Example Letter #1
Thank you for your suggestion on how to make our deliveries more efficient. I agree that we should begin using an electronic scheduling system. It is apparent that you have thought a lot about implementing such a system, and I would like to talk with you about it. I have forwarded this message to my secretary who will call you for an appointment.
Thanks again for your message. The ideas and suggestions of innovative, thinking people are always welcome.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for your letter suggesting improvements and additions to our monthly catalog. This is exactly the kind of input we need to better serve our members' needs. I am sending your comments directly to the department manager. We welcome your involvement and will certainly consider implementing your ideas in future publications.
The Doe Company is committed to providing members with the services they need to make shopping by mail easy and worthwhile. As members continue to express their preferences, we will be able to respond with expanded and improved services.
Example Letter #3
Thank you for your excellent suggestions regarding the layout of the parking lot. Indeed, the lot is in need of repainting, and I want you to meet with the parking lot people to discuss your plan before they repaint over the old lines. Such thoughtful suggestions from our employees are the basis of most of our growth. Please feel free to submit any reasonable suggestion to the suggestion box, and thank you again.
Example Letter #4
Thank you for your candor in suggesting that we investigate our banker's record. We have done so, and we found that, while he has done nothing criminal, our money will be better off under someone else's more watchful eye. Good suggestions around here do not go unrewarded. I have enclosed a modest Suggestion Award bonus to help keep those creative thoughts flowing. Accept it with our thanks.
Example Letter #5
Thank you for your letter to Mr. Doe regarding your observations and suggestions. Mr. Doe appreciates your comments and has asked me to respond on his behalf.
Your ideas for (list ideas) are very much appreciated. Our development team welcomes unsolicited recommendations such as yours. We discover many of our most popular features are a result of comments from our customers. We are always grateful to hear from you and encourage you to pass along your thoughts.
Your patronage and continuing goodwill are very important to us. We look forward to serving your future needs.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express thanks while mentioning the specific advice or suggestion you received.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you for your astute advice on handling my investment portfolio.
- I understand your concern about the way the company has handled recent layoffs and think your suggestions were timely and well thought out.
- Your suggestion to have all the editors coordinate their work by E-mail was a stroke of genius! Thank you.
- Thank you for being so straightforward and honest about the effect our sick leave policy is having on employees.
- It was a pleasure to receive your suggestions for helping our task force deal with graffiti problems.
- Thank you for your suggestion regarding the location of our next retreat.
- Your idea for a new company slogan is nothing less than ingenious.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- always appreciate your
- am certainly grateful for your recommendations
- appreciate your loyalty to the firm
- appreciate your suggestion that we
- appreciate your willingness to
- asked me to thank you for
- by the time you read this
- for your suggestion to
- for your valuable suggestions
- for the advice you offered
- for being so straightforward and honest about
- for your feedback on
- have given the situation some careful thought
- how much we appreciate
- is obviously very important to
- is precisely what we need
- is a stroke of genius
- sounds like exactly what we need
- thank you for
- want you to know
- was glad to receive your
- was pleased to receive your
- was particularly impressed by your
- will incorporate many of your suggestions
- will certainly raise the issue at our next
- will certainly consider
- your astute advice regarding
2 Comment on why you value the advice or suggestion.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- At the time I was unaware of how many options I had. Now, I feel more in control and less vulnerable to unethical investment schemes.
- By using e-mail we will virtually eliminate travel and postage costs and be able to use our time more efficiently.
- Your suggestion to change the policy to be more in line with our parent company is a good one.
- While so many suggestions tend to be simplistic, yours were well thought out and hold real promise for success.
- I like the idea for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that we will be away from telephones and other interruptions.
- Your idea would certainly help us maintain better relationships.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a move in the right direction
- agree with you that
- by using your ideas
- by following your guidelines
- by incorporating your suggestions into
- captures the essence of
- gave us a different viewpoint
- have passed your suggestion on to
- helped me to see things differently
- highest priority is to
- infinite number of possibilities
- is such an important decision
- is certainly on the right track
- give rise to a more efficient use of
- see the situation in a different light
- should help us to
- were well thought out
- will give it every consideration
- will help us to focus on
- would help to solve the problem with
3 Explain how you will implement the suggestion or why you will not implement it at this time, or that you will give it further consideration.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I plan to meet with my benefits office in the near future to get that side of my retirement plans in order.
- I will explain the entire procedure next Thursday when we have our monthly staff meeting. It will involve the purchase of some new software, but it will be worth it.
- We plan to take the issue up with the board of directors in our fall meeting. We are unable to do anything until they meet.
- I will definitely present your suggestions to the city council when we meet next Thursday. I think several agencies will be interested in your ideas.
- My secretary will contact John next week to see whether we can reserve his cabin for those days. If the scheduling works out, I may ask you to provide us with a map of how to get there.
- We will begin to use it on our next TV spot and on our letterhead stationery after we deplete our present supplies.
- Unfortunately, we cannot implement it until the new management takes over. We will return to the issue then.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- as soon as possible
- as soon as funding becomes available
- at our next meeting with
- don't have the resources to
- have looked into the matter
- have already implemented a similar
- have decided to go ahead with
- have passed it along to
- if we can budget the resources
- is looking into the cost
- is not the right time to
- might be interested in
- needs further investigation
- nothing we can do until
- plan to meet with
- plan to take the issue up with
- sounds like a good idea
- to see whether we can
- will be pleased to know
- will be incorporated immediately
- will be able to start implementation
- will present your suggestions to
- will explain the entire procedure to
- will not be able to incorporate
4 Express appreciation and communicate an openness to receiving other good ideas.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- The few minutes I spent with you were extremely valuable. Thank you very much. I am always open to good advice.
- Thank you for your creative thinking. Keep the good ideas coming!
- We do appreciate your concern and want to do everything we can to make our policy fair and equitable. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
- I always appreciate meaningful input from concerned citizens.
- We have apparently been in one mode of thinking for so long that we haven't considered this alternative. Your innovative ideas are always welcome.
- Thanks for your dedication. Your ideas are always welcome.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- always open to good advice
- always look forward to
- appreciate your taking the time to
- appreciate your good ideas
- appreciate your concern
- don't hesitate to
- encourage you to continue
- for your dedication to
- for bringing this to my attention
- for your creative approach to
- have helped immensely in improving our
- ideas are always welcome
- keep the good ideas coming
- look forward to
- thank you for
- to make suggestions in the future
- to submit such excellent ideas
- to hearing more of your innovative ideas
- value your opinion
- were extremely valuable
- will keep your letter on file
- will be a part of your record