Example Letter #1
Every day, we read about the difficulties and dangers confronting our troops in their service abroad. And for good reason--our troops are doing nothing less than devoting their most prized possessions, their lives, to the service of our country. These soldiers are dealing with much more than the physical dangers of a conflict situation, however. Most of our troops must also deal with the heavy emotional burden of living far from family and loved ones.
To lighten this emotional burden, and to pay respect to the men and women serving in our name, (Name of Organization) has begun a campaign to raise funds for the purchase of long-distance calling cards to be distributed to our troops abroad. We intend to raise enough money to purchase several hours of phone time for each soldier separated from his or her family and friends. But we need your help to accomplish this goal.
We have enclosed a form detailing the different levels at which you could contribute to this cause. Please consider expressing your support of our troops in the form of a donation at the highest level possible. Your compassion and commitment will have a real impact on the emotional quality of life of the men and women serving our country.
Thank you sincerely for your time and support.
Example Letter #2
For 15 years, Homes for Veterans has been helping our soldiers become homeowners. These men and women have been willing to lay down their lives for our safety and security, often at great financial cost to themselves too. They have already sacrificed a great deal for the American Dream, and we want to make sure that each will also be rewarded with the American Dream of owning your own home.
This is not a handout. We simply make it possible for financially disadvantaged veterans to buy homes. Homes for Veterans provides low interest loans and sweat-equity programs, where volunteers work alongside the veterans to give these fine citizens the boost they need to achieve their dreams.
To continue with this great work, we need your help. How much could you give to help someone who has already put their life on the line for you? Please give as much as you can afford. We are hoping you can donate $25, $50, or $100.
Your donation, small or large, will help make a difference. Please act today. A postage paid envelope is enclosed for your convenience.
Example Letter #3
When we began sending out these free desk sets, people called us crazy!
We mailed these beautiful desk sets absolutely FREE to good, caring people like you.
"You can't do it--the Doe Veterans Fund will go broke!" many doubters told us. "People will love the desk sets, but you'll never hear from them again."
But it hasn't turned out that way. On the contrary, thousands of people like you have chosen to help our nation's veterans--many terribly disabled. Every one of these brave veterans responded when called by their country. Many suffer terribly as a result of serving their country. I think you'll agree, we owe them something.
The Doe Veterans Fund is one of the nation's leading veterans' organizations.
Mr. (name), we're not asking for a handout--just a helping hand.
We have sent you this desk set under no obligation whatsoever. Your desk set is a gift from our nation's veterans, and we hope it will warm your heart.
But if you can manage to send a small donation, you would be helping to ensure our continued support for disabled veterans.
Your donation is tax-deductible and will help us fight for disabled veterans. The Doe Veterans Fund works to ensure they get training for meaningful jobs to support their families and live with dignity.
And we do it all without one cent of government funding. The Doe Veterans Fund relies on people like you--patriotic, caring Americans--because the need is greater than ever.
My friend, I'm asking you today to help us fight for our nation's veterans. Please do your part so that not one of our courageous veterans faces despair. Whatever you can afford to send will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for giving hope to America's veterans.
P. S. We're proud of our work on behalf of America's veterans. I hope you can manage to send a contribution to help deserving veterans today. The Doe Veterans Fund truly makes a difference in the lives of our disabled veterans. But we need your help to continue. Thank you.
Example Letter #4
My name is John. I'm an Army Vet from over 40 years back, and during that time I've spent more time IN the hospital than OUT!!! I have a severe case of chronic pulmonary disease and I'm on oxygen most of the time.
Sometimes it's so hard to breathe; I panic and wonder "is this the day I check out?" The doctors try to help by prescribing strong medicines to keep me calm; but it's like living my life as a Zombie and I can't stand that either.
Then...I discovered the wonderful calming effect of Doe Crafts. Just like magic, I can pick up a string of beads kit and begin creating a beautiful necklace, and I quit shaking and my breathing gets slower and easier.
It's truly a miracle...
