Example Letter #1
According to the notes I took during my six-month review, I was entitled to a raise last pay period, provided I brought in the Doe account, and I have done so. Doe Inc. signed a contract for services on March 1. Accordingly, I am requesting the salary raise promised in my interview. Thank you for considering my request.
Example Letter #2
Since I joined the development team six months ago, we have raised over $200,000 in donations. I believe that I have proved myself a valuable addition to the team, and I would like to meet with you about being promoted to assistant department head when John leaves next month. I appreciate your consideration of this request.
Example Letter #3
As you may recall, I was working on my Master's degree when I joined the company six months ago. You mentioned at the time that I would qualify for a salary increase as soon as I had earned the degree. Well, I am delighted to inform you that I have now completed the degree. I therefore request that you proceed with the raise as we discussed.
I look forward to receiving your response.
Example Letter #4
Since John Doe left the company three months ago, I have been acting as temporary night supervisor. I feel that I have done the job well, and am ready to take on these responsibilities permanently.
I would appreciate your looking over my records, and trust that you will agree that I merit the promotion and associated raise in salary. Thank you for your consideration.
Example Letter #5
I have been employed by your company for over three years now, and I am sure you would agree that I have become a valuable asset in the computer programming department. During my tenure here, I have provided you with unwavering loyalty and have been committed to working above and beyond the responsibilities of my position. I have also used the full range of my capabilities to help make your organization the successful enterprise it is today. My professionalism is above reproach and my performance record speaks for itself. Routinely, I have taken the initiative to seek out additional work assignments, and you have always been able to count on me to get the job done right.
With that being said, I want to take this opportunity to request a promotion and its accompanying raise. I believe I have proven myself to be a loyal and dependable employee who really deserves a promotion and a raise. The financial compensation and greater challenges this would provide would make me feel that I have made an important advancement in my career. I know that you will understand that if you allow me the opportunity to spread my wings beyond my present boundaries, I can provide even greater service to this company.
I ask you to seriously consider my request. I suggest that we sit down together and discuss the matter further. That way we could examine how granting this request would not only benefit me personally, but the company's success and financial growth as well.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Immediately state the reasons why you believe you are qualified to receive a promotion or a raise. Statements of your accomplishments will add credibility to your request.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- This month marks the completion of my first year of work at the Doe Corporation. During that time I have never missed a day, I have met every deadline, and have maintained excellent employee evaluation ratings.
- Over the past year, I streamlined and implemented the production process, which increased production by 14% and reduced annual operating expenses by more than $200,000.
- On March 2, I will receive my computer science degree with emphasis in mathematics from Doe University.
- Upon accepting my current position, I understood that you, as my immediate supervisor, would periodically evaluate my work for the purpose of granting a pay raise.
- Since John left, I have been fulfilling his responsibilities as well as my own and I feel I have handled the situation well.
- I have enjoyed working at the Doe Corporation and have been honored to have held the prestigious title of "Employee of the Year" for two consecutive years.
- Over the past year I have made several contributions which have led to a ten percent increase in profits.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- am already functioning in
- am already carrying the
- experience I have gained in
- gained significant experience in
- have just received
- have completed the
- have participated fully in
- have contributed to
- have now been working for
- have been recognized for
- in the position of
- made significant contributions toward
- marks the completion of
- my employee evaluations have been
- periodic evaluations of
- ready for further responsibilities
- responsibilities have increased
- the responsibilities of
- through difficult times
- was responsible for
- will shortly complete
2 In a respectful manner, request a promotion, a raise, or a salary and responsibility review.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I believe that my education and the experience I have gained over the past two years warrant a pay increase.
- Since I am already training half of my department, I hope that you will consider advancing my official position to that of trainer and allow my salary to reflect the increased responsibility.
- I feel that I am capable of taking on the extra responsibility and respectfully request a promotion and salary raise.
- I request a review for the purpose of obtaining a pay increase.
- Since I have completed my introductory period, may we schedule an interview to discuss my performance and the possibility of a raise in my base salary?
- Based on the expertise I have gained over the past ten years, I wish to request the position of Department Supervisor, which John Doe will vacate at the end of this month.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- advance me to
- am capable of
- an increase in
- ask that you will
- could we schedule a
- hereby request a
- hope that you will consider
- in order to review my
- promote me to
- raise my salary
- request the position of
- request a review of
- request that you will
- respectfully request a
- seek advancement to
- to further the company's growth
- to a level commensurate with my
- warrants an increase in
- would serve the company well as
- would help the company to
3 Thank your reader for considering your request.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Thank you for considering my request.
- Thank you for considering my petition.
- I will appreciate your evaluation.
- I look forward to receiving your response.
- Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.
- I will appreciate your attention to this matter.
- Thank you.
- I welcome your comments and am grateful for your consideration.
- Thank you for acknowledging my request.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- for your efforts on my behalf
- for considering my
- for your consideration of
- for taking the time to
- look forward to
- thank you
- thank you for
- to meeting with you
- to receiving your response
- to discussing this further
- will appreciate your
- will very much appreciate
- your consideration of this matter
- your attention to this matter
- your careful evaluation of