Church or Religious Organization • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
These letters are often directed to the members of a particular church or religious affiliation. Fundraising letters may ask for donations to help support missionary efforts, to build new churches, to fund schools, to support youth programs, and so forth.
How to write this fundraising letter:
- If necessary, tell about the church or religious organization that you represent (if readers might not be familiar with it).
- Describe the good that has been done by the church or organization within the community.
- Tell what the money that you are requesting will be used for.
- Indicate the benefits that will come to the reader, and to the community as a whole, because of the money donated.
- Ask for a donation, and tell readers how they can contribute the funds (mail, over the phone, by delivering the money directly to the church or meeting place, etc.)
- Express your hope that readers will be willing/able to contribute to such a worthwhile effort.
Example Letter #1
As a member of (Name of Church), you've experienced firsthand the family feeling of our community. Even through the significant growth of the past years, the congregation has retained warmth, fellowship, and sincere connection among its members. And our members don't only worship together; they also engage themselves in daily activities and causes to benefit the community of (Name of Town) as a whole.
One particularly established and valued community project begun by members years ago is the (Name of Church) soup kitchen. Each week, members donate their time and resources to gather and then serve the poor and hungry residents of our community, and each week the visitors of the soup kitchen are nourished by the food served and by the compassion of those serving.
This valued and unique community service requires support from members, of course, and it is with this concern in mind that we are writing to you today. Each week, the soup kitchen requires members to fetch supplies, cook the food, prepare the service area, and then serve the visitors of the kitchen. We would warmly welcome your involvement in any of these activities. However, we also would like to emphasize our need for funds. Although donated materials cover most of the soup kitchen's needs, each week the kitchen must purchase some food and drink to complete the offerings of the week. To help us cover these costs and continue providing the best service to our visitors, we hope you will consider using the enclosed form and envelope to donate $20 or $30 to this worthy cause.
Thank you for your understanding and support.
Example Letter #2
As members of the Christian Church, we are called to go "into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15).
In the past 50 years our missionaries have taken the gospel to every continent, and many people have been saved. Now, in the wake of natural disasters that have shaken the world, we have the opportunity to help and gather souls in places we had only dreamed of in the past.
Now is the time for us to step up our missionary program, but we need the support of every member. Can you help? We need bibles and buildings in Thailand where our church buildings were destroyed in the tsunami, and soup and stipends for the hungry everywhere, and support for our full-time missionaries in many countries.
Would you be able to pledge $35 every month to this great effort? If not, we would appreciate just as much as you could afford. Your donation will bless the lives of many and will surely return to you tenfold in joy and blessings.
A pledge form is enclosed with several payment options. Please choose whatever is most convenient for you.
Example Letter #3
Our local congregation of the Church of God, a nondenominational Christian church, was formed almost 30 years ago. Since that time, we have been spreading the message of the Good News with believer and nonbeliever alike, sharing the love of God for all of his children, and serving the less fortunate in our community through our many humanitarian relief efforts. All our brothers and sisters, no matter their station in life, are more than welcome to come and worship with us.
For nearly all of the 30 years we have had a congregation here in this community, we have met in our chapel at the corner of Box Elder and Cyprus. You have undoubtedly driven by our building countless times. We have put that building to good use, and in many ways it has been our home away from home. During the past 30 years, it has served us well. And we would like it to continue to do so for years to come.
In order to continue meeting in our chapel, however, the time has come for some much-needed renovation must be done. The roof needs to be redone, and the carpets and many of the pews must be replaced. Though this may seem like a sizeable task, we are confident that, with the support of people from the community, it can be easily accomplished.
That's why we are holding a special fundraiser on Saturday, June 6, in order to raise the $5,000 needed to help pay for the cost of the repairs. We will be holding a bazaar from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. that day, and all proceeds will go to this special objective. We are inviting everyone from the community to come and participate in the bazaar and help us raise money for this very worthwhile cause. Also, any who would like to make, bake, or buy items to be sold at the bazaar are more than welcome to do so. So mark your calendars, and come and join us for this special event.
By helping us to raise the money needed to renovate our building, you will ensure that we can continue to serve the members of this community for many years. I sincerely hope to see you at the bazaar!
P.S. If you are unable to attend the bazaar, but would still like to contribute to this cause, please do so. You can send a donation of any amount to the address above. Thank you!
Example Letter #4
I am writing on behalf of a group of young adults in our congregation. As you know, for several years now our church has sent small groups of individuals, particularly college students, on three-month missions overseas during the summer to spread the Lord's gospel to those who have not yet been fortunate enough to hear it.
