School Equipment or Supplies • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
Generally write this letter to parents of the students at the school, as well as to others who live in the neighborhood or community where the school is located, especially alumni and other individuals with strong scholastic ties.
How to write this fundraising letter:
- Explain the need for the funds you are raising and include the amount you are hoping to raise.
- Indicate how the funds will be raised (fundraising auction or similar event, direct-mail requests, etc.).
- Tell how the new equipment or supplies will benefit the students, faculty, or the larger community.
- Be sure to emphasize important deadlines.
- Reiterate your hope that the students and parents will participate in the fundraising event.
Example Letter #1
As we all know, computers are at the heart of modern life. More and more leisure activities require technological comfort, and more and more professions require specialized proficiency. Therefore, it's essential that technology play a growing role in the education of our students.
To address this need, (Name of School) would like to acquire enough computers to place one in each classroom of our school. However, the funds for such materials are not provided for in the yearly budget, and so in a few weeks time, (Name of School) will initiate a fundraising campaign to attract attention to the topic and to attract funds for the purchase.
We are writing today to ask you, the parents of our students, to help us spread word of our fundraising efforts. Specifically, we would like you to widen the exposure of our campaign by distributing fundraising brochures to the shops and restaurants near your home. In addition, we would encourage you to pass the materials to family members or friends who might consider contributing to the cause.
If you are willing to lend a hand, please call (Name) at (Phone Number) to request that the fundraising brochures be sent to your home. Of course, please also feel free to pick up the brochures in person. Since the campaign officially begins on (Date), we hope you will respond to our request as soon as possible.
We greatly appreciate your understanding and support.
Example Letter #2
Did you know that most teachers spend money out of their own pockets to furnish classroom supplies? The teachers at Springfield Middle School are no exception. Some of our teachers are spending as much as $50 per month on supplies for art and science projects, as well as curriculum enrichment for our children.
Our PTA asked some of the teachers why they don't insist that the students provide these items themselves. The response was that they don't want to penalize students whose parents cannot or will not pay for the supplies.
We can do better than that! We asked the teachers to prepare lists of needed supplies that are not furnished by the school district, and we plan to stock the school supply room with all the necessary items.
Instead of holding yet another fundraising event, we are simply asking for donations. Please look at the enclosed list and send what classroom supplies you can to the school by the end of next week. If you would prefer to donate money instead and have the PTA purchase the supplies, we would appreciate that too.
Thank you for your help with this project. If each of us gives a little, every one of our children will benefit.
Example Letter #3
As an alumna of our school, I am hoping that you will help us meet a pressing need that exists in our high school. Since our doors opened more than 50 years ago, we have been committed to giving our students the best education possible. That's why we are planning to raise $10,000 to purchase new computers for our computer lab. There is simply not money in the budget to buy the computers at this time, but those we have are already several years old, and if we wait, the programs and technology they use will only become more outdated.
In order to raise the money to purchase the new computers, we will be holding a special fundraising auction, and we are inviting everyone from the community to attend. The fundraiser will be on Friday, October 20, at 5:30 p.m., so mark your calendar today!
In addition to coming and supporting the school by attending the event, any items you could donate to the auction would be much appreciated. If you would like to donate any new or lightly used items, please bring them to the school by that Friday, the day of the auction, by 2 p.m. We would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the fundraiser; just call our office at 555-5555 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
We hope you will be able to come and support our school by taking part in this fund drive to raise money for this very worthwhile cause. We'd love to see you there!
P.S. If you would like to help raise money but are unable to attend the event, donations of any amount are welcome and can be sent directly to the school. Simply mention that they are for the "Computer Fund." Thanks!
Example Letter #4
You may have heard that a new charter school is being built over in the Springfield development. As you know, this is an area with primarily young families, and the school will prove a wonderful academic opportunity for these children.
Construction on the building is almost complete, and we are very excited to buy the furniture and other equipment needed for the classrooms, library, etc. In order to keep tuition and other costs as low as possible, we are planning to raise much of the needed funds for this expense. Will you help us to raise $100,000 to purchase computers, desks and chairs, bookshelves, tables, and other needed items by making a donation of $250 to our "Classroom Fund"? We hope to have all of the funding by the beginning of the summer so that we will have time to purchase and set up the equipment before classes begin in the fall. If you could send your tax-deductible donation to the address indicated above by April 1, we would really appreciate it.
Mr. Doe, I believe in the success of our school, and I know that with the support of people like you, we can keep the costs of attending the school as low as possible so that more families will have the opportunity to benefit. I hope you will help us in this worthwhile cause--after all, is there anything more important than the education of our future leaders?
P.S. If you are not able to make a donation of $250 at this time, would you be able to make a donation of $100, instead?
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Explain the need for the funds you are raising and include the amount you are hoping to raise.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- As you know, the need to keep pace with current technology is a must for the young people of today.
- Our school library really needs to be expanded so that we will have room for additional books and other resources.
- Because the school board does not see this as a pressing need at this time, we have decided to raise the money to repaint the classrooms and lockers ourselves.
- In order to expand our athletic program, we are raising money to purchase the piece of land adjacent to the school.
- We hope to raise $15,000 by the end of the school year in order to update the collection of books in the library.
- To purchase the new equipment for the football team, we plan to raise $5,000.
- We have set a goal to raise $20,000 in order to furnish the classrooms with new desks, bookshelves, and computer and desk for the teachers.
