Thank Someone For a Speech or Presentation • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
Whether you are writing a thank you note out of duty or from your personal desire to express thanks, use a sincere tone. Mention specific details and show that the speech or presentation did have an effect.
How to write this thank-you letter:
- Thank and compliment the speaker(s) or presenter(s).
- Express congratulations for an excellent performance, and point out some of the more memorable parts. If the performance was only mediocre, simply thank the person(s) for participating in the program.
- Close with a second compliment or expression of appreciation.
Example Letter #1
It seems everyone I talk to wants me to express appreciation for your inspiring presentation last week. Your years of research, your depth of understanding of user interfaces, and your ability to present the subject in such an interesting way produced one of the most memorable evenings in our group's history. I personally appreciated your approach to anticipating users' intents. The subject intrigues me, and I plan to learn more. Please consider adding our group to your annual speaking tour. You are always welcome at our conference.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for speaking to the Doe Alumni yesterday evening. We are grateful for the time and effort you took to share your thoughts and experiences with the Doe Development office.
Since we are entering a new growth phase on our campus, your comments were very timely. I believe we can benefit immediately from the methods you suggested for recruiting more members. Your enthusiasm is contagious, and we hope to use your suggestions in our next campaign. Thank you again for your contribution.
Example Letter #3
Thank you for your stimulating speech at last month's meeting of the Springfield Genealogical Society. Your comments were especially helpful to those doing research in the British Isles. Many members were at a standstill in their progress, and your talk seemed to provide much needed help. Thanks again for a truly memorable evening. We hope you can join us again.
Example Letter #4
Please accept our sincere appreciation for the outstanding presentation you made to the Springfield Women's Club about your experiences in China. It was very interesting to hear about your experience teaching in the university there. Your stories about your Chinese colleagues were fascinating. The slides you showed gave us a close look at the land, culture, and people that we couldn't have gained in any other way. Thank you so much for sharing your time and experiences with us. We all agreed that your lecture was the most interesting we have had this year.
Example Letter #5
I would like to personally thank you for your presentation to the Kansas Education Association Conference in October. Judging from the comments of those who attended, the conference was very successful. Most of the credit goes to you and the others who gave such interesting presentations.
We hope that you will want to be involved in our conference next year. We will send you a call-for-presenters form as we get closer to next year's convention. We were pleased to have your participation in this outstanding conference, and we thank you for your valuable contribution.
Example Letter #6
Thank you for taking the time to speak to our student body on the dangers of drug abuse. I felt that your remarks on prescription drug use and abuse were especially timely.
We truly appreciate parents like you who are willing to give their time and talents to enrich the lives of our young people.
Example Letter #7
I appreciated the remarks you made at the City Council meeting on Tuesday. You had clearly researched the subject, and many of us felt that yours was a voice of sanity in the midst of an emotional and divisive discussion. I wish that more people would try to see all sides of the issues that come up.
No matter how the final vote goes, I want you to know that what you said had a significant impact on many of us. Thank you.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Thank and compliment the speaker(s) or presenter(s).
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- On behalf of the members of the local Chamber of Commerce, I want to thank you for your insightful presentation yesterday.
- As chairperson for our County Fair entertainment committee, I want to thank your dance group for their delightful performance. They won the hearts of the entire audience.
- Many thanks for addressing our group on your unwed mothers' program. You are doing a wonderful service.
- The members of our book club would like to thank you for speaking to us last Thursday.
- Your lecture on new technologies for the 21st Century at our symposium last week was very interesting and informative; in fact, it was the highlight of the evening.
- Thanks for an excellent presentation. Your address to our company yesterday evening has everyone talking today.
- Thank you for the inspiring sermon that you delivered on Easter Sunday. Your message was exactly what I needed to hear.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- appreciate the time you took
- for being with us
- for sharing your
- for an outstanding presentation
- for participating so effectively
- for your thought-provoking
- for your delightful
- for helping us recognize
- for providing us with
- for accepting this assignment
- highlight of the
- hold you in such high regard
- how much we appreciated
- interesting and informative
- know how busy you are
- many thanks for
- on behalf of the
- thank you for
- volunteering your time to
- want you to know how much
- was exactly what I needed to hear
- was very kind of you to
- was a pleasure to listen to
- would like to extend my thanks
2 Express congratulations for an excellent performance, and point out some of the more memorable parts. If the performance was only mediocre, simply thank the person(s) for participating in the program.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Your talk was particularly appropriate at this time when we are considering new initiatives for expanding growth. Many of us were especially interested in your analysis of water resources available to sustain growth.
- I believe the quality and variety of their dances have set new levels of expectation for future performers.
- Several in our group have expressed appreciation for the information you presented on adoptions and educational counseling. Most were unaware of the services that are available.
- We know how busy you are, so we are grateful that you would take the time to prepare and spend an evening with us.
- Our audience was intrigued by the new possibilities for global communication. We truly are becoming a global village.
- Several of our people are looking at ways that we might implement some of your suggestions. The consensus is that they would like you to return next year as a follow-up to this event. Let me know if that is a possibility for January.
- Often we are too close to our problems to view them with the clarity that someone else would. I recognize now that I must change the way I respond to my daughter's challenges.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a very stimulating experience
- appreciated your participation
- audience was intrigued by
- consensus of opinion is
- everybody is talking about
- found ourselves identifying with
- has given rise to
- have a wonderful gift for
- held the children's attention
- identifying ways to apply
- informative and enlightening
- look forward to implementing
- made a lasting impression on
- most were unaware that
- several in our group have
- the time you took to
- touched on so many critical areas
- were particularly intrigued by
- were so pleased with
- were enthralled by your
- were especially interested in
- were previously unaware of
- your insights into
3 Close with a second compliment or expression of appreciation.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Thanks again for helping to make our monthly meeting so rewarding.
- We hope you will be able to join us again next year.
- Thank you for helping us become more aware of the problems and the ways we can help solve them.
- We hope you will consent to speak to us again, perhaps next year.
- Many thanks from all of us.
- I am grateful for the time you spend in careful preparation to present us with meaningful weekly sermons.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- a most worthwhile experience
- able to join us again
- accept our invitation to
- carry on the tradition of
- for making our meeting so
- for so generously volunteering to
- hope you will be able to
- hope you will consent to
- innovative approach to
- it was a privilege to
- look forward to
- many thanks from all of us
- played a major role in
- so many people benefited from
- such a special occasion
- thank you for
- to bring us this important message
- to share your expertise
- was a superb presentation
- was the high point of
- wish to invite you to