Well, the time has come to prepare for our missionary efforts for this upcoming summer. In just over five months, nine of our young people will be traveling to Springfield to take the teachings of our Lord to the people there. But in order to do that, they must raise $3,000 in the next three months, which will cover all their transportation, housing, food, and other expenses. Will you help to send one willing soul by making a contribution of $300 to our missionary fund? You can mail your tax-deductible donation in the enclosed envelope, or you can bring the donation to the church and leave it with Sister Doe, who is acting as treasurer of the fund.
I am sure you are aware of the many blessings in your life because of your knowledge of the gospel of Christ. Will you help to share those blessings with your brothers and sisters in Springfield by making a generous donation today?
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 If necessary, tell about the church or religious organization that you represent (if readers might not be familiar with it).
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- The Fundamental Church of God was founded more than fifty years ago by the Rev. John Hancock.
- I am one of more than 300,000 members worldwide. Since 1978 when it was started, the church has spread to more than 15 nations.
- The First Reformed Church of Christ is a Bible-believing church, and we believe that all people can be saved through faith and good works.
- Congregation of God is a nondenominational organization that was founded back in 1937.
- We have a number of congregations throughout the United States and Canada, with a membership of nearly 50,000.
- At the Church of Hope, we cater to men and women in all situations--economically, socially, and spiritually.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- one of thousands of members of the
- our church was established more than 100 years ago
- we are a multi-denominational group
- Christians Serving Soldiers is a
- founded by the Reverend
- since 1965 we have been to
- for more than three decades
- appeal to individuals of all walks of life
- more than 3 million members
- have congregations throughout much of the Americas
- a Bible-believing church that
- many followers throughout the United States
- a nondenominational organization
- working together with members of various faiths
- made up of believers of various faiths
- the New Church of Christ is a
2 Describe the good that has been done by the church or organization within the community.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- One of our primary objectives is to send missionaries to the non-Christian areas of the world to share with them the gospel.
- We believe we must do more in this life than simply believe in Christ, and so we have chosen to make as the primary focus of our church the care of those who are less fortunate, sick, or otherwise afflicted.
- Since our church was founded more than 100 years ago right here in Yourtown, we have worked tirelessly to serve the citizens of this community by ministering to all, both physically and spiritually.
- As part of this mission, we have spent countless hours and resources providing humanitarian aid to our brothers and sisters in other countries.
- In addition to spreading the gospel abroad, we minister to individuals in our own community by providing food, clothing, and shelter to those in need.
- Of late, we have been working with community leaders to make sure that the conservative values we stand for are represented in the House and the Senate.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- bringing the gospel message to
- send missionaries to third-world countries
- serving the community by
- provided countless hours of humanitarian aid
- helping to unify communities
- worked untiringly to provide
- spreading the teachings of
- raised money to help
- made it possible for
- sent missionaries to preach in
- a powerful voice
- given our time to
- spread the love of the Savior to
- brought hope to
- supported the efforts of
- donated food and clothing
- tirelessly serving the less fortunate who
- bringing hope to families
- strengthening families and communities
- working together with other groups
- making a difference in the community by
- providing food and shelter for
- working with community leaders to
3 Tell what the money that you are requesting will be used for.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- At present, our most pressing need is to renovate our chapel.
- All the money we raise goes directly to our Humanitarian Aid Fund to be distributed to those in need both here in this country and abroad.
- In the coming years, we would like to expand our missionary program so that we may enter many new areas of the world.
- As you know, many of our brothers and sisters in neighboring communities are currently without the basic essentials we often take for granted. The money raised in this special fund drive will go to purchasing food, clothing, and necessary items of hygiene for these distressed individuals.
- In order to spread the gospel, our missionaries would like to purchase 100,000 copies of the Bible to take with them on their next mission.
- We are blessed with an abnormally large number of young people in our congregation, and so we would like to be able to nurture them by further developing our current youth program.
- It is necessary that we study and learn the Scriptures from our pastor as well as from each other, and so a number of us have talked about establishing a Sunday school to meet this need.
- For some time there has been a need to purchase additional scriptures, hymnals, and other supplies for the members of the congregation.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- expand our missionary program
- able to send more volunteers
- build a new church
- renovate the synagogue
- purchase scriptures to be sent to
- build additional churches in the countries of
- send missionaries to countries in
- purchase supplies for our schools
- send relief to people in
- help fund the programs in our seminaries
- replace the pews
- provide relief to
- take the gospel to
- used to feed and clothe
- build a youth center
- provide funding for
- send emergency provisions to
- sent to those affected by
- purchase hymnals and other supplies
- open a Sunday school
- used to develop our youth program
- increase the number of
- allow us to increase the amount of
- expand our humanitarian aid program
- send a group of pastors to
4 Indicate the benefits that will come to the reader, and to the community as a whole, because of the money donated.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- With the additional funding, we will be able to spread the gospel to five more countries within the next ten years.