- To do this, we hope to raise $10,000 for the sets, costumes, and other necessary equipment.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- in great need of additional supplies
- hope to purchase new computers
- purchase new books for the library
- money to replace the roof
- used to buy uniforms for
- purchase equipment for the hockey team
- allow us to paint classrooms
- to furnish the classrooms
- upgrade the current
- update the buildings
- build additional classrooms
- purchase adjacent land to be used for
- renovate the existing
- in order to buy new sports equipment
- all proceeds will go to
- money raised will be
- planning to raise $100 for each student
- hope to raise at least $5,000
- bring in at least $2,500
- would like to raise $10,000
- plan to raise $25,000 by the end of
- a goal of raising more than
- purchase additional desks and bookcases
- furnish the new classrooms
2 Indicate how the funds will be raised (fundraising auction or similar event, direct-mail requests, etc.).
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- In order to raise the necessary funds, we will be holding a car wash every Saturday next month.
- Next Friday, October 20, at 7 p.m. we will be holding an auction to raise the money.
- To reach this goal, we have decided to hold a bike-a-thon and invite the whole community to participate.
- We are writing this letter to ask for volunteers to help us in our fundraising campaign.
- This letter is to ask for your support in raising these funds.
- That is why we are writing this letter--to ask you, as a member of our community, to make a donation to our cause.
- We have asked that the students, with the help of their parents, participate in a fundraising campaign where they will sell pizzas and other food items in order to raise the money.
- So, next week, volunteers will be calling alumni and former faculty in order to raise money for the equipment and supplies.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- holding an auction
- sending letters to businesses
- mailing donation letters to members of the community
- holding a special fundraising event
- doing a special performance
- calling individuals to ask that
- special night of entertainment
- putting on a carnival
- selling tickets to
- bake sale
- inviting citizens to
- asking that neighborhoods
- proceeds from the rummage sale
- selling pizzas to raise
- holding a walk-a-thon
- doing a car wash
- calling alumni and former faculty
3 Tell how the new equipment or supplies will benefit the students, faculty, or the larger community.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- The new software will allow us to increase the number of computer classes we are able to offer.
- By adding a football team, we will give more students the chance to participate in the athletic program and to develop important team-building and other skills.
- The new sets and costumes will be used by the drama club, and all those who participate in the school plays and musicals, for years to come.
- The new desks and other classroom equipment have been long overdue, and the new furnishings will better promote an atmosphere of learning.
- Repainting the classrooms and lockers with the school colors will promote school pride and will improve the students' spirits.
- The additional classrooms will allow us to accommodate the growing number of applicants we have each year.
- The new books will greatly enhance the students' academic experience because they will have many more updated resources at their fingertips.
- With the additional computers, many more students will be able to do Internet research, type papers, and learn new software.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- equipment will be used to
- new computers will allow us to
- additional books will supply
- additional classrooms to accommodate the growing number
- give students the opportunity to
- never before able to
- allow more students to
- new desks and chairs for each
- expand the number of available clubs
- provide a better environment
- better promote learning
- will improve the safety of
- increase the number of students that
- better education for our students
- offer an after-school program
- will be available for use by students and community members
- enable faculty to
- for students and other interested individuals
- a benefit to all members of the community
- provide recreation for
4 Be sure to emphasize important deadlines.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- The fundraising campaign will begin next Monday, so be sure to mark your calendars so that your children won't forget.
- The auction will begin promptly at 9 a.m. on Saturday, April 10, so don't be late!
- Please remind your student that all money raised should be turned in no later than Friday, October 27.
- The walkathon will begin at 7 a.m. on Saturday, September 30.
- The night of the dinner is November 15 at 7 p.m. in the Community Center, so plan to attend this fun and worthwhile event!
- If you are going to be able to participate in the fundraising campaign, please let us know by this Friday, March 2.
- Remember, all donations should be delivered to the school by Thursday, May 25.
- Our volunteers will be making the calls next week, so expect to hear from them then.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- will begin our fundraiser on
- beginning Tuesday, March 13
- all money must be received by
- donations should be collected by
- turn in all money received by
- last day of the fundraiser is
- performance will begin at 7 p.m.
- auction will start at 9 a.m.
- fundraiser will be held Friday, November 5
- beginning next week
- every day next week
- please have all donations
- please mark your calendars
- no later than Monday, June 5
- before Friday, April 20 at 3 p.m.
- every Friday next month
5 Reiterate your hope that the students and parents will participate in the fundraising event.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- hope that you will be able to
- hope you can attend
- looking forward to your support
- grateful for your past support
- counting on you to
- inviting all
- hoping for a large turn-out
- everyone can take part
- wish to involve everyone
- counting on the support of
- help us make this a success
- have appreciated all of your
- know we can't do this without
- need the support of people like
- wouldn't be able to
- know that together we can
- make a big difference to
- very grateful for all
- thank all those who
- truly appreciative of the
- thankful for the many
- We are looking forward to seeing you at the walkathon.
- We know we wouldn't be able to have an athletic program without the generous contributions of people like you. Please donate today to help us keep this program strong.
- I know you want the best education possible for your child, so I hope you'll participate in our fundraising auction next Friday to help us raise money to expand our school library.
- We truly appreciate the support that all of you parents give to this school every year. We hope you will continue to show that spirit of service by participating in our fundraiser next month.
- Your donation to help us purchase new computers can truly make a difference in a child's life, so please send in your donation today.
- Mr. and Mrs. Cosby, we are grateful for the financial support you have given over the years. We hope you will feel compelled to aid us once again.