Resign to Take an Early Retirement • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
People take early retirement to travel, devote time to other interests, start a business, take advantage of financial incentives, or to escape from a line of work they dislike or no longer care about. Whatever your reason may be--let this letter be a positive expression of your experience. Little is gained by negative words at parting.
How to write this resignation letter:
- Make a clear and direct statement of your intention to resign. Identify by title the position you are leaving, and give an effective date.
- Give your reasons for leaving, explaining the difficulty of the decision, if appropriate.
- Express appreciation and gratitude for relationships and good times.
- Discuss the time for an orderly transition and transferal of your responsibilities.
- If you want to continue working on a limited basis, solicit opportunities for consulting or on-call assignments.
Example Letter #1
As of May 28, 2019, I will no longer serve as chief engineer at Doe Corporation. With the decline in government contracts, I have decided to accept Doe's enticing offer for early retirement. My wife and I are looking forward to relaxing excursions in our motor home while we still enjoy good health.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my work and my associations with you. As soon as I know who my successor will be, I will be happy to explain the status of each active project and orient him or her to the chief engineer's managerial assignments. Once again, thank you for these rewarding years with Doe.
Example Letter #2
I have decided to take early retirement effective July 31, 2019. There is just too much I want to do before I am too old to do it. I have never made a more difficult decision, but now that I have made it, I am very excited about the future.
My time with Doe has been enriching and enjoyable. I will miss everyone here and want to do whatever is necessary to make the transition smooth. I also want you to know that I am interested in consulting on a part-time basis, if the need arises.
Example Letter #3
With apprehension and yet a sense of excitement, I wish to advise you of my intention to retire from my position as Marketing Director without delay. My announcement may seem rather sudden, but in all honesty, I have been contemplating early retirement for some time. Thus, when investments of mine recently profited generously, it strengthened my resolve to do the traveling my husband and I have long dreamed of.
Despite my intention to retire early, I still feel a deep sense of gratitude for the opportunity I have had to work at Doe Associates. The substantial support I consistently received from management contributed immensely to many productive and prosperous years here. Many of my closest friendships were made while working on special projects or training others in the department. You are a dedicated group. I hope your future efforts meet with great success.
Although I would like to leave as soon as possible, I will gladly stay for a reasonable amount of time to tie up loose ends and train my successor. However, I strongly recommend promoting my assistant who has done a stellar job of assuming my responsibilities in my absence.
Because the weather here is so beautiful during the summer, I plan to stay in town. During those months, if you are interested, I would be happy to consider consulting for you on a limited basis. Please let me know as soon as possible if you plan to accept my offer.
Example Letter #4
After careful thought, I have decided to accept the early retirement package offered me and am therefore resigning from my position as Head of Design. Having made the decision, I would like to leave as soon as possible, but will, of course, be willing to stay for a reasonable amount of time to allow you to find and train a replacement.
My memories of twenty-five years here at Doe are very happy ones, and I wish the company and my coworkers all the best for the future.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Make a clear and direct statement of your intention to resign. Identify by title the position you are leaving, and give an effective date.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Some time between now and the end of the year, but preferably before October 1, I plan to take early retirement from my position as Northwest Division Supervisor.
- I submit my retirement notice with mixed emotions, because I love working at Doe Corporation as Head of Security; on the other hand, I feel the need to explore other interests.
- Please accept this letter as notice that I will be leaving my position as Division Head to take early retirement.
- Please accept this letter as official notice of my resignation from my position as Computer Designer to take early retirement. As we agreed in our conversation this morning, I will be leaving at the end of this month or sooner, if a replacement is found.
- As you well know, I am scheduled for retirement when I turn 65 in May of 2019. However, after serious consideration, I have decided to take early retirement from my position as accountant, effective at the end of this quarter.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- after considerable thought and consideration
- after considerable thought, I have decided to
- although I enjoy my work as
- am submitting notice of my early retirement
- am sorry to inform you that
- am offering notice so that
- an earlier departure would be more convenient
- as early as would be conveniently possible
- as soon as you find a replacement
- at your convenience
- decided to take early retirement from my position as
- effective at your convenience, but no later than
- effective on the last day of this month
- effective two weeks from the date of this letter
- feel that it is the right decision for me
- feel that the change will be beneficial to all parties
- final date of employment will be
- have decided to take an early retirement
- hereby resign from my position with
- it is with mixed feelings that I submit
- the purpose of this letter is to notify you that
- it is with deep regret that I
- intend to leave the company by the end of this month
- little to be gained in delaying my retirement
- made this decision after months of deliberation
- must leave no later than
- personal problems compel me to
- plan to take early retirement from my position as
- please accept my regrets
- please consider this letter official notice of my early retirement
- sorry that I must eave
- sorry to inform you that
- submit this notice of retirement with mixed emotions
- suggest an effective date of
- to take an early retirement
- to inform you of my decision to
- to inform you that I plan to
- to announce my decision to resign early
- when a replacement is found
- will be taking early retirement at the end of the year
2 Give your reasons for leaving, explaining the difficulty of the decision, if appropriate.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I've decided that there is little purpose in delaying my retirement for three more years.