I don't know how to begin to thank you all for these wonderful Doe Crafts. I wish I could reach out and hug each one of you personally. Many nights, I've woken up gasping for air and panicking--but, I just reach for the beads kit and soon I'm fine.
I've often wondered if the donors of these craft kits have any idea how valuable these kits are. I hope my letter gives you a little insight, because there just aren't enough words to explain how much the kits mean to me.
"Thank you" seems so inadequate, but I don't know what else to say--so THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for your wonderful generosity and kindness!!!
I know other vets can also benefit from your generosity. Any amount will help. Please, won't you send a donation for more craft kits in the enclosed envelope?
Example Letter #5
"YOUR 2 CENTS WORTH" CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE.
Are the sacrifices our disabled veterans made worth two pennies a day to you?
That's all I'm asking of you--set aside 2 cents a day for one year. That's only $7.30.
It's a painless way to repay our disabled veterans for the pain they've suffered for us. Some still never know a day without it. Disabled veterans gave up a normal life for one with difficult handicaps ... from missing arms or legs to blindness or paralysis.
In wartime, they said "Yes!" when their country asked them to fight. And they ended up paying a terrible price for their patriotism--and our freedom.
We count on Americans who say, "Yes!" today ... those who won't let our fallen warriors be forgotten ... people who want them to at least have a decent life and some measure of dignity. Are you one of those caring Americans?
For over 75-years, Doe Veteran Fund has been "fighting their battles" for our disabled veterans. Because they can't do it any more.
(List where contributions go.)
And we can do all that because good people like you are willing to chip in their 2 cents worth now and then.
So I'm asking you to please put aside two pennies a day for a year--only $7.30. Will you send a check for $7.30 now?
Your gift keeps Doe Veteran Fund going, fighting the battles of those deserving veterans who can't fight for themselves any more.
So, please make the small sacrifice of "your 2 cents worth" ($7.30).
Example Letter #6
DOE DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS FUND
If it weren't for you, friend of the DOE FUND,
... keeping track of the days on a calendar like this would be a lot emptier for some of our disabled veterans.
Because you donate to DOE, you make some mighty good things happen for them.
... You make it possible for them to receive all the benefits they earned--the hard way. (The "red tape" can be tough to cope with, but DOE shows them the way)
... Your generosity means helps us battle legislation aimed at cutting those benefits. If not DOE, who else would do it?
... Your gifts provide rides to VA hospitals nationwide via our Transportation Network. You bring sick and disabled vets to the care they need ... vets who otherwise would have no way to get it.
... You reach out to disabled veterans hit by natural disasters... sending a helping hand to lives touched by floods, tornadoes, hurricanes.
You're there for them when they need you.
I've enclosed a special edition of our calendar. Please accept this gift as a small way of our saying, "Thanks for being there."
Our annual Calendar Campaign is one way we can keep our fund healthy, so we can reach out to all our fellow disabled veterans. In your state of (name), alone, there are (number) disabled vets.
I'd hate to see funds for their help cut back. So I'm coming to you once again to ask you to "show your colors." Will you give the very best gift you can?
We're facing a deadline this year. If you could send a check by September 30, it would mean a lot to us.
I hope this calendar will note many special events and happy occasions for you and yours... just as you've provided so many good memories for our disabled veterans. Use it with pride. It marks you as somebody special.
With thanks from every disabled vet.
Example Letter #7
Volunteers Serving Veterans is a nonprofit organization that raises money for disabled veterans in our community. In addition to providing temporary food, shelter, and other necessary personal care items for veterans in need, we also raise money to provide more long-term housing. Accordingly, we raise thousands of dollars each year to purchase or renovate homes for severely disabled veterans in the surrounding areas.
The money we raise comes from a wide variety of sources. One of our main fundraising events is a 5K walk/run that we hold every year during Memorial Weekend. This year, we hope to raise $250,000--enough money to build or adapt five modest homes. The registration fee for participating in the event is $250. If 1,000 people sign up for the event, we will reach our goal!
