Example Letter #1
As a fellow member of the (Name of Town) community, I am writing to share news of an important initiative recently suggested at the monthly town meeting. A group of residents, including myself, instigated a discussion about the need for wheelchair friendly access to the public buildings within our community. Currently, the public library, the town hall, and a handful of public schools are without easy access points for individuals in wheelchairs. Of course, this situation places a number of residents at a significant disadvantage; thus the problem must be resolved.
After a good deal of discussion, residents at the town meeting decided to initiate a private fundraising campaign to attract attention to the cause and to collect funds to assist the city in paying for the necessary renovations. Thus, in the hope that you will connect with our cause, we have enclosed with this letter a brochure describing the situation and the need. We have also enclosed a donation form, and we hope you will consider making a contribution at one of the three levels suggested.
We thank you for your understanding and willingness to transform our community into a better home for all of its residents.
Example Letter #2
Have you been outside at night recently? Have you noticed how dark it is in our neighborhood? Did you know that Mrs. Doe was accosted by a stranger while she was trying to get into her car on Apple Street last month, and it was so dark she couldn't see to put the key into the lock? She's fine, though. A neighbor heard her call out and ran out to help her.
We need street lights in the Springfield Commons neighborhood! The city council agrees, but says that budgetary constraints will delay any action for at least three years. Do we want to wait that long?
We have found a state Safe Neighborhoods grant that could cover most of the cost of the street lights, but we will have to raise the first $7,500. That may seem like a lot, but it works out to a little less than $30 per family unit. Many in the neighborhood can easily afford that amount. Others will find it difficult, but as a neighborhood we can do this. We have worked together in the past, and we can do it again.
Would you please fill out the enclosed pledge card, and let us know how much you would be willing to donate towards the street lights. If we can have all the cards back by the end of next week, we will have a better idea of what fundraising events, if any, we will need to hold.
Thank you for your cooperation. Together we can make Springfield Commons a safer place to live.
Example Letter #3
During the last couple of years, several people from the community have mentioned to me their desire that an effort be made to clean up the surrounding neighborhoods. Unfortunately, nothing has ever come of it because the city does not have the money to fund the project. That is why I feel that we, as community members, should raise the necessary money to pay for this much-needed revitalization and beautification of our neighborhoods.
Some of you may remember several years ago when citizens worked together to raise money to put new playground equipment in Jefferson Park. Because of concerned and dedicated citizens like you, that effort was a great success, and I'm sure that this current project can be just as successful if we all pull together for this common cause.
I feel the time has come once again to act, before things begin to truly deteriorate. A committee has been formed to head a fundraising project, and we have set up a Revitalization Fund. Our goal is to raise $150,000 over the next 6 months. All of the money donated will go toward putting in curbs and gutters where they are missing, purchasing supplies to clean up trash and other debris, removing graffiti, and doing basic landscaping where needed. In addition, we will purchase trees and shrubs that will be planted around the various neighborhoods where they will be of most benefit.
We would like to start collecting money and purchasing supplies and equipment so that we may begin this project by early next spring. Will you help us to begin this effort by donating $100 to the fund by the 30th of this month? You can send a check or money order, made out to "Sun City Revitalization Fund," to the address above.
I want to personally thank you for your past interest in helping to improve our community. Please commit now to help us in this most current need by making your $100 donation today.
Example Letter #4
As parents of school-age children, I'm sure you will be interested in what I am going to propose. For some time now, I have felt that an after-school program would be ideal in our community because of the large number of young families in the area. I know that many of these families, either because of desire or need, have both parents (or a single parent) who work outside of the home and do not get home until after their children have already returned from school.
If you are like me, perhaps you are concerned about your children being home when you are not there. Did you know that the crime rate among school-age children is the highest not at night, but between the hours of 3 to 6 p.m., when parents are still at work? Perhaps you worry about what they are doing when you are not there to supervise. Or perhaps you wonder if they are safe. Or maybe you would just be interested in having them participate in something more intellectually challenging or uplifting than simply watching TV or playing video games after school.
I know I am concerned about these things. That is why I would like to organize and raise money for an after-school program, where our children could participate in safe, fun, and enriching activities and lessons.
I have already talked with the school board, and they simply don't have the resources to offer such a program on their own. However, they are quite willing to cooperate by letting us use the elementary school for the project. And, by raising money ourselves to fund the program, we will be ensuring quality education and a safe environment for our children.
