Fight a Disease or Research a Medical Condition • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
If possible, drive home the need that you are raising money for by including information about specific people or by letting readers know of the great need that exists. Do not leave readers feeling helpless, however--describe specific actions you are taking or can take to find and implement cures or relief to those who suffer from the illness or diseases you are fighting.
How to write this fundraising letter:
- Begin your letter with a compelling story or statistic that illustrates the need for the funds you are raising to fight the disease or do the research.
- Tell about your group or organization, and indicate the good that you have accomplished in the past or that you plan to do in the future.
- Illustrate the current (and ongoing) need that can be met by raising the money you are seeking.
- Describe the fundraising event, or tell how the reader can make a direct monetary donation.
- Indicate the amount of money you are trying to raise, and invite the reader to contribute to your cause or to participate in the fundraising event.
- Close by reminding readers of the good they can accomplish by supporting the important work you are doing. Refer back to the person or statistics you mentioned in your opening as a way to tie your letter together.
Example Letter #1
Almost every adult member of our society has known at least one person who has suffered or died as a result of cancer. Fortunately, many individuals have also known people to have recovered from the disease with the help of cutting-edge medical diagnosis and treatment. It is the goal of (Name of Organization) to support the continuation of such innovative practices by keeping the fight against cancer in the spotlight of public discussion and by raising funds to contribute to the institutions and facilities at the forefront of the field.
This year, (Name of Organization) is organizing a fundraising march through the heart of our city. We are looking for individuals to join our efforts in the fight against this disease. We hope you might be one of those individuals. To participate, you will need to find at least three sponsors, each contributing $20 to support your participation in the march. Of course, the more sponsors you can find, the more attention and financial support the cause will receive.
If you are interested in joining us in this effort, please gather commitments from your sponsors and mail the enclosed registration form before (Date). After receiving your registration, we will send you further details about the specifics of the march itself.
We appreciate your time and consideration in support of this important cause.
Example Letter #2
Recipe for disaster: take one small child, somewhere in Africa. Add tuberculosis, mix well. Now add measles, and you've produced a fatal mixture. The child has perished.
This deadly combination of TB and measles happens every hour of every day, and children die of it daily too.
Both of these diseases are preventable. The vaccines that will prevent them are freely available and inexpensive--for us, that is. But families living far away in poverty and ignorance have never heard of them and couldn't afford them if they did, so their children die.
The Aid for Africa organization takes vaccines into villages and rural areas in Springfield, and immunizes the children. We teach people in every village about sanitation and simple preventive health care, helping them to help their fellow villagers too.
We do a great deal, but we could do even more with your help.
$40 will immunize ten children against TB and measles.
$45 will train one villager in preventive health care.
Any amount that you can give will help.
Will you change the recipe above? Just add immunizations, and the children can live.
Example Letter #3
You probably weren't aware of this, but every day, more than 200 people in America are diagnosed with heart disease. Five years ago, my father was one of those individuals. Though he worked diligently to improve his health by exercising and eating more healthfully, he passed away two years ago.
Since that time, I have made it my personal mission to help people become more aware of the causes and effects of heart disease, and most important, of the ways that this deadly disease can be prevented. One of the ways I have done this is to participate each year in a three-day triathlon in northern New York State to raise money for the Americans against Heart Disease Association (AHDA). In the 27 years since AHDA was founded, it has raised more than $25 million to help fight this disease.
This year, AHDA has a goal to raise another million dollars, and the triathlon is one of its primary fundraisers. In order to participate in the triathlon, I must raise $2,500 by the end of this month. I am hoping that you will help me to raise the necessary funds by making a $100 tax-deductible donation to this cause. To do so, simply make your check out to "AHDA" and send it to me in the enclosed, self-addressed envelope.
I know that AHDA has made a difference in the lives of thousands of people as they have sought treatments and cures for heart disease. Please send your donation today, and help them to be able to continue in this important, life-saving work.
Example Letter #4
This year for my birthday, I've decided to do something special: I want to give, rather than receive. That's why I've decided on that day to participate in a local Hike for Life to promote breast cancer research. Every day in the United States, more than 50 women are diagnosed with breast cancer. I want to help find a cure for this cancer so that someday, women won't have to live with the fear of one day discovering they have this deadly disease.
The Jane Doe Breast Cancer Research Foundation was established 13 years ago by the family of one of the leading women of our community. Jane Doe was well known for serving the members of this community before she was diagnosed with breast cancer and passed away shortly thereafter in 1991. Since it was founded, the Foundation has raised more than half a million dollars to help fight this disease.
And now I want to help in that effort. My paternal grandmother died of breast cancer two years ago, and so I have a personal interest in this cause. Will you help me to raise the $1,000 needed to participate in the Hike for Life event by making a fully tax-deductible donation of $25? You can make your check directly to the Jane Doe Breast Cancer Research Foundation. To make a donation, please send your check no later than Friday, April 12, to the address above.
I am looking forward to being able to help in this worthwhile cause by participating in this fundraising event. I hope you will be able to help make this wish a reality.
