Example Letter #1
Once again, our biannual benefit brunch is upon us. As you know, the money raised through the entrance fee for this event will provide significant support for our upcoming programs and planning. This year's programs are more ambitious than the programs of previous years, however, so it's extra important for the event to be a clear success.
Many preparations have already been made to ensure a strong turnout and a joyous and memorable experience for the participants. For example, this year's event will take place at the beautiful (Name of Location) and will feature the delicious breakfast cuisine and pastries of (Name of Chef or Restaurant). To further enhance the occasion for the most generous of our supporters, we also plan to organize an appreciation ceremony at the height of the event. For each such supporter, we would like to provide a special prize.
We are writing today, therefore, to ask you to contribute to our pool of prizes. In particular, we would like to offer prizes that demonstrate the many talents of our members. If you are an artist, for example, we would love to include one of your paintings or sculptures as a prize. Services are also highly desired. For example, if you are a talented masseuse, or if you can offer translation services, a commitment of twenty or thirty minutes of your time would make a wonderful contribution.
Whatever your particular talent or interest, please contact us before (Date) to state your support and ideas. With your help, this benefit brunch could exceed everybody's expectations.
Example Letter #2
We will be holding our Springfield Elementary School Carnival on September 30. This carnival raises funds for all of our school reading programs--the Read-a-thon, Dads and Donuts, Moms and Muffins, Family Read Aloud Time, Read to a Teddy Bear, and our annual Storytelling Festival.
As one of the carnival activities, we will be asking the children to come dressed as their favorite story book character, and we would like to give prizes for the most original and thoughtful costumes. We invite you to provide those prizes.
We will need twelve prizes: two for boys and two for girls in the kindergarten to 1st grade, 2nd to 3rd grade, and 4th to 5th grade age groups. Books or educational toys would be wonderful. We will need to have the prizes by September 25.
We will, of course, be happy to announce during the event that your company donated the prizes!
Please know that your generosity would be very much appreciated. I will call you early next week to confirm whether you will be able to help us make this carnival a success.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Tell why the fundraiser is necessary, and explain what the money raised during the fundraiser will be used for.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- You are undoubtedly aware of the fact that our local hospital is long overdue for a substantial renovation.
- Over the last few years, the number of requests for our aid has surpassed our present ability to provide assistance.
- We would like to raise additional funds to increase the number of animals that we are able to care for.
- As you know, the number of homeless people in our community continues to increase, and we hope to be able to raise enough money to begin to meet those increased needs.
- To show our commitment to this cause, we have pledged to raise $10,000, all of which will go directly to the crisis center.
- With the additional funds we hope to raise, we plan to expand our program to encompass not only other cities in the county, but throughout the state as well.
- You are probably not aware of the great need that exists within our community, but last year alone more than 20,000 people in our city regularly went without adequate food. In order to reverse this plight, we have set a goal to raise $100,000 to be donated directly to the local food bank and to soup kitchens within the area.
- The money we bring in from this special fundraiser will go directly to purchasing books to be used in our international literacy program.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- in order to
- raise money for
- great need for
- hope to accomplish
- allow us to
- be able to purchase
- used for
- fund medical research
- provide much-needed
- in need of
- desperately need
- provide housing for more than
- 100 percent of the proceeds
- all money raised
- help to relieve
- enable us to serve
- save more than 500 animals
- give us the opportunity
- provide us with
- allow us to expand our program
- provide aid for more people
2 Describe the items that are being requested as prizes.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- As an added perk, we plan to offer a number of prizes that can be won by those who participate.
- Could you help us by providing a small door prize that we could give out at the fundraiser?
- If possible, we would like you to donate a small but useful item of your choice that we could use to give as gifts to those who arrive early to the event.
- We are asking that local businesses contribute inexpensive items that can be given away to individuals who participate in the fundraising auction.
- If you could provide about 20 radios, watches, portable CD players, or other relatively inexpensive items, we would truly appreciate it.
- To help make this fundraiser a success, we are inviting parents to contribute one or two items that can be raffled during the telethon.
- We are writing to ask that your company donate gift certificates that can be given as prizes to those who participate in the walkathon.
- If you are not able to provide gift certificates at this time, we would be happy to accept other items that you would be able to donate.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- could provide us with
- hoping you could
- asking that you
- hope you will be able to
- in need of
- small electronics, gift certificates, tools, etc.
- any of the
- willing to contribute
- asking for donations of
- could you donate
- looking for donations of
- modest door prizes
- willing to accept
3 Tell how the prizes are to be collected.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- If you are able to donate prizes for the event, please contact us so that we may come by and pick them up.
- We would be happy to come by your office and collect the items that you are able to donate.
- If possible, please bring to our main office all items to be used as prizes.
- If you could deliver the donated items to us, we would truly appreciate it.
- Please contact us so that we can come by and collect the items you wish to donate.
- Call us by Friday if you are able to participate, and we will arrange the delivery or pickup of the items.
- If you are able to provide gift certificates, please send them to us at our address indicated above.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- will come by
- if you could deliver
- if you could send
- happy to pick up
- ready to collect
- swing by your office
- send my assistant
- come personally and
- in person
- will send a runner
- please bring all prizes to
- day before the event
4 Indicate a date by which the prizes must be received.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- If you could have the prizes delivered to us no later than next Wednesday, March 20, we would really appreciate it.
- Please send donated items by Friday, October 3, so that we may have them in time to use for the event.
- We are planning to collect the items next Thursday (the day before the event), so if you could have the items ready at that time, we would be very grateful.
- We would be happy to stop by any afternoon next week to collect the items.
- In order to facilitate our efforts, please have the prize items ready for pickup by next Tuesday afternoon.
- If you are able to help us by donating items for our auction, please call us no later than next Friday, May 31, so that we can coordinate a time to pick them up.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- if you could
- by the 13th
- no later than
- the week of
- by Friday, December 23rd
- any day this week
- will be making stops
- collecting donations
- can drop by
- could deliver to us
- would be happy to
- any time before
- end of the month
- any morning before
5 Thank your readers for their time (and past support), and reiterate your hope that they will contribute to the fundraising event.
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- We are very grateful for the support you have given us in the past, and we hope you will be able to assist us in our request.
- We want to thank you for your time, and we hope you will be to help us in this effort.
- Thank you for taking the time to read our request. We hope to hear from you soon.
- We understand you have many demands on your time and resources, and we want to thank you for the loyal support you have given us in the past.
- I hope you feel compelled, as I do, to aid in this cause and make this fundraiser a success.
- If you feel you can help us, please let us know. We look forward to hearing from you.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- want to sincerely thank you
- would very much appreciate
- hope that you can
- sincerely wish that
- look forward to
- greatly appreciate
- very grateful for
- truly thankful
- very appreciative of
- anxiously awaiting
- hope to hear from
- will be able to aid
- able to contribute