Example Letter #1
With much reluctance I wish to inform you of my resignation as Personnel Director, effective as soon as arrangements can be made to hire a new director. Last week, while inquiring about changes in my productivity, we discussed the fact that despite adequate sleep and nutrition I had been feeling unusually tired. We concluded that a visit to the doctor was in order. Since then, my doctor has informed me that I have Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome (CFIDS). Unfortunately, the erratic hours and the fast pace of our work environment worsen the effects of my illness. For these reasons, my doctor has advised a cessation of all work activity and full bed rest for an indefinite amount of time.
I am distressed that poor health dictates that I must quit my job. I searched a long time to find the kind of job that not only encourages the use of my creativity and is intellectually stimulating, but also affords an opportunity to meet with a variety of people on a daily basis. I appreciate the opportunity I have had to work here and sincerely hope that I may return when I regain my health.
Because my current major projects have been completed, now is the best time for my departure. Except for a few minor tasks, there is nothing that demands my immediate attention. However, if problems should arise, please contact me at home and I will gladly assist you in any way I can.
Example Letter #2
Effective immediately, I resign from my position as a counselor. I can no longer bear the high level of stress here at the Medical Center. I am, however, glad for the opportunity I have had to work here. This past year I have learned a great deal about my capabilities, as well as my limitations. Now that I realize I am not well-suited for this type of work, I intend to change my course of study. Fortunately, I discovered this before expending time and money in a field that is not right for me.
I decided to quit last week when Jane Doe notified me that she wanted to return to work here as soon as we had an opening. Since Jane is a previous employee, training her for this position would not be an issue. As she can assume my duties immediately, this should provide a workable solution for all parties involved.
Example Letter #3
Although I enjoy working here at Doe Realty, I am compelled to offer my resignation as a field representative, effective two weeks from today, or sooner if possible. I wish I could do otherwise but recent events have persuaded me to carefully examine the direction my life is taking. Unhappily, my position, which requires frequent entertaining of company clients, dramatically increases my exposure to alcohol, which has become a serious problem. Because my health and family are top priority, I must remove myself from all circumstances which could threaten my full recover from this addiction.
But my job has been a wonderful experience. In addition to fostering intellectual growth, it has afforded opportunities of travel and adventure. I cherish the relationships I have had with my colleagues and I will miss all of you, but it is time to change the direction of my life. I am confident that the expertise I have acquired will enable me to find a good position elsewhere.
I expect to complete all of my outstanding obligations within the next week. Furthermore, I have arranged for my colleagues and my assistant to assume my responsibilities should it take longer than is expected to find a replacement.
Example Letter #4
With much regret I advise you of my intention to resign as Director of Marketing as soon as a replacement is hired. Let me assure you, my decision to retire early is as unexpected for me as it is for you. I was recently diagnosed with a severe illness and advised by my doctor to decrease my work activities immediately. Although my responsibilities here bring me a great deal of satisfaction, they also cause a considerable amount of tension and anxiety. Hence, it is imperative that I contemplate my early retirement and plan for a more serene lifestyle.
Please accept my heartfelt thanks for your support, encouragement, and cooperation over the years. I have been fortunate, indeed, to work for a company that provides a challenging yet pleasant atmosphere. Close ties cultivated with my co-workers have greatly enriched my life. My admiration and respect for them make it that much more disappointing to end my career with Doe Corporation. It is truly disheartening that the state of my health must govern my decision to retire.
Because I understand that my precipitous departure could create transitional problems, I want to assure you that I will do everything possible to see that my duties are efficiently assumed by my replacement. Despite my doctor's directive, I anticipate consulting on a part-time basis during the busy seasons. If you are interested, I am available to help out on those occasions. Knowing that the door is open will help make my obligatory retirement somewhat more appealing.
Example Letter #5
It is with great sadness that I submit my resignation as Executive Vice-President of Doe Co. as of May 18, 2019. My health is failing, and I am unable to further commit myself physically to the position. This was a trying decision for me and for my family, but necessary in order to maintain my health. Thank you for the experience, opportunity, and challenge of working at Doe. I have enjoyed it, and it has made life rewarding in many ways for my family and me. We will always be grateful.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Make a clear and direct statement that you are resigning. Identify by title the position you are leaving, and give an effective date.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Please accept this notice of resignation from my position as manager, effective in two weeks.
- Although I love my job here at Doe Corporation, my deteriorating health forces me to resign my position as Executive Secretary, effective on the last day of this month, May 31, 2018.
- I am sorry to inform you that I must resign from my Assistant Sales Manager position and leave the company by the end of this month.
- I appreciate the time you spent with me this morning discussing my current health situation. This letter will make official my resignation from the company and from my position as Credit Manager, effective at the end of this month.