Example Letter #5
Every year, more than 5,000 children in this country die from early childhood diseases. Sadly, many of these diseases do not yet have cures, or even reliable treatments. Joey Nunez was a child plagued by one of these diseases. Growing up, Joey was like any other little boy--happy, curious, and full of love and a sense of adventure. But then one day his life changed forever. When he was only 6 years old, Joey contracted a deadly disease. Though he struggled valiantly for two years to overcome this malady, the disease eventually took his life last winter. Unfortunately, too many children have similar stories.
The Doe Foundation was established 32 years ago by John Doe after his daughter, Mary, died from a childhood disease. Since the time it was founded, the Doe Foundation has worked zealously to raise money to promote research and to eradicate childhood disease. In that time it has raised over $10 million, and it has found cures for three life-threatening diseases.
In order to continue the crucial work we do, we are continually looking to find new Friends of the Foundation. I would like to personally invite you, Mr. and Mrs. Doe, to become Friends by making an annual donation to further this cause. Enclosed you will find a donor form with more information. As you can see, becoming a Friend is very easy. All you have to do is make an annual, tax-deductible donation for the amount of your choice by checking the appropriate box or writing in your own preferred donation amount on the form. Then send it and your check or money order (or you can make your donation using a credit or debit card, if you prefer) in the enclosed, self-addressed envelope. We will then send you a reminder letter every year with a stamped, self-addressed envelope in which you can make your annual contribution. Of course, you are free to change your donation amount at any time to meet your current circumstances.
By giving to the Doe Foundation, you are literally helping to save the lives of thousands of children throughout the world. Please decide to make a generous annual contribution today so that someday, children like Joey Nunez won't have to suffer anymore.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Begin your letter with a compelling story or statistic that illustrates the need for the funds you are raising to fight the disease or do the research.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Every day in the United States, more than 20 people die from this disease.
- This debilitating disease is not just someone else's problem. There have been cases diagnosed in more than 30 countries throughout the world.
- I want to tell you about Johnny, a young man that I look up to very much because of his courage in the face of almost insurmountable odds.
- In the last five years, the number of reported cases has almost doubled.
- In that country, one in every ten children is diagnosed with this disease.
- This disease, unlike too many others, has a cure. But unfortunately, many of those afflicted with it do not have the money to pay for the necessary treatments.
- Did you know that in our country alone, more than 100,000 people die every year from this syndrome?
- What's worse is that, for the many young people who go undiagnosed and untreated, most will die before the age of thirty.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- every day, more than
- one in every five children is diagnosed
- there are many more children like John
- but, unlike other runners, Mary has
- will die before the age of 30
- so many others like Dave
- there are so many others that need similar
- each year, more than 100,000 people
- the number increases every year
- more and more people are
- a story about Julie...or Mitch...or Liz
- last year alone more than
- there are more than 50,000 women like Jane who
- the time has come to
- in the U.S., about 5 people are diagnosed every day with
- in the U.S. alone
- has affected people in countries throughout the world
- something must be done
- struggle each day simply to
- for them, nothing is for granted
- around the world, more than
2 Tell about your group or organization, and indicate the good that you have accomplished in the past or that you plan to do in the future.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- But here at AWLA, we have made a commitment to find a cure for this disease.
- Our organization, though only 10 years old, has already made great progress in finding a more affordable treatment for this illness.
- The North American Breast Cancer Society, founded in 1985, has helped thousands of women over the last 20 years.
- Since the New Life Foundation was started 12 years ago, we have already made a difference in the lives of thousands of individuals by helping them cope with and then overcome their sickness.
- At ALL, we offer free clinics to help people learn about and prevent this too-common disease.
- Our goal is to be able to provide affordable care to everyone who has been diagnosed with this virus.
- The Doe Institute was founded 25 years ago to research cures for the growing number of skin diseases.
- In addition, we offer free screening to foster early detection of this ailment.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- Hearts Knit Together is a not-for-profit
- the Cancer Society was founded
- established in 1980 to fight
- for the past 30 years
- American Lung League began as a
- created to research possible cures for
- to find a cure for
- have worked tirelessly to
- has helped more than 30,000 people
- found a cure
- able to help
- raises money to
- founded five years ago
- since they were founded in 2018
- helped to provide relief to
- made a difference in the lives of thousands of
- helped sufferers of
- researching alternatives
- offer classes to help educate the public
- provide free screenings for
- researching more effective treatments of
- researching possible cures for
- able to find a vaccination for
- developed a treatment that
- inexpensive care for
- non-for-profit organization that
3 Illustrate the current (and ongoing) need that can be met by raising the money you are seeking.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- In order to keep up with the current demand, we are hoping to purchase additional equipment by the end of this year.
- To help prevent the spread of this disease, we want to expand our program to offer free testing for at-risk individuals.
- But to make this dream a reality, we must come up with additional funding.
- That is why we have a goal to raise additional funds throughout next month.
- With the additional space, we could double the number of patients we are currently able to treat.
- In addition, though, we would like to set up a program to educate young people about what they can do throughout their lives to prevent heart disease.
- To be able to expand our research into other areas, we must acquire additional staff and equipment.
