Thank Someone For Writing a Reference or Recommendation For You • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
Always thank a person who permitted you to use his or her name or who wrote a letter of reference. Your letter not only shows your appreciation, but also opens the door for you to ask for assistance again in the future, should you need it.
How to write this recommendation letter:
- Share the results of your job search, particularly if the recommendation paid off.
- Express appreciation for his or her assistance. If you are not certain whether or not the recipient actually wrote a letter of recommendation, do not refer directly to a letter.
- If you would like to, offer some kindness in return, but take care not to embarrass the recipient.
Example Letter #1
I would like to express my deep gratitude that you have written a letter of recommendation to support my application for graduate school. As you know, my interest in pursuing advanced studies derives in large part from my experiences under your supervision. I was very fortunate to have learned from you in the past, and I now am honored that you have chosen to support my plans. Your knowledge of my growth and experiences, and your insights into my talents and potentials, not to mention your reputation in the field of (Name of Discipline), will surely increase my chances for acceptance. Again, I am deeply grateful.
Example Letter #2
I am excited to announce my new position! I have every reason to believe your excellent recommendation sealed the deal. Thank you for taking time out of your busy work-week to write the letter.
If there is any way I can return the kindness, please do not hesitate to ask me. In the meantime, I hope you will let me take you to lunch.
Example Letter #3
I wanted you to be among the first to know that I got the position at Doe Corporation. Although I interviewed with a number of firms and several offered me positions, Doe was always my first choice. I start work on the first of next month.
I am sure that your letter helped me to get the job, and I want to thank you for it. Thanks again for your kindness!
Example Letter #4
I am still searching for a job, but I am confident that when the right one comes along, your excellent letter of reference will help me to secure it. If I can ever return the favor, please do not hesitate to ask me.
Example Letter #5
I have landed the job with Doe's! I want to tell you how grateful I am for your assistance in this process. Without your kind words, I doubt I would have made it through Doe's front gate. I hope you will come and join us at a little celebration dinner next week.
Example Letter #6
I want to thank you for taking the time to write a letter of recommendation for me. I really appreciate the thought and effort you put into this letter. Your words made a profound impact on the hiring manager and helped me to stand out from the other applicants.
I have reaped many benefits in this application process, and I truly believe that your letter played a significant role in helping me to achieve all that I have gained. If I can offer any assistance to you in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me. Once again, thank you for writing this letter in my behalf.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Share the results of your job search, particularly if the recommendation paid off.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I have been offered and have accepted the job I applied for with Doe Corporation.
- I have made it to the second round of interviews, from which Doe's will make their final selection.
- I got the job, and you made all the difference! Mr. Doe mentioned that they were most impressed with your recommendation. I am off to Springfield next week to start my new job.
- I am still job-hunting. Unfortunately, when we reached the interview stage, I realized that this wasn't the right position for me.
- It's been a long haul, but I have finally been offered the position I applied for at Doe's.
- I got the job!
- I am pleased to notify you that Doe Corporation has hired me as their new control engineer.
- I have begun work at Doe's, doing exactly what I have always wanted.
- This position could have been tailor-made for me, and it was your kind letter of recommendation that secured me the position.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- although I haven't yet
- I am sure you will be pleased to hear
- I am still job-hunting
- I am eager to get started
- can't imagine how thrilled I was
- can't imagine what you told them about me
- got the job I wanted
- have been offered the
- have accepted the
- heard of their final selection
- hope to drop in to see you before I leave
- hope this trail leads somewhere
- is the job I've been waiting for
- let me bring you up to date
- made all the difference
- opinion was very valuable
- verifying my qualifications
- was a very important addition to
- I was impressed that you would
- we were most impressed with
- I will be starting my new job on
- won't know until next week
- your kind recommendation
- your comments were exactly
- your excellent reference
- your letter of recommendation
2 Express appreciation for his or her assistance. If you are not certain whether or not the recipient actually wrote a letter of recommendation, do not refer directly to a letter.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Thank you for taking the trouble to write a letter on my behalf.
- I truly appreciate your taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me secure employment.
- I want you to know how deeply I appreciate your assistance.
- It was so kind of you to allow me to use your name. Thank you very much.
- Thank you for your help. I appreciate your letting me use you as a reference.
- You have helped me in so many ways over the past few years, and now you have helped me to land such a wonderful job. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
- Thank you so much. I will never forget the kindness you have shown me.
- Thank you for responding to their request for a letter so promptly. Your recommendation helped me very much.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- acting as a reference
- allowing me to use your name
- appreciate your help
- being so helpful to us
- deeply appreciate your
- didn't want to let another day go by
- don't know how to thank you enough
- for your trouble
- for your help
- for responding to the request
- for your assistance
- greatly appreciate your kind words
- have been a motivating force in my life
- helped me very much
- I hope you know how grateful I am
- how much I appreciate your
- letter of recommendation
- letting me use you as a reference
- owe you a debt of gratitude
- responding so promptly
- taking the time to
- taking the time from your busy schedule to
- thank you so much
- thanks for everything
- want to thank you for so many things
- want to thank you for your help
- will not forget your
- without thanking you for
- for your willingness to write a letter of reference
- your part in helping me land this job
3 If you would like to, offer some kindness in return, but take care not to embarrass the recipient.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- If you are ever traveling near Springfield, we would love to have you stay with us.
- I hope that someday I can return the favor.
- I would like to show my appreciation in some small way. May I take you out to lunch before I leave?
- Is there anything I can do for you?
- If there is anything I can ever do for you, please let me know.
- I know you are a fan of Doe University basketball. Would you accept these tickets to next Friday's game as a small token of my appreciation?
- I cannot thank you enough, but I will be thinking of you when I get that first system up and running.
- I hope you know that the credit for my success in this position is largely yours.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- call on me for a favor
- can ever do anything for you
- can return the favor
- can't imagine your ever needing a reference, but
- give any assistance to
- hope that someday
- hope I can reciprocate in some way
- if you ever travel near Springfield
- if you are ever out our way
- if I can help you in any way
- in some small way
- next time you are in Springfield
- please let me know
- please be my guest at
- small token of my appreciation
- want to show my appreciation
- will think of you each time
- would love to hear from you
- would like to show my appreciation