Ask For Regular Monthly Donations • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
This letter is generally for donors who give fairly modest contributions. You will probably want to reserve other donor letters for your high-dollar donors (special needs, yearly contributions, and so forth). As you write your letter, make sure you don't make the cause sound hopeless, just because there is a continued need for financial support.
How to write this fundraising letter:
- Thank the donor for his/her previous donation(s) to your organization.
- Reiterate the important cause(s) the giver has contributed to and the need for continued funds to aid in the work. Explain the benefits that can come from such donations.
- Invite the reader to become part of a special group of donors who contribute monthly to your organization.
- Explain to the donor the benefits of being part of the group of monthly contributors.
- Explain to the donor that he/she can later change the contribution amount, or cease giving altogether, if necessary.
- Ask that a specific amount of money be contributed each month, but also include a range of giving amounts appropriate to the giver's previous level of donation(s).
- Thank the donor again for his/her support of your organization.
Example Letter #1
Your donation to last year's fundraising drive greatly contributed to our ability to support the essential programs that we provide for the homeless and hungry of our city. We thank you. As you know, each dollar donated to (Name of Organization) goes directly into services and resources for our target population. The funds earned through last year's drive helped to support the many good programs in operation. However, with this new year, we are once again looking to our supporters for further commitment to our cause.
We are writing today, therefore, to ask you to consider joining the group of our most devoted supporters by signing up to make a monthly donation of (Amount) throughout the next year. With this donation, you would become an official member of (Name of Organization), and thus you would receive our monthly newsletter and invitations to special events and gatherings. If the above amount is not possible, however, we would of course warmly welcome any monthly donation at the level of your choosing.
We greatly appreciate your support, and we hope to hear from you soon.
Example Letter #2
Your love of animals shines through the kind support you have given us these past few years, and we are very grateful. We are sure that if they could understand, the unwanted pets whose lives you have saved would want to thank you too. Many of them are now in happy homes because of your generosity.
Anyone who has ever prepared a household budget knows how valuable it is to be able to rely on a regular monthly income, and that is why we are turning to you now. Would it be possible for you to make a small donation every month to keep our shelter going? We would appreciate $10 or $15 per month, but whatever you can afford would be helpful. What is important is that we could count on your donation. Our cats and dogs and other animals need to be cared for every day of the year. With regular monthly donors, we will never have to worry about where their next meal is coming from.
There are several convenient ways to set up your monthly contribution and to change the amount or cancel it in the future if need be, all of which are detailed on the enclosed form. If you are not able to donate to us monthly at this time, please be assured that whatever support you can offer us is very much appreciated.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Thank the donor for his/her previous donation(s) to your organization.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Susan, we want to sincerely thank you for your previous donations to our cause.
- Once again, we want to thank you for donating to the Giving Foundation. We know how important new donors like you are to our organization.
- Over the last couple of years, you have shown through your repeated giving that you truly support the work we do.
- We just wanted to write a letter thanking you for your past donations.
- It is because of donors like you, Mary and John, that we are able to serve the people of this community so tirelessly.
- Your donations, though modest, help us to do a very special work, and we truly thank you for them.
- You have helped us over the years by contributing to many of our fund drives, and we really appreciate it.
- Your continued support has helped make it possible for us to continue our work here in this community.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- want to express our sincere appreciation
- very grateful for the contributions you have made
- so appreciative of donors like you
- because of donors like you
- able to do a great work
- want to thank you for your initial donation
- appreciate the importance you have given our organization
- so thankful that you trust our organization with your hard-earned money
- express our appreciation for your thoughtful contribution
- express our gratitude for your timely donation
- truly thankful you have decided to
- know that there are many causes you could support
- deeply gratified to receive your gift
- have become a valued supporter
- thank you for your previous donations
- very much appreciate your willingness to
- always ready to contribute
- have helped to make it possible
- showed that you truly support
- a true advocate of the cause
- contributed to so many worthwhile efforts
- had a part in many of our
- played an important role
2 Reiterate the important cause(s) the giver has contributed to and the need for continued funds to aid in the work. Explain the benefits that can come from such donations.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Last year, you helped us to provide more than 10,000 Thanksgiving dinners to the less fortunate in our community.
