Example Letter #1
For ten years already, The Young Companions have been providing numerous forms of assistance to the elderly residents of our town. Some seniors need help with bills and correspondence. Other individuals yearn for a friendly and familiar face. Still other individuals suffer from failing vision and simply enjoy listening to a novel read aloud. Of course, many seniors still desire to get out and about but can't manage most excursions on their own. The members of The Young Companions understand and address these and many other needs.
To top it all off, these services are provided voluntarily through the compassion and goodwill of our members. However, the group administration has always been committed to covering the expenses our members must pay to get from their homes to the seniors' places of residence. Some members take public transportation. Other members drive their own cars. In all cases, the administration desires to cover the cost of travel.
Although these costs are not much, given the nonprofit status of The Young Companions, we depend on donations to provide compensation to our members. We are writing today, therefore, to ask for your support of our cause and of the wonderful commitment of our young members. We have enclosed a donation form and a prepaid envelope. Please take moment to consider supporting the valuable services provided by these young, committed individuals.
The Young Companions greatly appreciates your understanding and support.
Example Letter #2
You may have heard of Springfield Rocks! If you have, chances are you heard praise for this outstanding group of teenagers.
The leaders and members of Springfield Rocks know that teenagers can be a force for good in their communities. They also know that teenagers who are busy helping other people don't have time to get into trouble. It's a winning formula.
In the past year, the kids of Springfield Rocks have cleaned up the city park, planted tulips at the Elder Care Center, and prepared emergency kits for every elementary school classroom in the city. Now they're getting ambitious and want to improve West Park by building a children's playground and a skateboard park.
They have the approval of the City Council, and there are adult volunteers and contractors ready to help. They also have the plans and the permits, so all they need now is the funding.
Are you willing to help with this? Please give $20, $35, or whatever you can afford, to make this dream a reality. We have enclosed an envelope for your convenience.
You will be helping to make West Park an exciting, fun place for the youngsters of Springfield. Even more than this, you will be helping the teenagers of Springfield Rocks become strong leaders and exemplary citizens.
Questions? Suggestions? Please call Jane Doe at 555-5555.
Thank you so much for your help.
Example Letter #3
During the past 57 years, the Accelerate boys club has made it their mission to serve the communities throughout this country by helping young men develop important lifelong skills, including leadership, teamwork, integrity, citizenship, service, and self-reliance.
We believe that the success of our youth is vital to our future. That's why we put such a high value on the young men in our community. By serving others and participating in worthwhile, uplifting activities, they are gaining important knowledge and building strong characters. Because of this, they have the ability to do a great amount of good in our society.
At this time, we are holding our annual fund drive to raise money for the Accelerate program. By holding this fundraiser each year, we hope this program will be able to continue for years to come. I hope you will show your support to the program and to the young men who take part in it by making a generous donation to Accelerate. To do so, simply fill out the attached form, indicate the amount of your 100 percent tax-deductible donation, and then mail it in the enclosed self-addressed, stamped envelope.
It is through the support of people like you, Ms. Doe, that the Accelerate program is able to succeed. Please make a donation today, and help make a difference in the lives of the young men in our community.
Example Letter #4
For more than 40 years, the Youth Club of America has been building strong young men and women for a better tomorrow. We focus on teaching boys and girls ages 14-18 a variety of important skills to help them achieve success and to be competent, responsible leaders for future generations.
One of the primary ways we strive to build character in our youth is to give them opportunities to serve in the community. And this June, the 17- and 18-year-old youth from our local chapter have a very special privilege: they have been offered the opportunity to participate in a 10-day ecoservice project in Bolivia. (Specific details about the project omitted.)
In order to participate in this rare opportunity, each young person must pay $1500, which will cover the cost of food, travel, lodging, and all other expenses. In order to raise money to help pay for the trip, we will be holding a number of fundraising projects over the next couple of months. Our first fund drive, an "eco bike-a-thon," will be held two weeks from Saturday. (See the enclosed flier for more details.) As you can read from the flier, those who wish to participate in the bike-a-thon can do so by paying the $100 registration fee, 100 percent of which will go toward our objective of raising $34,500--the cost needed to send our 23 youth to South America.
I hope you will come and support our youth group by participating in the eco bike-a-thon on the 17th. We look forward to seeing you there!
