Request a Copy of an Official Document • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
Before writing this letter, you may want to make a telephone inquiry about fees or other documents that should accompany it. Include in the letter as much relevant information as you can to help your reader find the document.
How to write this request letter:
- Ask for the document and inform the reader where to send it.
- If applicable, indicate that you have enclosed the required documents or fees.
- Thank the reader.
Example Letter #1
I am writing to request a copy of my graduation certificate awarded in the spring commencement services. Unfortunately, I lost the original when my briefcase was stolen from my car. I am enclosing a copy of the police report to support my claim, along with a certified check for $27.50 to cover the replacement fee. My name and other identifying information are included in the report. Please send the certificate to the address below. Thank you for your assistance.
Example Letter #2
Please send me a certified copy of the plat map that encompasses 1600 South Main Street, Springfield, KS 12345, and mail it to that address. I have enclosed $15.00 to cover the copying charges and $2.50 for shipping. Thank you for your prompt attention.
Example Letter #3
I am engaged in genealogical research and need a long copy of my great grandmother's birth certificate. Her birth was registered in Chesham in England on June 20, 1865. Her name was Ellen Margaret Brown or Emma Margaret Brown. I do not know her parents' names. Is this sufficient information to locate her birth certificate?
I have enclosed the standard fee plus postage. If there are any further costs to be defrayed, please contact me at the above address. Thank you very much for your help.
Example Letter #4
Please send me a copy of each of my children's immunization records. Their names are Eric and Susan Doe. Eric was born on October 30, 2017, and Susan was born on January 14, 2018.
Our new address is 1600 Main Street, Springfield, Kansas 12345. Thank you for your assistance.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Ask for the document and inform the reader where to send it.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I have lost my original marriage certificate. My name is John Doe and my wife's maiden name was Jane Smith. We were married June 1, 1957, in Springfield. Will you please send me a copy of our certificate to our home address shown below?
- My name is John Doe, and I graduated in December, 1989. Will you please send an official copy of my academic transcript to my employer? I have enclosed a return envelope for your convenience.
- I request your assistance in obtaining a copy of my divorce decree. My name is Jane Smith and my ex-husband's name is John Doe. We were divorced on June 1, 1985, in Lincoln County. Please send it to the following address:
- In order to make a claim against my father's life insurance policy, my mother needs to send a copy of my father's death certificate to the insurance company.
- I am applying for a passport, but I don't have a copy of my birth certificate. I was born on September 16, 1967, in Springfield, Kansas to John and Jane Doe. Will you please send the certificate to the following address:
- I appreciate the kindness you have shown during the course of my illness. Because of the gravity of my situation, I am sure you can understand my practical desire to seek a second opinion. Will you please send a copy of my medical records to Dr. John Doe at the address below?
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- am applying for
- appreciate your cooperation
- cannot find my original
- could you send it directly to
- could you please provide a
- don't have a copy of
- has been lost
- has been mislaid
- have lost the original of
- help me to obtain a copy of
- kindly send a copy to
- kindly send me a copy of
- need to show a copy of
- need a certified copy of
- need your assistance in
- need four copies of
- need to provide a
- not permitted to photocopy
- please send it to
- send an official copy of
- to the following address
- my identification number is
2 If applicable, indicate that you have enclosed the required documents or fees.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Enclosed is a money order for $16.00 to cover the costs of the document.
- I am enclosing a check for $5.50 to cover the cost of the certificate.
- I have enclosed the forms required for the release of my father's death certificate.
- The check for $10.00 is to cover the processing fees.
- I am sending the $7.45 you requested to release the document.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a check in the amount of
- a money order for
- a check for
- an international postal coupon
- as arranged over the telephone
- for twenty-four hour service
- for airmail charges
- for the required amount
- have enclosed a
- matter is urgent
- notarized copies of
- the required documents
- the cost of express delivery
- the additional amount of
- to cover processing fees
- to cover the costs of
- trust that this will be satisfactory
- understand that there is no charge for
3 Thank the reader.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Thank you for your assistance.
- I appreciate your cooperation.
- If I have not supplied enough information, please let me know. Thank you.
- Thank you for your help.
- I appreciate your help.
- I eagerly await your prompt reply.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- am eagerly awaiting
- appreciate your cooperation
- appreciate your assistance
- can call me at
- if this is not clear
- look forward to
- matter of some urgency
- need further information
- please let me know if
- receiving the documents
- thank you for your help
- thank you for your assistance
- would appreciate
- your prompt reply
- your expediting this