Example Letter #1
I am writing to endorse Mr. Doe's proposal that we cancel our plans to build on property that may be partially wetland.
The Wetlands Coalition has a strong voice in this community. In addition to sparing ourselves bad publicity, we would spend less by building on solid ground. Besides, the Springfield site that the Coalition found for us is perfect! For these reasons the Doe proposal has my vote.
Example Letter #2
I have studied the search committee's report and find that their investigation was very thorough. I feel we should accept their recommendation and hire Jane Doe. It is clear to me that she is the best qualified candidate. She is articulate and has a good reputation as a team worker and producer. The other top candidate also has high qualifications, but some workers have doubts about his ability to work with a team. For these reasons, I recommend that we hire Jane Doe.
Example Letter #3
We are now ready to move from monthly to weekly production of our newspaper. Having considered both the needs of its production staff and the input of our marketing director, I recommend we no longer postpone this ambitious change. Our paper's subscription base is now adequate to support the hiring of additional personnel, and an infusion of three or four new employees will give a boost to a dedicated but already overworked staff of writers and editors.
Growth has always been our goal, and we have now reached the point where concerns about the feasibility of increased production have been put to rest by our increasingly positive public reception, as reflected in sales. John Doe, our marketing director, foresees that demand in the coming year could easily quadruple our current press runs. He also believes a larger pool of writers would make the paper more marketable.
I'm eager to hear from you about this. Please let me know what you and other members of the advisory board think.
Example Letter #4
I am writing today to express my support of the recent decision to amend the policy on (Description of Policy). The willingness to take an honest look at the previous policy's deficiencies and unnecessary complications, to discuss openly with the people most affected by the policy, and then to decide for a revised course of action demonstrates the sincerity of your institution's (department's/administration's) purpose and commitment and further strengthens your legitimacy in the eyes of those you serve. On behalf of myself and many others in the community, thank you very much for this change of policy and for your continued consideration of our needs.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 State clearly, preferably in the first sentence, what your recommendation is about.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Subject: Recommendation that we close our Springfield Branch
- After studying several competing models, I am pleased to recommend the purchase of the Q500 compressor.
- Our committee has voted unanimously to recommend the introduction of a second course of study.
- After careful study of the problems in our Springfield store, I recommend that we close it.
- I recommend that we accept John Doe's suggestion.
- I recommend that we approve this purchase so our delivery personnel will have safer vehicles.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- after careful study
- after a thorough review
- we are pleased to report that
- as we discussed previously
- can expect impressive results
- can best solve the problem by
- I can recommend that
- enthusiastically recommend that we
- have developed a strategy to
- have no hesitation in recommending
- have asked for this change
- have voted unanimously
- is clearly superior to
- justifies our canceling this
- on a restricted basis
- our goal of
- recommend the introduction of
- should follow through with
- take action immediately to
- the problems can be solved by
- the best way to curb the problem is
- this official recommendation will
- this will eliminate
- to meet the challenges of
- will advance us towards
- will meet our needs
- I would heartily recommend
2 State the resulting benefits as concisely as possible. The use of "bullets" to mark a list of benefits may be helpful.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- If we do this, the following benefits can be realized:
- production time will decrease by 10%
- morale will improve
- employees' writing skills will improve
- students will be able to finish their degrees in less time
- our product will have longer shelf-life
- insurance costs will stabilize
- we will be less vulnerable to litigation
- If we restructure the curriculum as the professional staff suggests, we can expect the following benefits:
- more students will be able to enroll
- experienced faculty will teach more lower-division courses
- a new minor emphasis will be available for language students
- the same person will schedule all courses
I believe these benefits outweigh any objections that could be raised.
- This compressor is quieter, more fuel efficient, has a longer maintenance interval, and is manufactured by American union workers.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a greater emphasis on
- anticipate savings of
- be less vulnerable to
- benefits that can be realized
- can expect the following
- can achieve the following
- cut down on waste
- if we implement these
- improved morale throughout
- increased long-term profitability
- increased competitiveness
- keep on the cutting edge of
- maintain our reputation for
- outweigh any objections
- positive effects on
- provide incentives for
- see an improvement in
- significant benefits to
- the proposed restructuring
- will stabilize
- will be able to complete
3 Close by restating the recommendation and suggesting action to follow. Make it easy for your reader to let you know whether your recommendation is approved.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- In short, buying the Q500 compressor makes good business sense.
- I am sold on the Q500 compressor and trust its purchase will be approved.
- Since this new opportunity brings so many benefits to the company, I hope it will be approved.
- For these reasons I recommend that we incorporate the committee's suggestion.
- I recommend that we wait for next month's figures before announcing a decision. In the meantime we should notify the suppliers.
- If this recommendation meets with your approval, please initial at the bottom and return it.
- If the directors approve this recommendation, please let me know.
- I will call on Tuesday to see whether this recommendation has been accepted.
- I recommend we approve this purchase. It meets our financial criteria and advances us toward our goal.
- I therefore cast my vote for acceptance of the revision. It makes good sense.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- accept this revision
- I am pleased to recommend
- announce a decision
- I feel satisfied that
- for these reasons
- happy to answer your questions
- if this meets with your approval
- in the meantime we should
- incorporate the committee's recommendation
- is an excellent opportunity
- makes sense to act immediately
- makes good business sense
- may wish to delay implementation until
- recommend that we approve
- results of a pilot program
- should act as soon as possible
- so beneficial to the
- was a unanimous decision
- will gain final approval
- will present this to the board