- With your help, we were able to provide the gift of literacy last year to more than 3,000 boys and girls.
- Earlier this year, your donation helped us to build a modest home for the Jensen family. But there are so many more deserving families right here in our community that would never be able to purchase a home on their own.
- With your contribution from last spring, along with that of many others, we were able to purchase some much-needed medical equipment to provide basic health care for people in developing countries. This year, we would like to expand that effort even further.
- Through the generous contributions of the people in this community, we were able to provide relief to many of the hurricane victims in our area. Yet there is so much more we can do.
- Because of the support of people like you, we are able to help many individuals in our city. This year, however, for the first time we have to turn people away because we simply do not have the funds to meet the current need.
- The continued support of our donors makes it possible for us to meet the ongoing needs of the youth in our community.
- Like Suzie, there are so many more children that need your help.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- so many that are in need
- must find a cure for this life-threatening disease
- many more that still need help
- help us to put food on the tables of
- share the wonderful blessing of literacy
- continued funding to allow us to
- need continued support from people like you to
- without steady donations, our city's arts program
- allow us to fund our orchestra and community choir
- there are so many more people just like
- continue our important work through the contributions
- though we were able to meet the immediate demands, there is so much more that
- continued financial support makes it possible for us to
- wouldn't be able to accomplish
- still so much more that our organization
- don't want to have to turn anyone away
3 Invite the reader to become part of a special group of donors who contribute monthly to your organization.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- To meet these continued needs, we have set up a special program composed of a group of individuals who contribute monthly to a special fund.
- To help us meet these ongoing demands, we would like to invite you to be a part of our Gift of Giving Club, whose members donate a modest contribution each month to the foundation.
- That's why we are asking you, Jack, to be a part of our Founders' Circle by making a regular monthly donation to our organization.
- We're asking you to be a part of a special group of donors that make it possible for us to perform a very special work.
- As a member of the President's Club, you'll donate monthly to a special fund that will be used specifically for people just like the Martinez family.
- We hope you will want to have a continued role in aiding victims of natural disasters in our community (and throughout the nation) by making a monthly donation.
- I hope you will want to continue giving by becoming a member of our Golden Givers' Club and pledging to make a modest monthly contribution to our cause.
- Individuals in our Save the Wildlife Club, who make a monthly contribution to our organization to help us to meet special needs that would otherwise be left undone, contributed enough money last year to allow us to purchase an additional fifty acres of land for our latest conservation project.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- monthly contributions from people like you
- our Dolphin's Circle donors permit us to do a very special work
- your monthly contributions, though modest, will allow us to
- would like to ask you
- want to invite you to take part
- the Premier Donors' Club makes it possible for us to
- have selected you to
- would you be willing to
- be a member of a special group
- part of our President's Circle
- member of the Wetlands Preservation Committee
- hope you will join the very special
- take an active role by
- continue your contribution to this great work
- make an important contribution by
- each month, you'll receive a monthly statement
- need people like you to join our Founders' Club
- want to ask that you consider being a member of
- show your continued support of our cause by
- continue to support this worthwhile cause
- with your continued support
- monthly donations make it possible for
- take part in a select group of donors
4 Explain to the donor the benefits of being part of the group of monthly contributors.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- As a member of the club, we'll send to you each month a newsletter highlighting our organization's latest activities and successes.
- There are many benefits of joining this group, not the least of which is the knowledge you'll have that you are part of something much bigger than yourself.
- And as a token of our appreciation for your contribution to our organization, we will send to you the beautiful wall calendar shown on the next page--absolutely free.
- Also, remember that your contributions are 100 percent tax-deductible.
- As a member, we'll send you frequent updates about our organization, in addition to our beautiful quarterly magazine.
- All club members are invited, free of charge, to the special events we host throughout the year.
- The most important benefit, of course, is the feeling you'll get knowing that you help in a significant way to make this program a success.
