Example Letter #1
For more than twenty years, the (Name of Theater) has been entertaining and challenging the (Name of Town) community with top-notch productions of both classical and contemporary plays. Featuring a wide and diverse cast including the talented and celebrated actors (Name) and (Name), and benefiting from the innovative and skillful set and costume design of (Name), the theater's productions have regularly received the admiration of both the local and statewide press.
Given this strength of quality and reputation, people are often surprised to learn that the theater is an entirely nonprofit operation. But it's true. Each member of the group contributes his or her talents entirely out of personal passion and out of the desire to enrich the culture terrain of the community.
However, as you know, even nonprofit organizations need a financial foundation with which to pay for the ordinary expenses of materials, space, utilities, and publicity. At (Name of Theater), such funds are entirely the result of ticket sales.
As the start of the new season approaches, therefore, we are writing to let you know about the exciting theater currently in preparation. We have enclosed a brochure detailing the story and cast for each planned production. We have also enclosed a form that can be used to purchase tickets for the entire season or for individual plays. Tickets are sure to sell fast, so please consider placing your order as soon as possible to ensure your place in the audience. Your contribution will bring you hours of fine entertainment and will help the talented cast and crew of (Name of Theater) to continue enriching the cultural life of our community.
Example Letter #2
For the past 10 years, Shakespeare for Kids has been giving the children of our state their first taste of the bard's classic works. Staffed mainly by student volunteers from Springfield State's Drama department, the group travels to other schools and presents their repertoire, skillfully adapted to the understanding of the students. How many states can boast that 70% of their elementary school children know who Portia is? They performed "The Merchant of Venice" this past year, for about 70% of our city schools.
All this has been done without any expense to the individual schools, but the grant that has paid for the program is running out, and if we would like to retain the program, we will need to finance it now ourselves.
As a fundraiser, Shakespeare for Kids will present "The Merchant of Venice" again in the Springfield High Auditorium on Friday and Saturday, May 20 and 21, at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets will be $20 each, and are available at the high school office. All the money raised will go towards keeping this outstanding program going another year.
Please come and join us--we know you will enjoy the show!
Example Letter #3
For more than 30 years, the Springfield Theater Group has been bringing quality entertainment to families in this community. During that time, they have performed a plethora of productions, from Sophocles to Shakespeare to Rogers and Hammerstein to Tennessee Williams. Under the direction of Steve Mason, their longtime director, they have built a fine reputation.
Over the years, the theater company has delighted audiences young and old alike. And we want to continue to bring you quality performances for years to come. The time has come to update some of our equipment, and so we are raising $50,000 to purchase a new lighting and sound system. With the new system, you'll be assured the highest quality productions we can put on. Will you help us keep this legacy alive and thriving by donating $100 to the theater company so that we can buy this needed equipment?
In return for your generous donation, we will give you a pair of tickets to a play of your choice during the upcoming year. Simply write your check directly to the Springfield Theater Group and send it in the enclosed, stamped envelope by Monday, September 21. When we receive your check in the mail, we will send you the vouchers for the pair of free tickets, a sincere expression of our appreciation for your willingness to help us continue our work.
We have made a commitment to bring quality entertainment to the people in this community. Please help us to keep that commitment by sending in your $100 donation today!
Example Letter #4
Ten years ago, a dream was born. At that time, one young singer with vision had the desire to be part of a performing musical group. Because no such group then existed in the community, she started spreading the word about this interest, and soon a group of talented, dedicated high school-age performers--Youth Vocal Pointe--was formed. Since that time the group has grown to include over 30 performers, and their fame is known throughout the surrounding communities.
Youth Vocal Pointe brings outstanding entertainment to a wide audience. With their enthusiasm and commitment, they have truly made a name for themselves. And this summer, they have the chance to spread that fame even further: they have been given the opportunity to go on an international tour to perform throughout Europe and Asia.
This is a life-changing opportunity for these young people, one that they have worked very hard for. In addition, many of them will work all spring to earn money to help pay the $3,800 each that will cover their travel, food, lodging, and other expenses. In addition to their individual efforts, we will be holding various fund drives to help raise the necessary money. Our first fundraiser will be a special performance the group will put on early next month, on February 4 at 7 p.m. in Kingston Hall (see the enclosed flier for more information). The price of admission will be $50 per person, and all of the money will go toward paying for their tour.
This special performance will be one of their best, so mark your calendars and plan to attend to help them raise money for this worthwhile cause. I know you'll be glad you did.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Tell about the group or organization you are representing.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- The Center Stage Theater Performing Group was founded 25 years ago next month.
- We are proud to announce that, from our humble beginnings, the Doe City Orchestra has grown to more than 100 talented musicians.