P.S. If you cannot participate in the bike-a-thon, your financial contribution is still very welcome. Simply send your check to the address given above.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Describe the group or organization for which you are raising money, and illustrate the positive effects that the organization has (or can have) on its members.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Our local chapter of the YMW Club was organized almost 30 years ago, and its members have been making a positive change in our community ever since.
- The Doe Youth Group is made up of young adults ages 18-30 who want to have fun, meet other people who share their interests, and most important, be a positive influence for their peers and others in the community.
- Though our local chapter is not very big (yet!), it is part of a nationwide organization with more than 50,000 members.
- The New Horizons Club caters primarily to disadvantaged youth in our county who are looking for ways to make positive changes in their lives as well as make a difference in the greater community.
- The Lakeside Kids on the Move Club is for boys and girls ages 8-15. The primary mission of the club is to teach kids valuable skills (problem-solving, money management, conflict resolution, and more) at a young enough age so that these skills can really make a difference in their lives.
- Though we seek to have fun, our main goal is to teach youth the importance of making socially responsible choices and of giving back to the community for the greater good.
- The Murray Youth Volunteers was started more than 50 years ago, and ever since, they have been meeting at least weekly to participate in worthwhile service opportunities here in our town and in the broader community.
- Primarily, we want to offer kids and young adults a fun, safe alternative for recreation, where they can learn about themselves and their world, and make strong friendships in the process.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- members of the
- a group of boys
- young men and women
- boys and girls
- the Centerville Boys' Club
- Boys' and Girls' Club
- Springtown Youth Group
- was established back in
- has been helping youth for over 30 years
- a nationwide organization
- founded by
- more than 500 youth from our town are involved
- chapters in many
- more than 30,000 members in the United States
- for disadvantaged youth
- youth ages 12-18
- for children ages 8-11
- can learn important
- developing teamwork
- promote physical and emotional health
- building character
- providing worthy role models
- providing leadership opportunities
- teaching valuable skills
- giving kids a safe
- a healthy alternative to
- organization of young people
- group of young adults
- group of young men
2 Tell how the group benefits (or can benefit) your community.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Because we are building strong future leaders, the club benefits the youth who are involved in it, but it also benefits the community as a whole.
- We are strengthening our community by teaching youth the importance of moral values and of making responsible choices, rather than just following the crowd.
- Moreover, we work with at-risk youth who, without the benefit of wholesome activities, might turn to other, more negative means of fitting in.
- At Senior Swap, we help strengthen the community by building strong bonds between teens and senior citizens.
- Quite frequently, we work with similar groups throughout the state on projects with a greater scope so that we can accomplish even more for the good of our community.
- In all we do, we are striving to create model citizens who will be strong and valiant future leaders of our community.
- Though we make it a point to plan activities that the young men and women will enjoy, we also want to teach them a lot more than just how to have "fun."
- At SYO, we make it a point to give back to the community by holding service projects and by educating youth about social responsibility.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- provide opportunities for youth to
- frequent service projects
- active role in the community
- make a difference by
- helping to strengthen the community
- working together with
- partnering with citizens to
- have given many hours
- work tirelessly to
- giving service to those
- model citizens who
- giving back to the community
- role models for
- have been able to
- true spirit of service
- help to build a stronger
- work together to change
- worked with similar groups to
- working with senior citizens
3 Tell what the money will be used for and how it will support the objectives of the youth group. Include the total amount of money that you hope to raise (if desired).
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- A number of our kids who would like to participate in the convention simply will not be able to do so unless we can raise additional money for them.
- Our organization understands how important it is for youth to have a safe, fun place to go, and that's why we're raising money to build a new youth center.
- Because we really love these kids, we want them to succeed. And that's why we want to set up a scholarship fund.
- We want to expose the kids to new experiences to broaden their horizons, and that's why we have planned this educational trip.
- In order for all of the kids to participate, we need to raise $20,000 by the end of the month.
- We will be holding an ongoing fundraiser until the end of the year in order to raise the $1,000 needed for each child who attends the conference.
- To fund these activities for the upcoming year, we are planning to raise $5,000 by the end of December.
