Decline a Job Offer, Promotion, or Transfer • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
A letter turning down a job offer, promotion, or transfer should decline the position graciously while still expressing appreciation for the offer.
How to write this refusal letter:
- Express appreciation for the offer.
- Explain briefly your reason for declining the job offer.
- Close on a positive note.
Example Letter #1
Thank you for offering me the position of senior software engineer at Doe Corporation. After evaluating the offer, considering the team you assembled and the technical and financial opportunity, I turned down other job offers in anticipation of accepting yours. You presented a wonderful opportunity to work with talented people on a project destined to make a great impact on the market. Unfortunately, a sudden change in my family situation makes moving at this time very difficult. Given this reality, I feel I have little choice but to accept a position at Doe International here in Springfield.
My commitment here will be for a minimum of six months, so I hope we can keep in touch and perhaps a future opportunity will arise. I will send you my e-mail address as soon as they give me one. Good companies with spectacular opportunities are hard to find. I know I would enjoy working with you.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for considering me for the position of area manager at Doe Corporation. I am honored that you would choose me to fill the vacancy, but I must decline. My family is demanding an increasing amount of time, and I am reluctant to take a position that requires more traveling. Thank you again for your confidence in my abilities.
Example Letter #3
I am flattered by your offer to work as a safety specialist for Doe Construction. I have always wanted to join your firm, but when I signed on with Springfield Construction, I agreed to a one-year commitment. Six months remain of my contract, so I will stay with Springfield for the present. Thank you again for your generous offer. I hope to meet with you again in the future when my circumstances change.
Example Letter #4
Thank you for offering me a position in the international division at Doe. I have considered it carefully and must decline the offer because the position will require too much travel. I want to enjoy my children while they are young. I enjoyed meeting with you. Thanks again for considering me.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express appreciation for the offer.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you for offering me the position of technical writer at Doe Software.
- I appreciate your recent letter offering me the position of assistant manager.
- Thank you for notifying me that I have been accepted for a position in your new international division.
- I appreciate your offer for a position in your marketing department.
- Thank you for your offer for a transfer to the New York City office.
- Thank you for your phone call to offer me the position of executive assistant.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- enjoyed talking with you about your opening for a
- flattered that you offered me the position as
- have decided to accept another
- have made the offer extremely attractive
- have received your kind letter offering
- honored to be the recipient of your generous offer
- honored that you selected me from among so many other qualified
- indeed a pleasure meeting with you and your staff to discuss
- interested in future employment with
- it is a prestigious position
- like to take this opportunity to thank you for the interview
- appreciated your letter
- thank you for considering me for the position
- thank you for your generous offer to join
- thank you for your offer to transfer me
- thank you for notifying me that I have been accepted for
- thank you for your phone call to offer me the position of
- the position you offered me sounds exciting
- time together was most enjoyable and informative
- want to express my appreciation for
- was gratified to receive your offer
- would like to thank you for such a show of confidence
2 Explain briefly your reason for declining the job offer.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Upon hearing that I was planning to leave my current job, my employer offered me a promotion to the position of head of technical writing. Since this new position will be a management position, it will provide me with opportunities that I have not had as a staff writer. I am therefore choosing to remain with my current employer.
- Although the promotion would increase my hours and therefore my pay, it would not allow me to be a full-time student. Consequently, I must decline your offer.
- I have recently accepted a position with another firm where I will be sent on overseas assignments rather than just working with overseas customers. Since foreign travel is a priority for me and my family, I must decline your kind offer.
- My husband and I have considered your offer thoroughly, but because the position requires extensive travel, we agreed that it would be best for me to decline.
- I certainly enjoy New York City whenever I visit there. However, because my family and I value the small town atmosphere of Springfield, I have chosen to remain here at the main office.
- Since interviewing with you, I have decided to go to graduate school. Because I will be a full-time student, I have accepted a part-time position with another company.
- I was impressed with the opportunity the job would provide, but I must decline the offer because it does not meet my financial expectations.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- accepted an offer that would allow me to stay in the local area
- advancement opportunities that I want to have before me
- although I recognize the connection between the two fields
- although the prospect of joining your company is tempting
- although I have given your offer serious thought
- at this stage of my career I am seeking
- because the position requires extensive travel
- because of this preference, I have chosen to remain in
- choose to remain with my current employer
- choose to explore other opportunities
- cumulative impact of a number of considerations influenced
- greater challenges and advancement than the position is able to
- have decided to withdraw my application for the position
- have just accepted a position with a larger organization
- job I have chosen will provide a greater variety of duties
- leaving now would make me feel as if I were turning my back on
- must decline your offer
- my employer offered to promote me
- not appropriate for me to accept your offer at this time
- offers me a chance to do more than
- scope of the job and the size of the company
- seemed to promise considerable potential for advancement
- since foreign travel is a priority for me and my family
- since I will be leaving, I cannot
- ultimately my decision was based on several factors
- when I did not hear from you after my interview
- while I appreciate your offer for the position of
- would not allow me to attend school as I am now doing
3 Close on a positive note.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Thank you again for your offer. I enjoyed meeting with you and touring your facilities.
- I appreciate your confidence in me, and I look forward to a continuing association with Doe's.
- Thank you for giving me the opportunity to meet with you and the other members of the international team.
- Again, I appreciate your generous offer. Best wishes to you and your firm.
- Thank you for thinking of me. I am sure there are others in the department who will jump at the chance to move to the Big Apple.
- Thank you for your offer. I hope to meet with you again after I have completed my degree.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- again, I appreciate your generous offer
- appreciate your confidence in me
- appreciate the time and effort you spent on my application
- appreciate your considering me for the position
- appreciate your thinking of me for the position
- appreciate your consideration and your time
- best wishes to you and your staff
- by the courtesy and interest everyone showed
- giving me the opportunity to learn more about your facility
- has been a personal privilege to meet you and your colleagues
- have a fine team and I would have enjoyed working with you
- know you have many fine candidates who can fill this
- look forward to our continued association
- most impressed by your organization
- others in the department who will jump at the chance to move to
- plan to stay in touch
- please keep me on your list of interested
- thank you for sharing your company goals with me
- thank you for this opportunity
- thank you again for considering me
- want to thank you for interviewing me
- wish you the very best in finding another manager suitable for
- would like to stay in touch in case