- I have enjoyed my work here immensely, but my wife and I would like to pursue other interests right now while we are still young.
- After 30 years of punching the time clock, I am ready for a change. Fortunately, the company's early retirement incentive makes it possible for me to leave with little financial loss.
- The company's recent incentive for early retirement has been so appealing that I have decided to accept it at the end of this fiscal year.
- I have long dreamed of opening my own store. I recently realized that if I didn't take the leap soon, it would never happen.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- am taking early retirement because of
- am ready to move on
- came to the realization that
- early retirement incentive makes it possible for me to leave
- have long dreamed of
- have always wanted to be
- have long given serious thought to making a change
- is not intended to reflect adversely upon
- is too good to ignore
- it will come as no surprise
- my primary interest has been in
- my first priority at this time in my life is
- plan to pursue my interest in
- ready to devote the rest of my life to other interests
- very little financial loss
- while we are still young
- withdraw in order to pursue other interests
- would like to pursue other interests right now
3 Express appreciation and gratitude for relationships and good times.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I have enjoyed tremendously my association with Doe Corporation during the last 30 years. My job here has always been a great source of personal satisfaction to me. You and my other co-workers are among the finest people I have ever known.
- I appreciate the assistance you have given me and the confidence you have shown in my abilities from the start.
- I want to thank you for all the help you have given me during the past few years.
- I appreciate the time you spent training me in order to make sure that I did my job properly. You were patient when I made mistakes and encouraged my growth.
- Among the many enjoyable aspects of my job are the friendly relationships I have developed here.
- I count you and the other people in the office among my closest friends.
- The knowledge and experience I have gained in the last few years are invaluable.
- You have helped make my years here successful and productive.
- I appreciate your willingness to be flexible in scheduling while I finished law school. I will never forget your kindness.
- I have always appreciated your confidence in my abilities.
- I appreciate your genuine concern for my professional growth.
- I appreciate your friendship and association more than I can say.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- a genuine pleasure to have worked with you
- accept my thanks for the opportunity you gave me to
- always remember your consideration
- am grateful for the opportunity to work with
- best wishes to you always
- best wishes to all of you for
- best wishes for the future success of
- enjoyed working with you
- everything you have done for me
- experience working with you has been invaluable
- experience gained during my association with
- express my sincere appreciation to
- for the chance to work and learn at
- for the pleasant, yet challenging atmosphere
- for your help over the years
- for all your support and encouragement
- for being a supportive supervisor
- has prepared me well for
- have my respect and admiration
- have enjoyed working with you
- have greatly enjoyed my tenure with
- have developed valuable ties with
- have learned a great deal
- it has been a pleasure working with you
- keep fond memories
- my work has always been a great source of satisfaction
- significant career growth which I shall always appreciate
- the many kindnesses you extended to me and my family
- the opportunity to earn
- the support and encouragement you have given me
4 Discuss the time for an orderly transition and transferal of your responsibilities.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- I will be happy to stay for a reasonable amount of time to train my replacement and make sure that the transition goes smoothly, but I would like to leave as soon as possible.
- As I do not want my departure to cause problems, I will try to finish my current projects before the end of the month. If I am not able to complete them, I will prepare status reports in sufficient detail for my successor to take over with a minimum of lost time and confusion.
- I will be happy to assist you in finding a suitable replacement.
- My staff is quite capable of carrying on until a replacement is appointed. I would even suggest promoting my assistant, Jane Doe, to be the new department head.
- My books and records are in order, and I have prepared progress reports detailing the status of the projects I have been working on. I will be happy to respond to any questions you or my replacement may have about my work.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- be happy to assist with training my replacement in
- before taking my leave
- orient and train the new person
- finish the projects before my end-of-the-month departure
- glad to help acclimate and train my replacement
- happy to assist you in finding a suitable replacement
- happy to respond to any questions you or my replacement may have about
- happy to stay for a reasonable amount of time to train my replacement
- make sure that the transition goes smoothly
- my books and records are in proper order
- prepare status reports with sufficient detail for my successor
- if you would like more time to find a replacement
- would suggest promoting my assistant
5 If you want to continue working on a limited basis, solicit opportunities for consulting or on-call assignments.
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- Although I must relinquish my full-time work schedule, I would appreciate it if you would add my name to the list of consultants.
- As you know, I set up my own consulting company a few years ago and will continue doing that work on a limited basis. I would appreciate any work you can offer.
- I plan to do a limited amount of consulting during the next few years, so if any potential clients approach you with projects that are too small to be worth your while, I would appreciate the extra business.
- I would not mind being involved in special short-term projects during the summer months while we are in the area, but we plan to head south during the winter.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- appreciate any work you can spare
- appreciate it if you would add my name to the list of consultants
- during the summer months
- have made a substantial contribution to the company
- my employee evaluations and ratings have always been
- plan to do a limited amount of consulting
- would not mind being involved in special short-term projects
- would appreciate the extra business