week institute with all expenses paid.
Through your generosity through the years, over 450 hearing-impaired students have graduated from the program. Fourteen of those students have returned later to teach at the institute, and scores of others have found professional opportunities elsewhere. You have left a wonderful legacy.
We are grateful for all you have done, and pledge our best efforts in continuing this service. Please accept our warmest heartfelt thanks.
Example Letter #3
Thank you for your generous gift to the Doe Wilderness Program. Your donation allowed us to buy ten new tents that will last for many years. Your loyalty over the years to the children in the Wilderness Program has been an inspiration to us all. We look forward to seeing you at the Awards Program in June.
Example Letter #4
Your support of the Doe Organization is truly appreciated by those who need it most, the thousands of needy children and adults who participate in our year-round literacy program.
Because you ordered a magazine from Springfield Corporation, our literacy program will receive 12.5 percent of the price of your paid subscription. A bill for your magazine order is enclosed. Please return it with your check in the envelope provided.
On behalf of the participants in the Doe Organization's literacy program nation wide, we thank you for your support.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Acknowledge the contribution with a note of sincere gratitude.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you for your kind and thoughtful letter of July 15, and for your generous gift to Doe Academy.
- To say we were overwhelmed with your generosity is truly an understatement. We will surely handle this gift with the utmost care to insure that it is used wisely.
- Thank you for your continued generosity to the Doe Foundation for the Performing Arts. We appreciate your recent gift to the International Gallery.
- Thank you so much for your generous contribution to the academy. We will use the funds for the two purposes that you stipulated.
- Thank you for being a wonderful friend and contributor to the Doe Academy. Truly, one of the honors and joys of our life has been our association with you.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- appreciate your recent gift
- appreciate your latest donation
- consider it an honor
- continuing interest in and generosity to
- deepest gratitude
- deserve our deepest thanks
- express my personal appreciation
- for being a wonderful friend
- for showing your support
- for your many kindnesses and unselfish assistance
- generosity has touched many lives
- grateful for your contribution
- in a class by yourself
- joy to recognize
- kind and thoughtful letter
- pleasure to acknowledge
- recognizing the value of
- recognizing the validity of
- sincerely grateful for
- thank you for financing
- thank you for responding to our needs
- thank you for your generous contribution to
- thank you for donating
- thank you for your kindness
- thank you so much for
- thank you for your generous gift
- thank you for making this program possible
- thanks for your vote of confidence
- through the years
- to say we were overwhelmed with your generosity is
- to say we feel inadequate
- while we always appreciate contributions to
- while we always appreciate scholarship endowments
- will surely handle this gift
- willingness to contribute
- willingness to donate
- willingness to share
- wish to thank you personally
- wish to thank you
- words cannot express
- yearly donation
- your loyal support
- your continued generosity
2 Add personal comments about the significance of the contribution.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- One of the rewards of serving in my position has been getting to know you and Jane. Your willingness to share so unselfishly will help scores of students accomplish their academic goals.
Thank you, also, for the reaffirmation of your intended gift next year.
- I am deeply touched by your selfless contribution and will respect your wish to remain anonymous. Please know how much I respect and admire you. Your gift will make it possible for many disadvantaged students to complete their college educations.
- We want you to know that we consider it an honor to have the continuing support of outstanding citizens like you and your husband, who set such good examples for the youth of our community.
- Your gift makes it possible for us to help many more children who would otherwise be denied medical care. Not only do I speak in behalf of the Children's Center, but Jane and I personally appreciate our continued association with you.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- admire your generosity
- appreciate your ongoing support
- appreciate our continued association with
- are grateful for
- consider it an honor to
- for people like you
- for your continued generosity
- for your generous gift
- how much we appreciate
- is a great blessing to our
- it was a pleasure to receive
- it means a great deal
- means much to me personally
- one of the rewards of
- speak in behalf of
- thank you for
- the caring behind the gift
- the regularity with which you
- the thoughtfulness behind the donation
- to have your continuing support
- value our relationship with
- want you to know
- were deeply touched by
- were delighted to receive
- your generosity has touched many lives
- your unfailing generosity
- your philanthropic activities
- your extraordinary contribution to
3 Close with a reinforcement of your gratitude and the value of the contribution.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Jane and I look forward to seeing you again when we are in Springfield.
- Again, thank you for your generosity. We are honored to be associated with such alumni as you. We look forward to seeing you in the fall.
- Please know of our sincere gratitude for your caring and thoughtfulness.
- Again, thank you for all you do for so many of us.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- always appreciate your
- deep affection and admiration
- for your invaluable contributions
- for all you do
- for your generosity
- honored to be associated with you
- hope you take great satisfaction
- if all had your generosity
- inspire others to
- joins me in wishing you
- look forward to
- may God bless you
- need more people like you
- our doors are always open to
- play a vital role in
- recognize the caring beyond the money
- should see the look on their faces
- sincere gratitude for
- thank you for
- thank you again for
- the far-reaching effects of
- the people you will help
- to seeing you again
- will prove very valuable to
- will touch the lives of
- will benefit from your generosity
- wish you a happy and successful year
- wonderful friend and supporter
- wonderful example of
- your caring and thoughtfulness