Extend an Invitation to Join an Organization • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
Make your invitation direct and wholehearted, but avoid excessive flattery.
How to write this invitation letter:
- Extend the invitation, indicating how the reader qualifies for membership.
- Explain the purpose of the organization and how the reader's qualifications are consistent with that purpose.
- Explain, if desired, relevant expectations of members: fees, participation, time commitments.
- Express anticipation of the reader's acceptance and your desire for future association.
Example Letter #1
The members of the local Raven Lodge extend a cordial invitation to you to join our fellowship and help us maintain the quality of life we enjoy in Springfield. We are a dedicated group of small business owners who feel that an involved citizenry is our best solution to the social problems that challenge our community. Most recently we replaced books for the elementary school that burned down. We feel that your experience with neighborhood watch programs and your involvement with scouting would make you a valuable member of our lodge.
We meet each Thursday evening to update current programs and to plan future activities. Every quarter we hold a social with spouses. Dues are $10.00 per month. They cover our social activities. Our community service is all volunteer.
Those of us who have been with the Lodge for some time have found these activities to be some of the most rewarding we have ever experienced. We are confident that you, too, will enjoy this affiliation. We hope you will join us in our efforts and enjoy our fellowship.
Example Letter #2
The Doe Society applauds your efforts to improve the quality of our environment. Now we hope you will consider joining us. For five years we have been actively engaged in preserving our environment through community waste management and recycling. Our success lies in recruiting persuasive, intelligent, and devoted citizens, like you, who are willing to devote the time and effort necessary to make a difference.
We hope you will join us this Tuesday at 8:00 p.m. at the Doe Corporation offices in Springfield. We look forward to being partners with you in environmental conservation.
Example Letter #3
In recognition of your wonderful reading of King Lear on Springfield's Summer Shakespeare Stage, I am pleased to invite you to join the Doe Historic Players' Guild. The Guild seeks to educate students and theater patrons about the historic past by accurately recreating scenes from the past in plays and school presentations. Guild members learn the dress, speech, tools and trades of many different eras, and we answer questions students and patrons may have about life in early historic times. There are no dues, but each member must provide his or her own historically accurate costume and accessories. We meet twice monthly, not counting any rehearsals, as you will see on the enclosed meeting schedule. We expect you will find the Guild a wondrous place to broaden your talents as an actor.
Example Letter #4
On the basis of your high annual mileage figures and your excellent example to the motorcycling community, I am pleased to invite you to join the Springfield MileMarkers Motorcycle Club. We are a nonprofit club dedicated to motorcycle safety, organized charity rides, and racking up big miles on these little machines. Last year alone we turned over in excess of $16,000 to charities, with only one major injury resulting from a cycle crash. The MileMarkers meet every first Wednesday at Doe's Pub on Main Street, beginning at 6:00 p.m. I expect you will really enjoy being a MileMarker.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Extend the invitation, indicating how the reader qualifies for membership.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Because of the interest you have shown in maintaining our natural resources, we extend to you a warm invitation to join the Friends of Western Wilderness.
- We congratulate you on your sterling academic performance and extend to you an invitation to join the Doe Honor Society.
- The Reality Society is always interested in associating with young professionals like you who have shown outstanding sales and leadership performance. We therefore extend a cordial invitation to you to join our society.
- Congratulations on breaking the $50,000 sales barrier! You now qualify for membership in the Silver Chalice Club.
- We extend an invitation to you and your high school students to become members of our drug-free coalition.
- As one of our preferred customers, you are invited to become a member of our Christmas club.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a warm invitation to you to
- a cordial invitation to you to
- after our conversation of
- am writing on behalf of
- appreciate the importance of
- are interested in joining us
- are invited to
- as a new resident of
- become a member of
- congratulate you on
- extend to you our
- have shown outstanding
- have been nominated for
- in associating with
- invite you to
- is always interested in
- nominated you to
- offers many service opportunities
- qualify for membership in
- the interest you have shown
- to the first meeting of
- to invite you to
- to become part of
- to join the
- was delighted to learn
- your efforts on behalf of
- your selfless work with
2 Explain the purpose of the organization and how the reader's qualifications are consistent with that purpose.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- The coalition was formed at the last PTA meeting to help students avoid illegal drugs and to stop drug trafficking at our school.
- As a member of the club, you will save an extra 5% on all purchases this year.
- We meet monthly to share ideas and receive instruction from national leaders in the field.
- The Society provides recognition for superior performance and assists scholars in obtaining research and travel funds.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a common interest in
- are organizing a
- areas of common interest
- as a member you will
- enjoy social get-togethers
- focus our efforts on
- has a tradition of
- have joined forces to
- improve the quality of life in
- in order to help
- involved in charitable work
- make a difference in
- meet monthly to share
- organization is dedicated to
- prestigious organization is involved in
- primary focus is on
- provides recognition for
- raises money for
- receive instruction from
- share a commitment to
- the preservation of
- throughout the area
- very successful in the past
- was established in
3 Explain, if desired, relevant expectations of members: fees, participation, time commitments.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- There are no membership fees.
- Participation does not entail any costs.
- Members contribute $5.00 per month to cover postal expenses.
- With the annual membership dues of $50.00 comes a year's subscription to our newsletter.
- We hold meetings monthly to coordinate activities with the local authorities.
- To accommodate members' busy schedules, we hold our meetings during the lunch hour.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- annual membership dues of
- are aware that time can be our scarcest commodity
- are funded by the membership dues of
- ask for a donation of
- ask members to contribute
- chief commitment is time
- costs are minimal
- each serve on a committee
- expect members to attend at least
- hold meetings monthly
- in addition to committee meetings every
- includes a subscription to
- keep our meetings brief
- know that our members are busy
- meets weekly to review
- membership dues are very reasonable, only
- no membership fees
- request that our members
- socialize after meetings
- take turns hosting the
- to cover expenses
4 Express anticipation of the reader's acceptance and your desire for future association.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- We hope you will be able to join us in this worthy cause.
- We look forward to your reply.
- We hope to have a long association with you.
- We hope you will join us. Together we can make a difference.
- We look forward to sharing your future successes, too.
- You have much to contribute to the cause. We hope you will be part of the Society.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- are willing to participate
- at our next meeting
- at your earliest convenience
- convey your acceptance to
- eager to welcome you into
- give serious thought to
- have much to contribute to
- hope to hear from you
- hope that you
- hope for a long association with
- if you have any questions
- if you could join us
- look forward to your acceptance
- make formal application
- meeting you personally
- please let me know if
- please come share your ideas
- why not attend our next meeting
- will be part of the
- will attend our first meeting
- will join us
- will be able to
- would be pleased to
- would be part of the group
- would be great if