- The biggest benefit, of course, is the feeling you'll get knowing that you helped your brothers and sisters in need.
- In the youth program, young men and women will learn valuable skills, as well as have a fun, safe alternative to the many dangerous activities of the world.
- Your contributions will make it possible for us to provide temporary food and shelter for those ravaged by the recent hurricanes and flooding.
- In my own life, I know I have never felt greater joy than I did during the years that I spent as a missionary in the God's work.
- By contributing to this cause, you will be playing an important role in history, as we expand our church to nations where it has hitherto never been.
- We are counting on the support of our members to make the necessary renovations possible.
- In times like this, it is important that we all work together for the good of everyone in need. Doing so truly brings us together as a community, no matter what religious affiliations we have.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- able to spread the gospel to
- provide much-needed relief for
- provide a safe environment for
- know you have helped to
- know that you made a difference in the lives of
- feel the joy that comes from serving
- feel true happiness because of your
- your donations will make it possible
- with your help, we will be able to
- counting on the support of our members to
- be an important part of
- able to further the work of
- give your support to
- your contributions will
- with your donations, we can
- feeling you'll get knowing that
- play an important role
- show your support for
- work together to
- bring the community together
- enable us to
- allow us to unite as
- brought about by the kind acts of
5 Ask for a donation, and tell readers how they can contribute the funds (mail, over the phone, by delivering the money directly to the church or meeting place, etc.)
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- Can we count on you, Sarah, to make a donation of $50 to help us meet this need?
- Stratton Family, would you be willing to help us in this cause by donating $100 today?
- In order to meet this need, we must raise $100,000 before the end of next month. Will you make a donation of $500 by next Friday, July 20, and bring us closer to that goal?
- That's why we are asking all members of our congregation, and anyone else who would like to, to make a donation today of $25 or more by sending a check in the enclosed SASE.
- If you are able to make a donation, please call the administration office at 555-5555, or you can mail a check to the address above.
- To keep up with the ongoing demand, we are asking members to make a monthly donation of $25. Or if you prefer, you can make an annual contribution instead of $275.
- You can bring your $75 donation to the church any time before next Friday, or you can mail it in the self-addressed envelope enclosed.
- Because of this great need, we are asking members to donate $50, $30, or even $20 as soon as possible to help us reach our goal of $20,000 by March 3.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- hope that you can contribute
- asking followers to donate
- asking for a special donation of
- please send $25 to
- could donate $50, $30, or even $20
- asking for immediate donations of
- your check for $30 will
- your monthly donation of $50 will
- please help by donating
- accept all major credit cards
- send you a monthly reminder
- can call us at 555-5555
- an annual donation of $350
- please bring all donations to the
- can drop off your donation
- will be visiting the homes of
- would be happy to stop by and
- holding a special meeting on
- donations can be delivered to
- hoping to raise $5,000, so please mail your
- want to raise $10,000 by June 1
6 Express your hope that readers will be willing/able to contribute to such a worthwhile effort.
Sample Sentences for Step 6
- We are truly thankful for the support you give this congregation, and we hope you will be able to help us in this time of great need by making a donation today.
- Please give a generous donation so that we can continue to spread the gospel to those who have not yet had the opportunity to receive it.
- We know that our programs couldn't succeed without the contributions of our members. Make a donation today so that they can continue to be successful.
- I hope you will make a donation today to help us reach our goal of raising $10,000 by next Friday. Help us to spread love and hope to our brothers and sisters who are facing so great a need at this time.
- Jeffrey, will you pledge to help us in this cause by making your $200 donation today?
- When we give of ourselves, we never know how much we are truly blessing the lives of others. Open your heart, and may God bless you as you strive to follow him.
- Please send a much-needed donation today. I know you will be blessed for your generosity.
- Mr. and Mrs. Doe, I hope you can help us by sending in a check today. We really are counting on you!
Sample Phrases for Step 6
- hope that you can
- please open your heart and send a donation today
- counting on each one of you to
- hope that you'll be able to donate
- need the help of every member
- can't do it without the support of
- know we couldn't succeed without
- asking each one of our members to
- our deepest hope that
- pledge today to
- please take a moment to
- show your support of
- help us meet our goal
- know you will be blessed
- will really benefit those
- asking for a generous donation
- our desire that
- please make a donation today
- hope you will feel compelled
- hope you can contribute
- appreciate all the support
- make a difference for so many