The annual cost of the program will be about $10,000. In order to begin raising the necessary funds, I and a number of other interested individuals are holding a fundraising auction on Saturday, April 12, at the elementary school, from 9 to 3. If you are interested in seeing this program become a reality, please come and support this effort, and invite your friends and family to come as well. We are also taking donations for the auction, so please bring any new or lightly used items that you would like to contribute (such as books, videos, electronics, toys, and sports or exercise equipment) to the school by 4 p.m. on Friday, April. 11. (Food items to be donated may be brought on the day of the auction.)
If you have any additional questions or would like to be involved in this effort, please call me at 555-5555.
I look forward to seeing you on the day of the auction. I know that an after-school program would be a great benefit to everyone, so please come and lend your support to this very worthy cause.
P.S. In addition to the fundraising event, we are also taking direct financial donations. If you are interested in making a direct monetary contribution, simply indicate the amount on the enclosed form and send it with your check or money order to the address above. You will then receive a receipt for your tax-deductible donation.
Example Letter #5
I know that you are aware of the vandalism and vehicle break-ins that have occurred in this and surrounding neighborhoods over the last several months. Much discussion has taken place to try and determine what should be done about this problem. Though local law enforcement officials have promised to increase their vigilance, they simply do not have the resources necessary to give this problem the attention it deserves.
That is why I'm writing to you. I, and a number of other individuals in the area, believe that the time has come to be proactive and work to resolve this challenge ourselves. Therefore, we have formed a committee to determine what would be the best course of action to pursue to solve this problem. After much deliberation, we propose that the necessary funds be raised to hire a pair of nighttime guards to watch over our neighborhoods. With two private security guards and the help the local police force can give, I feel we will be able to put a stop to this vandalism and thievery. And, most important, I hope that the extra security will help us once again feel safe in our homes.
The cost of hiring the nighttime security guards would be about $20,000 per year. In order to meet this cost, we as a committee are inviting each household in this and the surrounding Springfield neighborhoods to make a monthly contribution of $25 to the security fund we have established. To do so, simply fill out the enclosed form indicating your commitment to this cause, and mail it to the address indicated above. We will then contact you with additional information.
Please resolve now to make the safety and well-being of our community a priority by deciding to contribute financially to this effort. I look forward to hearing from you.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Indicate the specific need that you are addressing.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- As you know, many of our nearby neighbors have lost their homes and many of their possessions because of the recent devastating flooding.
- As chair of the HOA, I would like to propose that we raise money to build a small park in the empty lot north of the development.
- Several individuals have expressed to us their interest in planting trees along the streets in town.
- After the recent vandalism, I have determined that we should raise money to hire a security guard for our neighborhood.
- We understand that there is not enough money in the budget to pay for the addition of sidewalks and gutters, so several of us have decided that we would like to raise the money ourselves.
- For several years, we have talked about building a community center in our town.
- We would like to raise money to improve the landscaping around the recreation center.
- I would like to establish a fund to raise money for an after-school program for the kids in our community.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- working together to
- a safer community
- raise money to purchase
- purchase land to build a recreation area
- hope to build a park
- raise money to hire security
- money used to beautify
- want to improve the
- plant additional trees and
- raise money to add sidewalks and
- set up a neighborhood watch
- start an after-school program
- a safe place for our children
- raise money for the volunteer
- pool our resources to
- make a difference by
- show our support of
- take a stand to
- need to stop the
- establish a fund for
- help those in need
- after the disastrous effects of
- provide relief for
- serve others in the community
- construct a community center
2 Remind readers of accomplishments they have had in the past by working together for a common good.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Some of you will recall that last year we petitioned for (and got!) money to repair some of the damage that had been done in our town by vandals.
- When the hurricanes struck a couple of years ago, our neighborhood really came together, and we were able to raise almost $5,000 to send to those in need.
- Remember, our combined efforts a few years ago made it possible for a community center to be built near our neighborhood.
- We have already demonstrated that we can work together and bring about great things. For example, two years ago we were able to raise the money needed to renovate the clubhouse.
- Several years ago, when we wanted to add a pool for our development, we worked together and raised the $15,000 to be able to put it in.
- A few years ago, we showed how much we can accomplish by working together when we stopped the construction of that strip mall on the other side of town.
- I know we can succeed because similar projects have been accomplished in nearby communities. In Springfield, citizens raised money to build a small, but very serviceable, public library.
