Turn Down a Customer's or Employee's Suggestion • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
A tactful letter acknowledging a customer's or employee's suggestion can be a useful public relations tool, even though you are turning down the reader's suggestion. However, the letter must make it clear that you are rejecting the suggestion.
How to write this refusal letter:
- Thank the reader for the suggestion, or offer a compliment.
- Give a brief explanation of your refusal.
- End on a positive note.
Example Letter #1
Thank you for your suggestion that we enlarge the women's rest rooms. We requested remodeling estimates and were disappointed to learn that a major renovation costing over $90,000 would be needed. The cost is prohibitive and means that the improvements will have to wait two years until we build another wing. In the new wing, we have planned more and better women's facilities. Thanks for caring enough to submit your suggestion.
Example Letter #2
We greatly appreciate the suggestion you submitted on March 30. Your idea certainly has merit. At the present time, however, financial considerations prevent us from implementing new procedures. Nevertheless, we will keep your idea in mind for the time when we are better able to make such improvements.
Example Letter #3
Thank you for suggesting ways to improve our catalogue. Some of your suggestions were very good. Because we only redo the catalogue every two years, we are unable to use your ideas at this time. I will put them on file until our next revision. We welcome the input and ideas of our loyal customers.
Example Letter #4
I have studied your suggestion to change the timing of the traffic lights along Springfield's Main Street. Your study is thorough and offers a new perspective. Your plan would certainly make the trip through town easier for a few drivers, but others would be caught in long lines behind a single light as it turns red. This is why the lights are staggered in the present way. Nobody likes to wait for a red light when no traffic is coming from the other direction.
Although we will not be implementing this particular suggestion, we appreciate your concern and welcome other thoughtful suggestions in the future.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Thank the reader for the suggestion, or offer a compliment.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- The Board appreciates your proposal to streamline our grievance procedure.
- Thank you for your interest in Doe's Breakfast Cereals.
- We appreciate your letter suggesting how we could shorten our lines at the check stand.
- Your proposal for our emergency plan was thorough and thought provoking.
- I read with interest your plan to increase sales.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- always appreciate enlightening comments on our
- appreciate your taking the time to write us about
- appreciate your desire to increase the efficiency of
- appreciate your complimentary remarks about
- appreciate your letter suggesting how we could
- appreciate your interest in the growth of the company
- committee acknowledges your proposed plan for
- for inquiring about our company's possible interest in
- in response to your request for
- pleased to know of your interest in the quality of
- pleased to know that we have such loyal and interested customers
- thank you for your interest in
- thank you for your kind comments about our company in your letter
- thank you for the confidence you have shown in our firm
- thank you for suggesting that we hold this year's meeting at
- thank you for your thorough and thought-provoking proposal
- thank you for your suggestion for improving
- the board appreciates your proposal to streamline our
2 Give a brief explanation of your refusal.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Your suggestion would, indeed, cut the grievance procedure in half. However, after consulting with our legal department, we have concluded that a shorter procedure could leave us open to lawsuits from employees whose concerns might not be adequately addressed.
- Since the sugar content of our Crispy-Crisp cereal is already among the lowest of the leading children's cereals, we do not plan to reduce the sugar further at this time.
- After carefully considering all the proposals we received on our emergency plan, we decided to opt for the plan that did not require remodeling any of the buildings.
- We currently do not have funds to hire additional checkers as you suggested; however, we have decided to train all our baggers as checkers so they can fill in during the peak hours.
- Because of the hiring freeze, we will not be able to hire additional support staff at this time. However, once we introduce our new product line in the spring, I anticipate having funds to hire the support staff you proposed.
- Although trading stamps were once a popular incentive at grocery stores (I remember my mother using them when I was a child), such a system only works if a national chain implements it. Therefore, I am forwarding your suggestion to our national headquarters in Springfield, Kansas, for their consideration.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- after carefully considering all the proposals we received
- after consulting with our legal department
- already among the lowest of the leading
- although your proposal would cut the procedure in half
- appreciate interest in our publication, but we discourage
- are concerned that we will have difficulties in
- as much as we try to keep our customers happy and meet their
- at present, we are unable to make any definite commitments
- because Doe Corporation is a wholly-owned subsidiary of
- concluded that such a procedure might leave us open to lawsuits
- currently do not have funds to hire additional support staff
- do not plan to reduce the contents further at this time
- evaluated your proposal and, after careful consideration, must
- feel that we could not stay within your price expectations
- have found no feasible alternative
- made a decision to go with a plan that did not require
- may not address some employees' concerns
- regret that we must decline your suggestion to
- such a system only works if it can be implemented by
- unable to change our system to accommodate you on this matter
- would be reluctant to offer them as teaching material
3 End on a positive note.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We appreciate your interest in making Doe's the best store in town.
- Although we did not choose your proposal, we appreciate your efforts and look forward to receiving other ideas from you in the future.
- Perhaps you would like to try our Doe's Good Grains cereal which does not contain any added sugar. We appreciate your interest and hope you continue to enjoy Doe's fine food products.
- Thank you for notifying us regarding delays at the checkout stand. We expect you will see an improvement as we implement our new policy.
- I would like to keep a copy of your proposal on file to reconsider when the hiring freeze ends. Jane, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject with me.
- We are grateful to have such a loyal customer and hope to hear from you again soon.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- appreciate your interest in making us the best
- appreciate your efforts
- appreciate your interest in discussing the matter with us
- appreciate your interest in improving our product line
- appreciate your interest and hope you will continue to enjoy
- are grateful to have such a loyal customer
- expect you will see an improvement as we implement
- forwarding your suggestion to our national headquarters in
- hope to hear from you again soon
- look forward to receiving other ideas from you in the future
- perhaps you would like to try our
- thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject with me
- thank you for your suggestion for improving the
- thank you for your suggestion
- thank you for writing us
- thank you for having your representative call on us
- thank you for notifying us regarding
- will make every effort to meet with your approval
- will call you next week to discuss possible alternatives
- would like to keep a copy of your proposal on file to reconsider