Resign from a Job When Forced Out Under Pressure • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
If you are forced to either resign from a position or be discharged, your resignation letter may be short and abrupt. No explanations are necessary; recriminations are usually pointless.
How to write this resignation letter:
- Make a direct statement that you are resigning. Include the job or position title and an effective date. Technically, this is all the information necessary.
- State the reasons, if appropriate, but very briefly.
- Express gratitude, if appropriate, for job experience and work relationships.
- Establish, if you want to, that your files and current projects are in order.
Example Letter #1
Disappointing and unexpected circumstances demand that I submit my resignation from my position as Area Coordinator, effective immediately.
I recently received word that my territories have been reassigned and that I must either transfer to a neighboring state or submit my resignation. Because my husband's current position is far more lucrative than mine, it is not financially prudent for me to transfer to another location. I wish to seek another position similar to this one immediately.
Despite my disappointment, I want to thank you for the excellent training I have received while working at Doe Corporation. I have no doubt that the skills I have acquired will enable me to find other employment more in line with my career objectives.
My files are in order and up to date. Each one has extensive notes detailing events that took place prior to reassigning the territories. My successor, therefore, should have little difficulty assuming my responsibilities.
Example Letter #2
Under extreme duress I submit this letter of resignation from my position as Project Planner, effective today.
Over the past six months, my responsibilities have slowly been eliminated. When I started here I regularly put in 60 hours a week. Now, I sit in my office with little to do. Most of my responsibilities have been dispersed among my peers; yet additional assignments have not been forthcoming. Attempts to discover why this is so have been futile. For these reasons I have concluded that I must resign.
Because my duties have largely been assumed by others, my leaving should not create any major problems. If there is anything you wish to settle, please notify me as soon as possible.
Example Letter #3
Given the choice to either resign or be discharged, I hereby submit my resignation from my position as a technical writer, effective two weeks from today.
Because I don't understand why I have been forced to resign, I feel angry and betrayed. You requested that I quit publishing my writings on controversial topics while employed at Doe's, but you did not stipulate that I must also cease to do research. I have stopped publishing, but still you maintain that I have not fulfilled my obligation to you. In my view, this is wrongful termination and I will consult with an attorney shortly.
I envisioned a long, fruitful career here at Doe's and I am deeply distressed that this is not going to be the case. My responsibilities were both challenging and rewarding. When a replacement is hired, I will gladly explain what this position entails and how to fulfill each obligation properly. Also, I will update my superiors and forward to them difficult or confusing projects that I am unable to complete before my departure.
Example Letter #4
I am resigning as air traffic controller, effective tomorrow. I love my work and my record, prior to Tuesday's fatal runway accident, is flawless. Nevertheless, I submit my resignation, but under protest.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Make a direct statement that you are resigning. Include the job or position title and an effective date. Technically, this is all the information necessary.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Effective immediately, I am resigning from my position as comptroller.
- Pursuant to our conversation this morning, I am resigning from my position as Security Chief, effective Friday, April 12.
- I hereby submit this letter of resignation, effective today.
- At your specific request, I am submitting this letter of resignation, effective at your convenience, but I am doing so under protest.
- You have made it clear that my services in this company are no longer needed, so I am submitting my resignation with an effective date of noon today, May 12.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- after considerable thought and soul searching
- after considerable thought, I have decided to
- although I enjoy my position as
- although I enjoy my work
- as of this date, I am formally resigning as
- as soon as you find a replacement
- circumstances require that I resign my position as
- doing so under protest
- effective on the last day of this month
- effective at your convenience, but no later than
- effective immediately
- feel that the change will be beneficial to all parties
- final date of employment will be
- have no choice but to resign
- hereby submit my resignation as
- hereby resign from my position with
- leave the company by the end of this month
- made this decision after months of deliberation
- must leave no later than
- offer my resignation as
- please accept my resignation as
- please consider this my official resignation
- recent events require that
- required two-week notice
- submit this resignation under protest
- to notify you that
- to inform you that
- will be leaving my position as
- wish this resignation to take effect on
- with some sadness I submit
- with great reluctance I am submitting my resignation
- with some sadness that I
- with much reluctance and regret
- with deep regret that after
- would like to leave as soon as possible
2 State the reasons, if appropriate, but very briefly.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Your understanding of the present situation is not entirely accurate.
- I have no desire to work in a company where my contributions as Chemical Engineer are not fully appreciated and inadequately compensated.
- Your perception of the quality of my work is not substantiated, either by my employee evaluation reports or by my sales commission records.
- I submit this resignation under protest and vigorously assert my innocence in these allegations. I will be consulting with my attorney about this matter, and we will take any action necessary to clear my name.
- I am sorry that we lost the Doe contract, but there is more to the story than you know
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- you are no doubt aware
- cannot accept your reasoning
- determined to overcome
- feel strongly about
- has reached a point that
- have made a substantial contribution to the company
- have come to the realization
- have met with you several times
- if there are any problems
- if the circumstances were encouraging
- is not intended to reflect adversely upon
- makes it impossible to continue
- more to the story than you know
- my employee evaluations and ratings have always been very high
- my first priority at this time is
- need to clear my name
- seeking professional help for my problem
- unfortunately, you are misinformed
- vigorously assert my innocence in these allegations
- will be consulting with my attorney
- will take all necessary action
- with mixed emotions
- would be an understatement to say
3 Express gratitude, if appropriate, for job experience and work relationships.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I want to thank you for all the help you have given me during the past few years.
- Among the many enjoyable aspects of my job are the friendly relationships I have developed here.
- The knowledge and experience I have gained in the last few years are invaluable.
- Please express my appreciation to those in the division who have supported me so well these past months.
- Although we differ in the way we handle problems, I appreciate your commitment to producing a professional product.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- accept my thanks for the opportunity you gave me to
- always remember your consideration
- am grateful for the opportunity to work with
- best wishes to all of you for
- best wishes to you always
- best wishes for the future success of
- experience gained during my association with
- experience working with you has been invaluable
- express my sincere appreciation to
- for the guidance you gave me
- had the opportunity to work with such a dedicated group of people
- opportunity to earn my degree at night school through
- will always remember the personal attention
4 Establish, if you want to, that your files and current projects are in order.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- My books and records are in order, and I have prepared progress reports detailing the status of my current projects. I will be happy to respond to any questions you or my replacement may have about my work.
- My staff is quite capable of carrying on until a replacement is appointed. I would even suggest promoting my assistant, Jane Doe, to be the new department head.
- You will find that all of my files are as they should be--up to date and in proper order. I will, of course, remove my personal property from the office.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- be happy to assist with training my replacement
- before taking my leave
- finish the projects before my departure
- glad to help train my replacement
- happy to assist you in finding a suitable replacement
- happy to respond to any questions
- make sure that the transition goes smoothly
- my books and records are in proper order
- orient the new person
- prepare status reports with sufficient detail for my successor
- willing to stay for a reasonable amount of time to train my replacement
- would suggest promoting my assistant to