- In 2018, we were able to raise enough money in only a few short months to purchase land and construct a small ballpark.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- last year we were able to
- in Charlestown, citizens were able to
- made a real difference to
- able to stop the
- surrounding communities worked together
- united for a common good
- worked together to purchase
- showed how much we can accomplish by
- already demonstrated that we can
- raised more than $10,000
- pulled together to
- able to protect the interests of
- voiced our support
- voiced our concerns
- brought about change
- raised enough money to
- our combined efforts made it possible
- community came together to
- helped more than 1,000
- provided necessary food and shelter
- money was raised to
- blessed the lives of
- in only a few short months
3 Tell why citizens should work together now to raise money to meet the current need.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Just like then, we must work together if we are to succeed.
- I know we can accomplish this latest objective if we come together and work as a team.
- And now, once again, we are facing a situation that must be dealt with before it gets worse.
- But if we are to succeed in our current goal, we must act now.
- Without the help of everyone in the neighborhood, we will not be able to accomplish this purpose.
- We have worked hard to come up with a sound solution to this problem, but now we need your help to implement it.
- In order to protect our families (and our property), we must join together for this common good.
- In order to raise the money for our current goal, we have formed a committee to head the project.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- now we face an even greater need
- more important than ever
- if we don't do something
- something must be done
- time has come to act
- in order to have a safer
- situation will continue to worsen
- meet the immediate need
- in desperate need of
- give our support to
- have a strong voice
- make a real difference
- gain the support of
- come up with a solution
- put our heads together to
- facing our most difficult challenge
- must act now
- work together to
- have formed a committee to
- looking for volunteers to help
- channel our efforts
- counting on you to
- need the support of every person
- without the help of each individual
- no time to waste
- best way to
- if we all work together we can
- for more than 30 years we have
4 Indicate how much money you hope to raise, ask for the monetary gift or describe how the money will be raised, and give important details about the fundraising event (if applicable) such as date, time, location, and so on.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- To raise the necessary funds, we are asking for a donation of $100 from each household.
- On Saturday, May 5, we will be holding our first fundraising activity, a car wash that will go from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- We are pleased to announce that our local band, Sound Off, will be performing on Saturday, September 20, at 7 p.m. All proceeds from the concert will go toward our goal.
- In order to pay for the increased security, we must raise $100,000 annually. However, if everyone will contribute just $30 per month, we can meet this goal.
- The project will cost just over $5000, and we are planning to hold a 10K run/walk to raise the money.
- So on the evening of Friday, April 20, we will be holding a sports challenge in order to raise the funds.
- To provide for the initial cost of purchasing the trees and shrubs and then maintaining and replacing them, we are asking for an annual contribution of $250.
- In order to renovate the community center, we will need to raise $80,000. To do this, we are asking for monetary donations of $80 (or more, if you wish!) to meet this need.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- want to raise $10,000
- need at least $5,000
- $2,000, which will go toward
- hope to raise more than $20,000
- asking that citizens donate
- please send a check today
- tickets will be sold for
- your donation of $50
- benefits concert will be held
- a special night to honor
- fundraising event will take place
- on Friday, December 15 at 6 p.m.
- donate $25, $30, or $45
- with a donation of $100 or more
- will be held at the Sullivan Events Center
- at 7 p.m. in Langford Hall
- next Wednesday at the City Hall
- Saturday evening in the Community Center
- will be holding a fundraising auction
- will be selling tickets for
- consider donating $30
- for $1 a day
- your monthly contribution of
- an annual donation of $200
5 If applicable, thank readers for their past support, and encourage them to get involved in the current fundraiser to help make their community a better (or safer, more beautiful, etc.) place.
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- I want to thank all of you for your past support, and urge you to contribute to our fund to build a library for our town.
- I know this neighborhood matters to you, so please show your support by participating in our fundraiser on June 5.
- We truly do appreciate the contributions you have made in the past, and we urge you to take part in the telethon next week.
- Your financial contribution is very important to us. Without it, we won't be able to make the renovations that will truly revitalize downtown.
- Play an important part in the future of your community by making your financial donation today!
- As mayor of this town, I want to encourage you all to participate in our fundraiser next Saturday, July 24.
- Please join us on Friday, March 5, at our fundraising concert. We look forward to seeing you there.
- Help us make a difference in our neighborhood by sending your donation for $100 (or more!) today.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- very much appreciate the help
- grateful for the past support
- thankful to all those who
- wish to express our appreciation
- want to thank all those
- express our heartfelt thanks
- able to accomplish so much
- have been able to
- hope you will feel compelled
- hope you will want to
- encourage you to take action
- want to encourage all citizens
- please join us today to
- please make a donation so that we can
- counting on your support
- please act now so that
- your financial support will allow us to
- we're counting on you to
- help us make a difference by
- show your support by
- so that we can
- work together to
- play an important part
- asking you to
- take this opportunity to