- We need to raise $2,000 to purchase the necessary equipment and supplies, and we're hoping that you can help us to meet this goal.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- money raised will be used to
- build a new youth center
- purchase uniforms and supplies
- buy equipment
- allow participants to take part in
- provide opportunities for
- in order to attend
- tools to make
- enable a group of volunteers to go to
- purchase tickets for
- take part in the national convention
- further their goals of
- make it possible for
- allow us to
- will provide scholarships for
- with donations of $2,000 or more, we can
- hope to raise $5,000
- hoping to bring in $1,000
- would like to raise more than $10,000
- need to raise $500
4 Ask for a specific amount of money.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- Therefore, we're asking you to donate $25 to help us meet this goal.
- Would you be willing to donate $75 to help build a child's future?
- Mr. and Mrs. Mendez, your monthly contribution of $50 will fund participation in the program for one young man or woman in our town.
- Will you commit today to making an annual donation of $500 to help us make this dream a reality?
- Your generous donation of $100 will allow one boy or girl to participate.
- And, every dollar that you give (up to $250) will be matched by an anonymous donor.
- Even if you can donate only $10 per month, that amount, though small, will give a child the hope of a brighter future.
- Or, if $75 is not feasible at this time, would you be willing to make a donation of $50 instead?
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- ask that you donate $25
- asking for donations of $10, 15, or $20
- hope you can donate
- for as little as $1 per day
- your donation of $50
- your monthly contribution of $25
- every dollar that you give
- with $40, we can provide
- your generous donation of $100
- if each person will donate just $10 per month
- your annual donation of $250
- your donation of $35 or more
- even if you could donate $20
- your donation of $50 will purchase
- give $20 to help save
- over $100, we'll send a free gift
5 Include instructions for when and how the money should be given.
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- We have enclosed a donor card that you can fill out and send back with your donation.
- If you would like to make a donation, simply go to our Web site and click on "Donate", or you can send a check to the address above.
- We are happy to accept donations by mail, phone, or online.
- To raise this money, we will be holding a fundraiser auction on Thursday, March 7th.
- In order to raise this money, we will be holding a walkathon for anyone in the community who wants to participate.
- If you are able to contribute, please send your check or money order by next Friday, October 17.
- For your convenience, we have included a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Simply fill out the information below, detach the bottom section, and send it with your check.
- Our annual fundraiser will be next Saturday at 9 a.m., so don't be late!
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- please send donations
- can use the enclosed envelope
- accept all major credit cards
- make checks payable to
- please return your donations
- can call our office at
- happy to stop by your home and
- send your donation by mail or stop by
- please bring donations to
- or pay online by visiting our Web site
- have included a self-addressed, stamped envelope
- gladly accept payments by
- look forward to receiving
- please send donations by June 1
- receive your donation by Friday, April 3
- by Friday, March 23
- by the end of next week
- will be collecting
- holding an auction next Saturday
- receive all donations by
- fundraiser will be held October 15
- annual fundraiser will be August 4
- please send your check by
- please make your contribution before
- send your donation by October 3 so that we can
6 Thank readers for their interest in helping the youth group (if appropriate), and reiterate how important it is that the group receive donations in order to succeed in their objectives.
Sample Sentences for Step 6
- I want to thank all of you who have shown your support to the club in the past, and I hope you will feel compelled to make a donation today to help keep it going strong.
- We truly appreciate the support we have received from this community. We count on it in order to succeed.
- We would not be able to continue as an organization without the financial support of so many people like you, and we are very grateful for the support you give us.
- Over the years we have counted on the citizens of this town to make our program a success. Thank you!
- In closing, we just want to thank all of you for your past support, and ask that you will renew that commitment at this time.
- May I express my heartfelt thanks for all of the support you give us. We truly appreciate it.
Sample Phrases for Step 6
- grateful for your past support
- very appreciative of the support of this community
- express our thanks to all those
- truly appreciate the many individuals
- make this organization a success
- couldn't do it without you
- wish to thank all those
- hope that you will
- please pledge today to
- need your help
- make a donation today
- take a moment to
- send your donation to
- counting on the support of
- hope you will attend
- make it possible
- please give a generous donation
- please help us to
- in order to succeed
- want to continue to
- need the support of
- mail a check today
- with the support of
- asking you to
- express our appreciation to those
- want to convey our heartfelt thanks
- show our gratitude