Please spread the word to your neighbors, family members, and friends about this very worthwhile cause. The walk/run will be on Saturday, May 24, and will begin promptly at 8 a.m. (See the enclosed form for more details.) In order to participate, please fill out the enclosed registration form and send it with your check for $250 to the address above by May 12. If you have any questions or need more registration forms to share (though you may make copies the enclosed form, if you wish), you can call 555-5555, or e-mail me at JohnDoe@email.com.
By participating in this fun and rewarding event, you will be helping someone who has paid a large price to help protect our freedom to have a better life. Please make that commitment by sending in your donation (registration fee) today!
P.S. If you are not able to participate in the 5K walk/run but are still interested in contributing to this effort, simply send a check to the address above for the amount you are able to.
Example Letter #8
As the holiday season approaches, I'm sure there is much on your minds. These days, I have a lot on my mind, as well. For more than 8 months, the soldiers from the 996th Combat Battalion have been far away from their families, fighting in the War on Terror.
My brother is one of those soldiers serving so faithfully overseas, so I know firsthand the challenges they face--missing their spouses and children or other loved ones, dealing with the everyday stresses of military life in a war zone, and trying to shoulder some of the burdens of home from more than 8,000 miles away. You may not be aware of this, but many of these "weekend" soldiers make far less serving overseas than they did in their civilian jobs. This is a price they are willing to pay to help protect the freedoms we enjoy.
However, this does not change the reality that many of their families live on tight budgets, and the holiday season can wreak havoc on anyone's finances, let alone those who are living on considerably less than they are used to. That's why I am holding this special fund drive--to raise money to purchase holiday presents for the 177 children whose mom or dad is serving in the Alpha company.
Will you help us to meet our goal--$8,850--by sending a check for just $25 in the enclosed envelope? Your donation, sent by November 15, will help put a smile on the face of a child and bring some comfort to our soldiers during this season when it is especially difficult to be away from loved ones.
Though the holidays are still a few weeks away, I hope you are feeling the holiday spirit, and that you will make a contribution to this cause. I know that you will be glad that you did.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Tell about your organization or the cause you are advocating.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- This year, we want to raise money to provide Thanksgiving dinner to the families of our troops who are overseas.
- You may not know it, but many of our reserve troops take a substantial cut in pay when they are activated for full-time duty. That's why we are raising money to give to the families of our deployed troops to help with their Christmas budgets.
- Our organization provides inexpensive housing to veterans and enlisted soldiers who have been seriously wounded in the line of battle.
- We have established a special fund for the families of soldiers who have served or are serving in the conflict in the Middle East.
- We provide free counseling and other services for men and women in the Armed Forces and their families.
- For the past 35 years, we have been raising money to build homes for disabled veterans throughout the state.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- raising money to build homes for disabled veterans
- Volunteers Serving Veterans is a nonprofit organization
- Kids Serving Soldiers was established in 2018
- give aid to troops returning home from service abroad
- specifically geared to help veterans who have served
- for those that have served in the Middle East
- we have been helping troops for more than 30 years
- raising money to help displaced
- for the families of those who have given their lives
- helping the families of our brave men and women overseas
- providing Christmas for families of troops
- have been helping men and women in the Armed Forces
- provide inexpensive housing for those returning from
- serving men and women who
2 Describe the benefits that will come to the reader, to the soldiers, and to the community as a whole because of the money you are raising.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- With the money raised, we will be able to build 25 new homes.
- Your donation will help the soldiers of our adopted unit feel secure in the knowledge that their families will be taken care of this holiday season while they are away.
- By donating to this cause, you'll be making a tangible difference in the lives of the veterans in our community.
- Best of all, you'll know that you gave something back to our soldiers who have fought and risked their lives to give so much to us.
- And, of course, your contribution is 100 percent tax-deductible.