- Vocal Pointe, a female vocal ensemble, was started just three months ago by some of the talented young ladies in our community.
- The Smithtown Children's Choir performs contemporary and classical numbers perfect for all audiences.
- When they first began, the Garrettsville Symphony had only 20 musicians.
- The Main Street Theater has been providing quality entertainment for more than 50 years.
- For nearly 75 years, the Springtown Men's Choir has been delighting audiences of all ages.
- Currently, we have more than 50 professional actors, and that number continues to increase.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- began 20 years ago
- for over 30 years
- the Actors' Guild
- Springfield Actors' Society
- Harrison Center has been
- Halestone Theater
- Madison Symphony
- Pleasantville Orchestra
- Carterville Choir
- Vocal Pointe is made up of
- made up of 30 professional actors
- has more than 100 members
- known throughout the state for their
- this group of all-star performers
- more than 50 performers
- more 100 talented musicians
- providing quality entertainment
- performing quality shows
- entertaining families for more than
- perform a wide variety of
- perfect for all audiences
- making beautiful music
- the best entertainment
- proud to bring you
2 Mention some of the group's accomplishments: what works they have performed, who some of their lead performers or directors/conductors are/were, what awards or recognition they have received, and so on.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- We have a large repertoire of classic and contemporary songs that have delighted audiences for years.
- As you have probably heard, we specialize in doing modern adaptations of some of Shakespeare's most popular works.
- In the last ten years, we have twice received the National Award for Excellence in Performing.
- We have a number of all-star orchestra members, including John and Jane Doe.
- Last year, Frederick Gustav, who is currently playing the leading role in Guys and Dolls, was nominated for a highly coveted Doe Distinguished Actor Award.
- Jane, who studied under John Doe, has been playing since he was three years old.
- Since we were founded in 1982, the Georgetown Symphony has received numerous awards, including the prestigious Jonathan Wagner Doe Award.
- The Jameson Family Choir has been performing popular folk songs for almost three decades, and they have received much recognition over the years for their fine shows.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- received numerous awards
- recognized as the leading
- such classic works as
- from classical to contemporary music
- three consecutive years
- all-time favorites
- star performers, including
- under the fine direction of
- performed many of the great works of
- directed by the great/talented
- various notable works, among them
- received outstanding recognition for his/her role in
- led by the very capable hands of
- under the fine tutelage of
- nominated for the Doe Global Award
- some of the most challenging
- nominated to receive the
- fourth-time winners of the
- specialize in the modern adaptations of
- performed more than 100
- the very talented Luis Mendez
- Jane Doe plays the leading role of
3 Indicate in what ways your group has benefited (or will benefit) the community.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We offer Broadway-quality performances at Springfield prices.
- Most important, we prize ourselves on offering wholesome, meaningful, family-friendly entertainment.
- Because all the proceeds they raise go to charity, they feel it is their mission, and not just their passion, to bring quality music to the people of this community.
- The Turner City Choir entertains audiences young and old, and their superb concerts truly make a difference in the lives of those who attend.
- Because the actors are almost all children and youth, the Madsen Children's Guild gives young performers the opportunity to develop and fine-tune their acting skills in a way they might not otherwise be able to until much later in life.
- Over the years, we have built a reputation for providing first-rate, quality entertainment for a wide variety of audiences.
- We make it our mission to bring to the citizens of this community those classic works that have touched, and will continue to touch, the lives of audiences for generations.
- As John Doe has said, "Music broadens the mind, touches the heart, and cleanses the soul." We at the Yourtown Performing Arts Council fully agree.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- bringing beautiful music to
- bringing the classic works of
- providing quality entertainment
- helping to broaden
- wholesome entertainment
- to Jamestown and the surrounding areas
- for young and old alike
- appeal to wide audiences
- providing a worthwhile activity
- making a difference in the lives of
- opening a world of opportunities for
- helping to bring
- quality entertainment at affordable prices
- expanding the minds of
- touching the lives
- soothe the soul/excite the emotions
- for the whole family
- works that will touch/have touched your hearts
- family-friendly entertainment
- live performances that will
4 Explain what the money that you are raising will be used for.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- That's why we're asking the people of this community to help us raise money for a new performing arts center--so that we can keep this tradition alive.
- In order to provide quality entertainment, we must continually update our sets, props, and costumes to accommodate the wide variety of shows we put on each year.
- Because we are expanding our youth symphony and orchestra, we must purchase additional instruments and outfits for the new musicians.
- In order to continue to bring to the public the best performances possible, we feel that the time has come to hire additional actors and supporting staff.
- So that we may begin to bring the joy of opera to this community, we have drawn plans for a new opera house.