- With great regret I submit my resignation from my position with the Doe Corporation, effective at your convenience within the next three weeks.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- after considerable thought and soul-searching
- after considerable thought, I have decided to
- although I have enjoyed my work in
- am afraid that I must withdraw
- am sorry to have to tell you that
- am tendering my resignation as
- am offering notice so that
- an earlier departure would be more convenient
- as soon as you find a replacement
- as soon as would be conveniently possible
- at your convenience
- circumstances require that I resign my position as
- decided to resign my position as
- effective immediately, I am formally resigning as
- effective at your convenience, but no later than
- effective on the last day of this month
- feel that the change will be beneficial to
- feel that it is the right decision for me
- final date of employment will be
- find it necessary to tender my resignation
- have enjoyed my work as
- hereby resign from my position as
- hereby submit my resignation
- is written with sadness over leaving
- it is with deep regret that after
- it is with sadness that I submit
- made this decision after months of deliberation
- must leave no later than
- my deteriorating health forces me to resign from my position as
- my current health situation requires
- offer my resignation as
- personal problems compel me to
- please accept my regrets
- please consider this my resignation
- please accept my resignation as
- please accept this letter as official notification of my intent to resign
- recent events demand that
- suggest an effective date of
- to inform you that
- to notify you that
- to inform you that I plan to
- will be leaving my position as
- wish to resign from my position
- wish this resignation to take effect
- with great reluctance I am submitting my resignation, effective
- with mixed feelings of leaving
- with regret I submit my letter of resignation as
2 Comment on your reasons for leaving, and discuss the difficulty of the decision, if appropriate.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I have enjoyed my work as Area Supervisor during the last five years, but my health will no longer permit me to do the kind of work you expect from me and which I expect from myself.
- I am sorry to give such short notice, but the rapid deterioration of my health in the last few weeks dictates full bed rest and a course of treatment that will leave me incapacitated for some time.
- My doctor tells me that if I don't slow down and let my body heal I won't last five more years.
- My doctor has informed me that my heart condition will prevent me from ever again doing the kind of rapid walking and physical exertion required in my job as Assembly Line Inspector.
- I have decided to take my doctor's advice and move to an area with a warmer climate and a lower pollen count. Right now, my health is my top priority.
- Although I love my job here at Doe Corporation, my doctor told me that I must change my line of work or suffer the consequences.
- While I don't care to go into details about my health problems, please be assured that they are very serious, and I feel I should resign before they affect my ability to do my job.
- Right now, my health has to take priority over my job.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- because of a health condition I have developed, my doctor has advised me to
- decided to take my doctor's advice
- would rather not go into details about my health problems
- have been advised by my physician to
- health problems have drained me of the energy and enthusiasm that
- if the circumstances were right
- it will come as no surprise
- it has reached a point that
- makes it difficult to continue
- move to an area with a warmer climate
- my health takes priority at this time
- my first priority at this time is
- my health will no longer permit me to
- several other things I would like to do while I can still
- want to retire before my health problems affect my work
3 Express appreciation and gratitude for relationships and good times.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I appreciate the assistance you have given me and the confidence you have shown in my abilities from the start.
- I want to thank you for all the help you have given me during the past few years. I felt very unsure of myself when I started here five years ago, but under your guidance and supervision I have developed confidence and skill.
- I appreciate the time you spent training me to make sure that I did my job properly. You were also compassionate when I made mistakes and stood by me even when the home office wanted to let me go.
- Among the many enjoyable aspects of my job are the friendly relationships I have developed here. ? I count you and the other people in the office among my closest friends.
- I count you and the other people in the office among my closest friends.
- The knowledge and experience I have gained in the last few years have been invaluable.
- You have helped make my years here successful and productive.
- I appreciate your willingness to be flexible in scheduling while I finished law school. I will never forget your kindness.
- I have always appreciated your confidence in my abilities.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- a genuine pleasure to have worked with you
- a very important part of my career
- accept my thanks for the opportunity you gave me to
- all the help you have given me during
- will always remember your consideration
- am grateful for the opportunity to work with
- appreciated your interest in my career
- best wishes to you always
- best wishes to all of you for
- best wishes for the future success of
- can't tell you how much I have enjoyed working for
- enjoyed working for the company
- enjoyed my time with the company
- everything you have done for me
- experience working with you has been invaluable
- express my sincere appreciation to
- for being a supportive supervisor
- for the pleasant yet challenging atmosphere
- for all your support and encouragement over the years
- had the opportunity to work with such a dedicated group of people
- has been a valued part of my life
- have my respect and admiration
- have enjoyed working with you
- have developed valuable ties with the
- have enjoyed very much working under
- have learned a great deal
- it has been a pleasure working with you
- my work here has always been a great source of satisfaction
- sincerely wish everyone success in their future endeavors
- the guidance you gave me
- the most enjoyable aspect of my job has been
- the many kindnesses you extended to me and my family
- the opportunity to earn my degree at night school through
- the support and encouragement you have given me
- will always remember you for
- will have fond memories of
- will miss all my friends at
4 Discuss the time needed for an orderly transition and transferal of your responsibilities.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- I will be glad to help orient and train my replacement, but my secretary, Carol, could also perform that task adequately.
- I don't want to leave uncompleted projects. If you would prefer, I will either finish the projects before my end of the month departure or prepare status reports with sufficient detail for my successor. This should create a smooth transition with a minimum of lost time and confusion.
- My staff is quite capable of carrying on until a replacement is appointed. I would even suggest promoting my assistant, Jane Doe, to be the new department head.
- I will be happy to assist you in finding a suitable replacement.
- I will be happy to stay for a reasonable amount of time to train my replacement and make sure that the transition goes smoothly, but I would like to leave as soon as possible.
- My books and records are in order, and I have prepared progress reports detailing the status of my current projects. Of course, I will be happy to respond to any questions you or my replacement may have about the reports or the projects.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- be happy to assist with training my replacement in
- before taking my leave
- finish the projects before my departure
- glad to help train my replacement
- happy to stay for a reasonable amount of time to train my replacement
- happy to assist you in finding a suitable replacement
- happy to respond to any questions you or my replacement may have about
- make sure that the transition goes smoothly
- my books and records are in proper order
- prepare status reports with sufficient detail for my successor
- would suggest promoting my assistant