Extend an Invitation to a Business Social Event • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
Since this event is a happy occasion, the invitation should reflect that positive feeling. Make it clear to the reader whether attendance is mandatory and who is invited.
How to write this invitation letter:
- Extend the invitation, naming the event and including the date, time, and place. You may mention other participants who will attend. Also, explain the purpose of the event: to honor someone, to celebrate an anniversary, to introduce a product or a service, etc.
- Mention whether refreshments will be served.
- Express anticipation and ask for a response by a specific date.
Example Letter #1
Tap your toes...in the grass.
GET READY FOR DOE'S
FREE SUMMER CONCERT SERIES
The sound of live music. The glow of the sun sinking behind the Springfield Mountains. Kids dancing in the park. What better way to spend a Thursday evening? It's the Summer Sunset Concert Series in Springfield's newly opened town center. Bring a blanket and treat yourself to dinner and dessert from one of several food vendors. Take a stroll and browse the works of local artisans. Tour a model home. And feel absolutely free to shake a tail feather.
Example Letter #2
Mr. and Mrs. Doe are pleased to invite you and your partner to the annual company Christmas party on the evening of December 21 in the Hickory Lodge in Springfield. We hope you will join us for an evening of great food and good fun to celebrate both the season and a banner business year. There will be lots of wassail and eggnog, and a few surprises as well.
If past parties are any indication of what we can expect, you won't want to miss this one. Please R.S.V.P. to Jane Doe by December 19. We hope to see you there.
Example Letter #3
We cordially invite you and a guest to attend a banquet in honor of our new vice president, John Doe, at the Springfield Inn reception hall on May 8, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. Please fill out the enclosed R.S.V.P. card and give it to Jane, the front desk receptionist, by May 3, so that we can make adequate dining arrangements.
Example Letter #4
We are hosting an interdepartmental luncheon for the managers of each department to ring in the new fiscal year. The party will take place at Doe's Hotel restaurant, from 12:00 noon till 2:00 p.m. All managers and their guests are invited. Mr. Doe has agreed to pick up the tab, so bring your appetites!
Example Letter #5
John Doe is presenting an informative and entertaining slideshow on his experiences opening a branch office overseas. The presentation takes place Monday evening, July 29, at 7:30 p.m., and all those considering overseas assignments are invited to attend. This will be a great opportunity to meet all the other managers who are accepting the assignments abroad, discuss our concerns, and have John lay most of the fears to rest. Plan on bringing your spouse or a guest, and enjoying refreshments of wine, cheese, and fruit. Please notify Jane at the reception desk by July 15 if you will be in attendance.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Extend the invitation, naming the event and including the date, time, and place. You may mention other participants who will attend. Also, explain the purpose of the event: to honor someone, to celebrate an anniversary, to introduce a product or a service, etc.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- You are cordially invited to a reception on July 5, 2019, at 8:00 p.m. in the Director's Lounge in honor of John Doe on the occasion of his retirement from Doe Medical Center. Eric Johnson will be collecting for a gift for him. We suggest a $5.00 contribution.
- We are pleased to invite you to a cocktail party and private showing of the new Doe cosmetic line next Tuesday, March 1, at 7:00 p.m. at the Center Court of Jane's Place. Consultants will be on hand to answer your questions.
- We are reserving a seat for you at the official opening of the new science building on Thursday evening, October 5, at 6:30 p.m.
- We are having a surprise party next Tuesday afternoon to honor Eric Johnson on forty years of employment at Doe Corporation. He is still not planning to retire anytime soon! Please bring a gag gift for him.
- Doe Corporation will host an open house at the new plant on Wednesday afternoon, July 14, from 1:00 till 7:00 p.m. We would be honored if you would attend.
- With our recent record-breaking sales, we surely have something to celebrate this quarter. You are all invited to a party in the cafeteria, starting at 4 p.m. on Friday, September 2.
- The Doe Corporation cordially invites you and a partner to attend our customer appreciation dinner on Friday September 2, at 7:00 p.m., in the Springfield Hotel's Blue Room.
- We invite you to meet Professor Johnson, the inventor of the Doe processor, who is visiting from our head office. He will be with us early next week. The reception will take place on Tuesday, June 4, from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m., in the executive lunchroom.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a reception to be held on
- a reception honoring
- an open house at our new
- are cordially invited to
- are reserving a seat for you at
- are delighted to invite you to
- are pleased to invite you to
- honored if you would attend
- hope you will be able to
- if you will be there
- in honor of
- invite you to attend
- invite the whole staff to
- join us for a
- many years of service
- meet me for lunch at
- official opening of
- on the occasion of
- please join us on
- private showing of
- request the pleasure of your company
- to celebrate with us
2 Mention whether refreshments will be served.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Dinner will be served at 7:00 p.m.
- Be sure to let Jane know if you can make it, so that we can order sufficient refreshments.
- A buffet will follow the ceremony.
- Snacks and soft drinks will be provided.
- We will provide an open bar and refreshments.
- Lunch will be provided.
- We will meet in the lounge for cocktails at 6:00 p.m., and then go in to dinner.
- There will be a Scandinavian smorgasbord.
- Refreshments will be served after his speech.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a banquet will follow
- a light luncheon
- complete with a lobster dinner
- enjoy some great food
- followed by a light buffet
- food there is excellent
- join us for lunch
- open bar and refreshments
- provide a no-host bar
- snacks and soft drinks
- take a break for lunch
- the food is excellent at
- will serve light refreshments
- will meet for drinks at
- will be served
- will provide refreshments
- will be provided
- will reserve a table for
- will be available
- your favorite restaurant
3 Express anticipation and ask for a response by a specific date.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We look forward to seeing you again. R.S.V.P. by May 15, 2019.
- We anxiously await your response. Please respond by June 1.
- To help us plan, please let us know by April 1 whether you will be joining us.
- We will appreciate your response by December 20.
- We hope you will join us. R.S.V.P. by calling 555-5555 by May 30.
- We hope you can work this into your busy schedule.
- We believe you will enjoy yourself and we look forward to having you with us.
- Let Jane know by Monday if you plan to attend.
- Please let me know if you can make it.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- anxiously await your response
- give me a call on
- look forward to having you with us
- hope you will join us
- if you are free to join us
- if you are able to join us
- just call us at
- let me know how many will attend
- let us have your answer by
- look forward with pleasure to your acceptance
- look forward to hearing from you
- please note on the enclosed card
- please respond by
- please let us know
- please respond before
- R.S.V.P. by
- R.S.V.P. no later than
- R.S.V.P. - Regrets Only - 555-5555
- send your reply to
- to help us plan
- will appreciate hearing from you by
- work this into your busy schedule
- would appreciate an R.S.V.P. by
- write or phone by