Thank Someone For Hospitality • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
Send this expression of thanks within a few days after the event.
How to write this thank-you letter:
- As you express thanks, mention the event or circumstance involved.
- Add specific comments about what you enjoyed, and mention details about the reader's thoughtfulness.
- If you feel so inclined, offer to reciprocate.
Example Letter #1
I couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable time than I had at your dinner party. The decorations were marvelous, the food superb, and the company fabulous. You have an ideal home and family. I don't think we'll ever forget John's funny stories after dinner.
We are fortunate to have such wonderful, thoughtful friends. We're very spontaneous, so don't hesitate to call or drop by when you feel like getting together.
Example Letter #2
Our sincere thanks for having us in your home when we attended the Doe conference last week. It gave us a chance to catch up on the news and get acquainted with your family. We especially enjoyed our evening conversations over bedtime tea. I hope we didn't impose too much on your busy schedule. Please remember that you are always welcome to stay at our place when your travels bring you to Kansas. Thanks again for your warm hospitality.
Example Letter #3
I can't tell you how much I appreciated your kindness in letting me stay at your home when I was in Springfield. It was a delight to see a loving family interact and enjoy each other's company. It showed me how a family can be close in spite of everyday pressures. You and John have created a great home atmosphere.
I would really like for all of you to come on vacation to our house near the seashore next July. I have plenty of room, and Jane would like to meet you all. I've told her a lot about you. If July is not a good time, how about August?
Example Letter #4
I want you to know how much I appreciated your inviting me out for the evening when I was in Springfield on Monday. I enjoyed the dinner and conversation, and it was a great pleasure to meet your husband.
Thank you for your kind hospitality.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 As you express thanks, mention the event or circumstance involved.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you for your hospitality in showing me around the university campus last week.
- Thank you for including us in your special evening of music. I can't remember when I've had a more enjoyable time.
- John, just a note to thank you and Jane for your hospitality in having us over when we passed through Springfield last week.
- Thank you so much for your kindness in letting our group use your home to prepare for our presentation.
- Thank you for inviting us to your open house. It was a wonderful evening.
- The dinner you gave for our faculty was simply superb.
- I want to thank you and Jane for making my first business trip to Springfield such a pleasant one.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- appreciate your hospitality
- can't remember when I have had a more enjoyable time
- enjoyed being your guest
- felt like one of the family
- felt right at home
- for having us over for
- for inviting me
- for letting us use your home for
- for your kindness and thoughtfulness
- for a wonderful evening
- for including us in your
- for your hospitality
- how much we enjoyed
- how much I appreciated
- inviting us to be a part of
- many thanks to a wonderful host and hostess
- received us with open arms
- thank you so much for
- thank you for
- thanks again for
- thoroughly enjoyed your
- want you to know how much
- want to let you know
- want to thank you and your
- was a privilege to
- was so thoughtful of you
- was a great pleasure to
- was very impressed with
- wish to thank you for
- wish to express my gratitude for
2 Add specific comments about what you enjoyed, and mention details about the reader's thoughtfulness.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I was especially impressed by the new humanities building and the computer facilities that seem to be everywhere. It was very thoughtful of you to include my father in the tour. We all appreciated your friendly gesture.
- The entire program, combined with your gracious hospitality, made the evening one we will always remember. You even remembered that I love Mozart's piano concertos. Thank you very much.
- We thoroughly enjoyed our visit, and the lasagna was terrific! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- We never expected you to go to so much effort in preparing refreshments for us.
- The view you have of the mountains is spectacular, and I especially like the openness of your new office complex. You seem to have thought of everything.
- The food was delicious, the program uplifting, and the conversation delightful. And, as always, you were a charming hostess.
- It was very kind of you to take the time to show me the sights.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- always look forward to
- an outstanding program
- an occasion we will always remember
- an evening to remember
- an unforgettable experience
- appreciate your thoughtfulness
- are looking forward to
- can certainly be proud of
- conversation was delightful
- didn't want it to end
- enjoyed being exposed to
- especially enjoyed the
- even remembered that
- food was delicious
- for sharing such a memorable event with us
- for taking us to
- for showing us the
- just being in your company
- particularly enjoyed the
- seem to have thought of everything
- such a memorable event
- thanks for sharing the
- thoroughly enjoyed ourselves
- very kind of you to
- very thoughtful of you to
- was particularly impressed with
- went to so much effort in preparing
3 If you feel so inclined, offer to reciprocate.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- If you ever come to Springfield, we would like to return the kindness and show you the university.
- I hope we can repay you in some way.
- We look forward to your visit next August.
- You are a wonderful example for the rest of us to follow.
- Perhaps one day we will be able to have our own open house--if all goes well.
- We hope you will join us when we hold our graduation dinner in May.
- I expect to reciprocate when the national convention is held in Kansas.
- Thank you for the home cooked meal and the friendly conversation.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- accept my invitation
- always welcome to stay
- don't forget the standing invitation
- expect to reciprocate
- hope you will join us
- hope to set up a tour
- hope you will allow me to
- if you plan to visit
- if there's ever a way
- if you feel inclined to
- if you ever come to
- let us return the kindness
- like to have you as my guest
- look forward to your visit in
- next time you are in town
- perhaps one day
- please stop by
- return the favor
- show you our city
- the next time you are in
- the opportunity to reciprocate
- want to share
- want you to experience
- want to keep in touch
- when we hold our
- whenever you are in Springfield
- would be my pleasure
- would like to return the kindness
- would be a privilege to
- would like to show you around
- would like you to see
- would like to entertain you