Example Letter #1
The other night, as I was on my way out of a neighborhood restaurant, I picked up a brochure about your organization and your current fundraising campaign. I'd heard of (Name of Organization) before, but the brochure helped me understand the importance of the services you provide to the hungry and homeless within our community. I deeply admire the compassion and commitment underlying the mission of (Name of Organization), and because I fully support your current intention to construct a new shelter and food kitchen in the (Name of Neighborhood) neighborhood of our city, I am enclosing a monetary donation of (Amount).
There is no need to acknowledge my donation on public documents or other materials. I am happy simply to contribute to such a necessary and meaningful endeavor.
Thank you for all that you do.
Example Letter #2
When our son was diagnosed with leukemia two years ago, our whole family was amazed by the help we received from your organization. We called to ask for information and were deeply moved by the wealth of caring and support you gave us at such a difficult time for our family.
It is with deep gratitude that we are sending you the enclosed check for $5,000 now, in the hope that you will be able to use it to further the great work you are doing. Our son passed away last month, and it is our hope that this donation will play a small part in helping to overcome this terrible disease.
Thank you again for your help.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 State the purpose for which you are sending the donation (especially if it is not in direct response to a specific petition for funds from the group or organization).
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Our family has been a longtime supporter of your foundation.
- In September, our dear mother passed away. It was her wish that all the proceeds from her estate be donated to your organization.
- Several months ago I received a letter from your organization requesting donations for your program. I am now in a position where I can contribute to that cause.
- In light of the recent natural disasters that have struck your area of the country, I am sure that the enclosed amount is very much needed as you work to help the families that have been devastated by their effects.
- My husband and I would like to set up a foundation in our name to give financial aid to deserving students of the university.
- Our company has long supported the ideals you espouse, and we would like to show that support by making a sizable donation to your organization.
- Though I know the enclosed amount is not great, I wholeheartedly endorse the work you do, and I would like to make a contribution to your cause.
- The enclosed donation is in response to your recent letter requesting funds for the Downtown Revitalization Project.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- has always been a big supporter of
- know that the work you do
- wanted to make a contribution
- the cause you support
- appreciate the work you do
- my father always supported the work
- would like to make a special contribution
- because of the current situation in
- understand that there is a great need
- sure that there is an increased demand
- in response to your petition for additional funding
- several weeks ago I received a letter
- now in a position to be able to make a donation
- would like to be an active supporter of
- as I was going through some old mail
- came across a letter from your organization
- recent natural disasters have
- make a donation in the name of
- donate on behalf of
- making this donation in honor of
- grandmother has asked that
- our family would like to donate
- on behalf of our company
- make a corporate donation
- support what you stand for
- happy to aid in your cause
- wish to help in the work that
- want to take part
- my children would like to help
2 Indicate the amount you are contributing.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- To show our support, we have enclosed a check for $5000--a heartfelt gift to your organization.
- Therefore, we are happy to make this donation of $200 to the foundation.
- We have set up a trust in the family name to make an annual donation to your foundation in the amount of $20,000.
- In addition to the amount enclosed, I would like to make a monthly donation to your organization in the amount of $100.
- Please accept this donation of $10,000 as a measure of our appreciation for the great good you have accomplished in our community.
- Accordingly, we would like to make a $500,000 donation in the name of Martha Lynn Petersen.
- I know it is not much, but I hope this $20 donation will help you in your work.
- Because we appreciate your tireless efforts in this community, we would like to make a semiannual contribution of $25,000.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- would like to make a donation of
- enclosed you will find a check for
- would like to contribute $5000 in the name of
- happy to make this donation of $200
- $20,000 to be donated to the Richmond Fund
- make an annual contribution of $1000
- will send a monthly donation of $50
- please accept this donation of $100
- accept this check for $500
- have included a check for
- hope you will accept this donation
3 Describe any restrictions on the use of the funds.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- The enclosed amount should be used specifically for research to find a cure for the above-named disease.
- If you could use the money expressly for the purpose mentioned above, we would truly appreciate it.
- We expect that the entire amount of the donation will go directly to help abused women and children in our city.
- If possible, please use this donation specifically to aid in the relief effort for the victims of the recent flooding.
- All she asked in return is that you keep her name confidential.
- Please use the enclosed funds specifically for hurricane victims in our own area.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- please use the money for
- would appreciate it if
- used directly to aid the people in
- to be used specifically for
- to aid in the research
- please use this donation specifically to help
- expect that the entire amount of the donation will go to
- see that this money goes to
- hope you will use these funds to
- please do not
- money goes directly to
4 Indicate whether or not you would like to receive recognition for the contribution.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- Please indicate that the enclosed funds came from an anonymous donor.
- If you could include our family name in your list of donors, we would appreciate it.
- We do not expect any public recognition for our contribution.
- If you could indicate that the enclosed donation was made on behalf of our parents, Jesse and Carol Christensen, we would be much obliged.
- We would be grateful if you would include our names in your quarterly newsletter.
- We would be very pleased to see our names added to your wall of contributors.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- please make the donation in the name of
- would be pleased if our names were
- please do not include our names
- don't expect any recognition for
- please do not publicly recognize
- would prefer to keep our donation anonymous
- prefer to remain anonymous
- include our names in your newsletter
- include our company name on your donor plaque
- expect no recognition
- need no recognition
- could make the donation on behalf of
- hope you'll include our family name
- grateful if you would mention
- may mention our names if you like
- if you prefer, you may add our names to
5 Close by telling the organization that you are grateful for the work they do, by wishing them continued success in their efforts, or by reiterating your reason for sending the gift.
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- Again, we truly appreciate the work you do in our community.
- We are proud to be actively helping you in your work of saving lives.
- I am glad for this opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to our community.
- I look forward to hearing about your latest accomplishments.
- We wish you every success in your continued efforts.
- We have been long supporters of your work.
- May you be blessed and prospered as you continue on in this great cause.
- We hope this modest contribution will help you in your fight against hunger in our area.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- appreciate the work you do
- the good that your organization
- appreciate your efforts to
- wish you every success
- hope that you will accomplish
- grateful for your accomplishments
- proud to be a contributor to
- know that our father would
- truly supported the work you do
- make a difference in the lives of
- able to help those in need
- provide opportunities for
- have a part in the important work
- glad to be a part of such a worthwhile
- happy to support the cause
- help out those in the community
- express our appreciation of your tireless efforts
- able to complete your worthwhile goals
- sure that my grandmother is very pleased
- parents would be very happy to know
- loyal supporters of the cause you espouse
- want you to know that
- actively engaged in a cause that
- for many years we have