- You'll be part of a powerful force for good, as one of more than 100,000 members nationally.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- many benefits you will receive
- receive monthly updates
- will keep you informed of the
- receive a monthly newsletter
- send you a monthly letter
- remember that your contributions are completely tax-deductible
- monthly contributions will be used to
- fulfill a special need
- send you frequent updates
- include a monthly reminder
- know that you're making a big difference to
- belong to a group of more than
- part of something bigger than yourself
- receive our quarterly magazine
- keep you aware of special events
- know that you are helping to make possible
- your regular contributions will
- as a token of our appreciation
- hope you'll accept this free gift
- invite you to a special recognition dinner
5 Explain to the donor that he/she can later change the contribution amount, or cease giving altogether, if necessary.
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- Of course, you are under no obligation.
- As a monthly contributor, you can change your donation amount at any time. Simply let us know by calling or by indicating the change on the current month's invoice.
- Feel free to change your contribution amount at any time, or to cease giving altogether, if necessary.
- Though we hope you will be a long-time member of the Circle, we understand that circumstances can change.
- If you would like to change the amount of your contribution at any time, simply let us know.
- You can increase or decrease your monetary gift at any time if needed by simply informing us of the change.
- If anything comes up to change your current situation, please let us know. We would be happy to change your contribution amount.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- though we hope you'll be a longtime member
- of course you are under no obligation
- you can change your contribution amount
- no obligation to continue
- adjust your payment amount to
- if your circumstances change
- if something comes up and you are no longer able to
- feel free to adjust your contribution amount if needed
- under no obligation to continue
- understand that sometimes
- can change the amount of your donation
- can increase or decrease your monthly gift if needed
6 Ask that a specific amount of money be contributed each month, but also include a range of giving amounts appropriate to the giver's previous level of donation(s).
Sample Sentences for Step 6
- Would you be willing to make a monthly donation of $35?
- If $75 is not a realistic amount at this time, would you consider donating $50 or $60, instead?
- All we ask is that you give the equivalent of $1 a day. Would you be willing to contribute $30 a month to our cause?
- We know you have many other financial obligations, but could you donate just $25 a month to help us fight illiteracy in our area?
- If you are not able to contribute $50, could you give a monthly donation of $30 or $40, instead?
- As a member of the club, we ask you to contribute just $10 a week. But if that amount is not possible at this time, could you perhaps give $5 a week (only $20 a month), instead?
- For as little as $15 a month, we can provide three meals a day for a hungry family.
- We are asking you to contribute a monthly donation of $50.
Sample Phrases for Step 6
- ask that you contribute
- hope you can give
- could donate $25 per month
- only $20 a month
- your monthly contribution of just $15
- consider giving $25, $15, or even just $10
- for only $30 each month
- ask that you give just $1 a day to help us
- contribute as little as
- if $30 is too much right now, would you consider giving
- we're asking that you give only
- please contribute $25 each month so that
- for as little as 50 cents per day we can
- if you can't give $20, would you be willing to give $10 or $15
- asking for a donation of
- for far less than the price of a cup of coffee
- with only $15 a month we can purchase 10 meals for a family in
- $30 will buy three books for a child
7 Thank the donor again for his/her support of your organization.
Sample Sentences for Step 7
- We truly appreciate your support to our organization in the past, and we hope you will be able to help us again.
- I wish to thank you for your previous contributions to our organization. I hope you will find it in your heart to be a monthly donor.
- Once again, we want to thank you for being a member of our foundation.
- Thank you again for your continued support.
- I want to personally thank you for your family's donations in the past. They mean a lot to our organization.
- We want to thank you for your previous contributions to our cause, and hope that you will feel compelled to take part in this special donors' program.
- May I express my gratitude for your past support, and my hope that you will continue to support the foundation in any way you can.
- Because of donors like you, we are able to do a very special work. We would never be able to accomplish our mission without you. Thank you so much!
Sample Phrases for Step 7
- again, we are very grateful for
- want to thank you again for your past
- your past contributions have made it possible
- very much appreciate your willingness to
- appreciate your past support of our organization
- thankful for your continued support
- wish to thank you for
- express our appreciation for all that
- truly thankful for
- once again, thank you very much
- express our gratitude to your company
- thank your organization for their previous support