- To keep up with the ever-growing number of cases, we need to hire and train more qualified staff.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- money will be used to
- donations go directly
- all proceeds will benefit
- money raised to further the
- additional funds will enable
- expand the current program
- need additional funding to
- allow us to purchase additional
- further the research that has been done
- treat current patients who suffer from
- find a cure for
- enable us to treat more
- increase the amount of
- improve the quality of
- increase the number of patients that we can
- bring relief to those
- research further causes of
- provide inexpensive care to
- offer free care for
- free screenings will make it possible for
- reduce the number of
- used to educate people about the dangers of
- increase awareness
- redouble our efforts to
- able to provide
4 Describe the fundraising event, or tell how the reader can make a direct monetary donation.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- We plan to raise the money needed to begin the new program by holding a fundraising campaign over the next month.
- That is why, dear friend, we are writing to you--to ask if you will help us to reach our goal by making a direct monetary donation for this cause.
- On May 15, we will be holding our most ambitious fundraising event ever.
- To raise this money, we are sponsoring a three-day biking excursion, from June 20 to 22.
- In order to make this fundraiser a success, we are asking for volunteers who can help us to plan and carry out the telethon.
- If you would like to help us to purchase this much-needed equipment, you can do so by donating directly to the Foundation.
- Our annual Get-a-Life Marathon will be held on October 23, beginning at 7 a.m.
- I hope you will attend our upcoming benefits concert, all proceeds of which will go toward helping us further this important research.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- on June 20 we will be holding
- our annual fundraiser
- Friday, March 12 at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, September 3, beginning at 8 a.m.
- will begin promptly at
- will be held at the
- to take place at the
- hope you will participate in our walkathon
- 3-day bike trek
- the Walk for Life will be
- fundraiser auction
- benefit concert
- seeking volunteers to help
- holding a telethon the week of
- please make your check out to
- all donations can be
- a special night of entertainment
- proceeds from the sale
- can mail a check to us by
- donate with cash, check, or your credit card
- can send your donation to our office
- can send a check, or make a donation with your credit card
5 Indicate the amount of money you are trying to raise, and invite the reader to contribute to your cause or to participate in the fundraising event.
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- Will you help us to reach our goal of raising $500,000 by contributing $100 today?
- That's why we're asking you, Mr. Jorgensen, to make a donation of $200 or more by the end of this week.
- Could you help us make this fund drive a success by volunteering to be on our fundraising committee?
- With your yearly contribution of $1,000, we can ensure that this program will bless the lives of thousands of patients for years to come.
- Will you participate in our fundraiser next Saturday, and help make this goal a reality?
- If you are able to attend our benefits concert, please RSVP no later than next Friday, March 10.
- Because you have had so much experience in this area, I am hoping you will help us to plan this year's fundraiser.
- An anonymous donor has committed to match all donations up to $250,000. Would you be willing to make a donation of $500 to help us qualify for this match?
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- need to raise $25,000 by
- hoping to raise $10,000
- have set a goal of
- will cost
- planning to donate $250,000 to the
- with $50,000 we can
- matching donations up to
- $100,000 will allow us to
- hope you can participate
- please help by donating
- your generous contribution of $100
- an annual donation of
- you can make a monthly donation of $50
- counting on you to
- need your help
- please make a donation today by
- allow us to make a difference/continue this work by
- hope you can attend
- please send a check today
- please pledge today
- know that with the help of people like you
- call today
- plan to see you there
- looking for volunteers to
- asking of the support of
- hope that you can assist us by
6 Close by reminding readers of the good they can accomplish by supporting the important work you are doing. Refer back to the person or statistics you mentioned in your opening as a way to tie your letter together.
Sample Sentences for Step 6
- Make a commitment to donate today to the Foundation, and help people like Annie have a long, happy life.
- Ms. Farnsworth, I hope you'll contribute today. There are so many kids like Jeffrey who are counting on people like you.
- With your help, we can prevent so many of these common diseases. All it takes is a little bit of sacrifice--is it worth it to you?
- We know we could never do this work without the continued support of people like you. For all you have done already to make our mission a success, we truly thank you.
- By contributing to our organization, you are making a difference to some young child's life, someone just like Natalie. Are you ready to make that difference today?
- Last year in our country, more than 50,000 people died from this disease. Will you help us fight this malady so that someday, that number will be zero?
- Every dollar you donate literally goes toward saving someone's life. I hope you feel compelled to give this priceless gift of life.
- With the help of concerned people like you, we know we can continue to fight this disease, and eventually, find a cure.
Sample Phrases for Step 6
- know that you can make a difference
- an instrumental part
- an important role in
- show your support by
- make it possible for us to
- without the help of people like you
- need the support of
- receive no government funding
- make it possible for
- able to save lives
- help us to fight
- help us to find a cure
- so many other individuals like Mary
- people like Michelle
- kids like Johnny
- able to provide the much-needed
- change the lives of
- help us to eliminate
- reduce the number of cases
- prevent this grave
- educate people so that
- don't want another life taken
- don't want anyone else to have to
- make a difference to the 100,000 people who
- want to fight back
- hope that you will take this opportunity