Example Letter #1
I have just learned of the devastating fire that occurred at your warehouse on Friday. I have some sense of the seriousness of your loss and would like to help. I have room in my large warehouse on Maple Lane that you can use until you rebuild. I will call you later in the week to see if there is anything else I can do to help.
Example Letter #2
How unfair that you should be victimized by the unkindness of another! I am sorry to hear about the robbery you and your family endured. I know such crimes make victims feel terribly violated. If the strength your family has displayed during past crises is any indication of your resiliency, this upset will only be temporary. If the children need attending to after school until they overcome the shock, please send them over.
Example Letter #3
I was very sorry to hear of your terrible loss Saturday evening. None of us was prepared for that tornado, and I couldn't believe how devastating the damage was to our community, and especially to your home. Yet in spite of it all, you supported and comforted all those around you. You have been an inspiration to us all, and you deserve equal attention. Even after we get things cleaned up, please feel free to call on me for anything you may need. I am ready and willing to help.
Example Letter #4
John and I were shocked to hear how vandals had damaged your home. It is distressing that such things can happen right here in our Springfield neighborhood. Not only do we want to assist you in cleaning up and making repairs, but we also feel it is time to start a neighborhood watch group to make our area more secure. Maybe we can discuss this more on Saturday. We'll be over at 9:00 a.m.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Briefly express your sympathy.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We are sorry that your home was destroyed by the earthquake, but we are grateful that your family escaped without injury.
- I was very concerned when I read about the theft and vandalism at your store.
- I was distressed, to say the least, when I heard about the tragedy at your plant.
- I just read the report that Doe Corporation is temporarily closing its doors for repairs.
- We were sorry to hear on last night's news of the break-in at your store.
- I am sorry to hear that you have received more than your share of misfortune at this time.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- hearts go out to you because of the destruction
- let you know how sorry we are about your
- only just learned that
- please accept our sympathy
- received more than your share of misfortune recently
- so sorry to hear of the
- the news was a most unwelcome surprise
- the destruction of your
- the theft and vandalism at your
- very distressed to learn
- was distressed to hear
- was very concerned when I read about
- was such a shock to read in the newspaper that
- was terribly shaken to hear
- was stunned to hear
- were saddened to hear of
- were shocked and angry
- were very upset to discover
- your terrible experience
- your terrifying experience
2 Sympathize with the reader's loss, but focus on the temporary nature of the setback.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- It is difficult to fathom the emotional toll of such a loss, but we hope you will let us help you put your lives back in order, one brick at a time, if necessary.
- I know how hard you worked to make everything look perfect for your customers. With your creativity and my help, I am sure we will have things back in working order soon.
- It must be heartbreaking to see such a fine facility destroyed by fire. I am sure, however, that you have the courage and resourcefulness to bounce back.
- Based on your excellent track record, I am sure you will weather this loss and emerge from it stronger than ever.
- You must be feeling sick to have lost so many beautiful antiques. Starting over is never easy, but you have the drive and resourcefulness to make it to the top again.
- Although this trial may seem insurmountable now, remember that the courage and persistence you have demonstrated in the past will again pull you through this setback.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- always hard to start over
- anyone else would have caved in
- difficult to fathom the emotional toll
- emerge from this stronger than ever
- hang in there
- has been a very trying year for you
- have the drive and resourcefulness
- have the courage and resourcefulness
- heartbreaking to see such a fine facility destroyed
- hope you will be back on your feet quickly
- know that you will weather this loss
- know how hard you worked to make everything perfect
- know that you are already eager
- must be feeling sick inside
- pull you through this setback
- such a severe loss
- sure we will have things back in working order soon
- sure you will be able to bounce back
- the courage and persistence you have demonstrated
- will land on your feet
- won't let this drag you down
- your tenacious courage
- your excellent track record
3 Offer further condolences or support.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Please accept our offer of food, clothing, transportation, or a place to stay while you are calculating the damages.
- I know an expert contractor who would be wonderful to work with in restoring your shop.
- Ours has always been a cooperative relationship; consequently, we will do all we can to ensure that you get back on your feet as soon as possible.
- I will be more than happy to discuss with you some of the things others in your situation have done to cope with such a loss. There are more options available than most of us would imagine.
- Our church group is eager to organize Saturday work groups to help out however they may be needed.
- If we can be of any help to you as you rebuild your business, please don't hesitate to ask.
- Know that we are all rooting for you.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- am here to be your friend
- anything at all we can do to help
- are all rooting for you
- be assured of my availability
- do call if I can give you a hand
- give you a place to stay while you
- grateful you all escaped unharmed
- grateful that you are all safe
- help each other through times of crisis
- help you get back on your feet
- here for anything you may need
- hope you will let us help you in any way we can
- if we can be of any help to you
- may you have the strength and courage to rebuild
- placing myself at your disposal
- please accept our offer
- please let us know
- please don't hesitate to ask
- realize our loss is small compared to yours
- sorry you have to go through such a difficult time
- will do all we can to help you
- would be happy to tend your children