- Our program provides funding to help soldiers who have been permanently wounded in action to find meaningful and lasting employment.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- feeling of satisfaction that you will get
- knowing that you helped to
- providing much-needed
- making a difference to thousands of troops
- helping hundreds of families to
- joy that comes from
- community can come together to help
- working together for a common cause
- make it possible for veterans to
- really making a difference in the lives of
- showing our support to the men and women
- demonstrating our appreciation for the sacrifices
- bringing citizens together
- coming to the aid of
- contributing to
- hope to unite the community
- helping thousands of men and women
- providing the means for
3 Specifically ask for the monetary donation, for help in the fundraising event, for donations of goods or services to be contributed to the event or directly to the soldiers or veterans, etc.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We are hoping to raise $10,000 by the end of next week, and we need your help. Would you be willing to make a donation of $20 to help us in this cause?
- In order to raise this money, we are organizing a fundraising campaign. If you are interested in helping in this effort, please contact Jane at 555-5555.
- We will be holding a fundraising auction, and we are looking for items that can be donated. (See list of suggested items below.)
- So next Saturday we will be holding a bike-a-thon in order to raise the money needed to reach our goal.
- Mr. and Mrs. Doe, would you be willing to send a monthly donation of $30 to help us fund this project?
- To help us reach this goal, we are asking that donors contribute $500 to this special fund.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- hope that you will help
- asking that you make a donation
- hoping to raise $5,000
- help us reach our goal of $20,000
- count on you for a generous donation
- please make a donation of $100
- if you can donate $50
- your much-needed donation of $25
- would be willing to donate
- show your support of our troops by donating
- demonstrate your appreciation for the sacrifices made by
- a monthly or yearly donation
- count on you to help us in our fundraising event
- asking community members to take an active part
- forming a committee to head the fundraiser
- asking each household to donate
- asking for a bag of nonperishable food
- please send donations to
- make your check out to
- need help to put together the fundraising auction
- looking for volunteers to
- could provide refreshments or prizes for the
- asking for donations to be used as prizes for the fundraising event
4 Include the details about the fundraising event or specify the date by which the direct monetary donation should be sent or received.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- If you can help us out, please bring your donated item to the community center by next Friday, September 25.
- We are asking that those who plan to participate RSVP no later than Thursday, April 12.
- The auction will take place next Saturday, beginning at 8 a.m., in the old school.
- If you would like to send a check, please make it payable to: "Sheltering Our Soldiers."
- For those who are able to participate, the walkathon will begin promptly at 7 a.m. on Saturday, May 26.
- You may make a donation by sending a check in the enclosed envelope, or with any major credit or debit card.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- will be holding a special benefits concert
- please send all donations by
- must receive donations by next Saturday, June 6
- fundraising auction will begin promptly at 11 a.m.
- please RSVP by
- please mail your check by
- checks should be made out to
- will be held at the community center
- can bring all donations to the armory
- mail your check by next Friday in order to
- on Friday, October 3 at 7 p.m.
- auction will go from 3 p.m. until 5 p.m.
- will be holding a bake sale every Friday afternoon in May
- will take place in the high school gym
- washing cars every Saturday
- walkathon will be this coming Saturday beginning at 8 a.m.
5 Remind readers of the good they will accomplish by contributing to or participating in your fundraiser.
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- Let's take this opportunity to give a little back to these men and women who have given so much to preserve our freedoms.
- Remember, all donations will go directly to the families of the soldiers from our area.
- Help to bring a smile to the faces of the children of our soldiers by making your donation today.
- With your generous donation, we can provide housing for the needy veterans in our community.
- Not only will the money you contribute provide food and other necessary items to the families of our soldiers, but it will boost the morale of our troops when they feel the love and support we have for them.
- Show your patriotism and goodwill toward your fellow men by giving a generous donation to help those unsung heroes currently fighting in our Armed Forces.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- remember, all proceeds will go directly to
- may be the only chance these troops have of
- bring smiles to the faces of
- support the families of
- provide much-needed aid to
- money will be used to
- make a difference to so many
- providing housing for
- help the families of troops that are overseas
- show our support to
- for the men and women who make it possible
- bless the lives of those
- provide food and other necessary items
- boost the morale of
- demonstrate our appreciation for