- Because we receive no government funding, we rely solely on the modest proceeds from our ticket sales--and on the generosity of people like you--to keep this orchestra alive.
- The new theater will be bigger and of course more updated, allowing for larger sets and a greater number of performers, as well as for better light and sound quality.
- With the proposed renovations, we will be able to accommodate a larger stage and more seating to allow for a larger audience.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- purchase costumes for
- essential lighting and sound equipment
- build new sets
- continue providing quality entertainment
- purchase additional instruments
- purchase equipment
- only source of financing
- hire support staff
- hire additional actors/performers
- expand the scope of
- increase the number of
- able to accommodate more
- renovate the existing structure
- unable to continue without the support of
- need additional funding
- receive no aid from city or state
- maintain the theater
- build a new theater
- construct a new performing arts center
- purchase new props and supplies for
- update the
5 Ask for a monetary donation, and consider offering to give a premium in return (such as free tickets to an upcoming performance, a special "donors-only" concert or recital, or similar incentive).
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- We are asking members of the community to make a donation of $100 or more to help us save the theater.
- You are welcome to make a donation at any level--$20, $50, $100, $1000--more, less, or anywhere in between. And to show our appreciation to you as a loyal patron, we have included a pair of tickets to our opening performance--yours to keep, whether or not you are able to make a donation at this time (though of course we sincerely hope you are!).
- We will also send to you, as one of our annual donors, our quarterly magazine to help you keep abreast of the various events, new additions to our staff, and other important news.
- In addition, as a special "thank you" to our generous patrons, we will be holding a donors-only program the night of June 23. All those who donate at least $1000 are welcome to attend.
- Would you be willing, Mr. and Mrs. Malone, to lend your support to this cause by making a generous donation of $500?
- To raise these funds, we will be holding a telethon next week. When you receive a call from one of our volunteers, I hope you will make a generous donation to the choir.
- And if you sign up to make a monthly donation of at least $50, we will give you a pair of tickets to our opening show, absolutely free.
- When you make your donation of $200 or more, we will give you four tickets to an upcoming play of your choice. It's our way of saying "thank you!" for your generosity in helping us save the theater.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- asking you to donate
- please consider giving
- your donation of
- for only $50
- we will send you your free gift
- you will receive absolutely free
- as a token of our appreciation
- to show our appreciation
- hope you will accept your free
- like to send to you a pair of free tickets
- want to invite you to our donors-only
- a special night of entertainment for
- a special performance
- recital to honor
- honorary member of our
- send you a quarterly magazine
- your monthly newsletter
- asking you to pledge
- annual donation of $500
- monthly donation of $40
- generous donation of $1000
- with your donation of more than $100
- donations of $50, $100, or $200
- be a member of our Directors' Circle when you donate
- invite you to be a member
6 Reiterate the meaningful service you provide for your community. Also, thank readers for their support of your organization in the past (if appropriate), and express your assurance that with their (renewed) financial support, you will be able to continue to bring them fine performances for years to come.
Sample Sentences for Step 6
- For more than 50 years, we have proudly served the members of this community.
- We are happy to bring to this community some of the finest musicals and plays that have ever been written. We know that with your generous financial support, we will be able to continue to do so for years to come.
- This theater company is one of the oldest in the nation. We hope, with your financial support, we may be able to keep it going for years and years to come.
- Please help us to continue this legacy of beautiful music so that we may pass it on to the many generations that will follow.
- For the many times you have given so generously in the past, Mrs. Tyler, we truly thank you
- Each one of you has given generously to the Foundation in the past, and we thank you for it. We hope you will find it in your hearts to make a donation today so that we may purchase the new sets and other equipment we need.
- Mr. Jensen, thank you for the financial support you have given to us throughout the years. We know that the symphony wouldn't be alive today without the generous contributions of people like you.
- We want to express our appreciation for the support you have given us over the years as a longtime patron of the theater. We hope you will make a donation today to ensure that we will be able to bring you entertainment for years to come.
Sample Phrases for Step 6
- happy to bring to you
- proud to provide worthwhile entertainment
- helping to broaden young minds
- grateful for the support
- past donations have made such a difference
- know that we couldn't survive without
- appreciate very much all those
- convey our gratitude
- truly thankful to all those
- appreciative of the support of the community
- want to thank the many donors
- blessed by the support of
- thankful to the many members of this community who
- wish to thank all of the individuals
- want to express our appreciation
- know that with your renewed support
- know that with your aid
- will be able to continue to bring quality
- enable us to continue the legacy
- allow us to continue to provide
- with the continued support of people like you
- for many years to come
- will be entertaining this community