Example Letter #1
Please note that the limitation of "one per customer" on our bulk oil sale advertisement is a misprint. We apologize for this error and encourage you to take advantage of this once-a-year sales event to stock up for the year. We are pleased to offer all premium oils at the same low price as last year, but remind you that the offer will end on April 30.
Thank you for your patronage. We enjoy being your one-stop store for all your automotive needs. You have a problem? We have the solution.
Example Letter #2
Please note that our spring sale insert delivered with Tuesday's newspaper contains an unfortunate misprint. The sale price for the five-piece set of lawn furniture is $400, not $100. This lovely set is built to last for years and is a bargain at this price. We invite you to take advantage of all our low sale prices during the month of April. The first ten customers to purchase this lawn furniture will receive a 10% discount on their total purchase. We hope to see you early Tuesday morning.
Example Letter #3
Our Fall Sale flyer contains an error. On page 14 the photograph illustrating the "Walfield Wedge" downhill skis on sale at $200 actually shows last year's model. The '97 model Wedge has better graphics and a big sidecut for carving effortless turns in all snow conditions. It also incorporates a new core technology for better action in the bumps and lighter weight on the lifts. Don't let this unfortunate misprint keep you from buying these skis at this rare preseason sale price!
Example Letter #4
Please accept our apologies for the misprint in the memo announcing our office Christmas party. Our party will be held Friday, December 17, not Saturday. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause anyone and hope that you will still be able to attend. All of the other information about time and place is correct. We look forward to seeing you and sharing the spirit of the holidays together.
Example Letter #5
We're sorry we can't rent our New Release videos for 9 cents! We are, however, reducing our price on all regular videos to 90 cents. At that price, we're now the lowest in town--all week long. We appreciate your business and hope to see you soon.
Example Letter #6
The in-store discount coupon you recently received states that it "may be used on any merchandise in the store." It should read, "may be used on any non-sale merchandise in the store." Our sale prices are already so low we don't dare reduce them further!
Your coupon lets you decide what regular merchandise you wish to purchase at sale prices. Join us next week for the Sale of the Century. Bring your coupon and receive free hot dogs and drinks for yourself and your immediate family members.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Inform the reader of the error.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We know our prices are low, but this is ridiculous! The deluxe office chair, #F465 on page 16 of our October catalog, sells for $290, not for $29. Please note the correct price.
- A gremlin appears to have crept into the printer's press along with our latest catalog. No less than three of our item numbers have been printed incorrectly. We have detailed these items on the enclosed self-stick note, for your convenience.
- The flier we sent you about the Doe compressor contained an error. The price, as of November 1, is $4,444. The new catalog, which you will receive by the end of next week, shows the current price. If you would like to change your order, please call Jane at 555-5555.
- I am sorry. I really blew it. The flier I sent to tell you about my new address had the wrong telephone number! The new number is 555-5555.
- With respect to our bid #233 titled "Extension to Springfield Middle School Buildings," we must inform you that there are several misprints in the quotation. These are detailed below. This letter must be regarded as an addendum to the bid. We are unable to honor the prices and conditions contained in the original document.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a case of Murphy's Law in operation
- a typographical error in
- have doubtless already noticed that
- an error seems to have cropped up
- apologize for the error in
- apologize for any inconvenience you may incur
- are unable to honor the prices and conditions listed in
- as described in the original
- errors are detailed on the enclosed
- had the wrong telephone number
- has caused a number of errors in
- have been printed incorrectly
- have marked the offending
- have marked the problem spots
- information was incorrect
- is a printing error in
- misprinted the price
- must inform you about the error in
- new price went into effect on
- number of misprints in our latest catalog
- price should be $450.08, not $45.08
- regret that the information we sent you contained an error
- the sale price is actually
- there are a number of grammatical errors in
- there are several misprints in
- was an error in our
- with respect to our bid #222
2 Make a sales pitch for your product or service, if appropriate.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- We are sure you will recognize that at $290 this chair represents extraordinary value. The soft leather upholstery, together with its adjustable back, would be a bargain at $390.
- The whole catalog, our best ever, is packed with excellent values.
- Our workers, however, are on the ball, so even if you use the misprinted numbers, they will ensure that you receive the correct product in each case. Just include the prices given in the space provided on the order form.
- Although our prices must fluctuate with the market and with exchange rates (if they didn't we would know that we were charging too much), we are proud of the unbeatable values that Doe offers.
- We are confident that our bid remains competitive, and trust that it will be satisfactory to you.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- although not quite as low as the misprint indicates
- am sure you will agree that
- are sure you will recognize the value of
- are confident that our bid remains competitive
- challenge you to find a better price
- come see for yourself
- comparable in quality and convenience
- convenient, yet durable product
- even though the catalog numbers were mixed up
- even if you already placed your order
- guarantee your satisfaction
- have slashed the prices of our
- have unbeatable values
- is well worth the price
- is still a wonderful bargain
- one of our most sought-after products
- one of our most popular items
- our workers, however, are on the ball
- our best ever sale
- prices have been reduced to record lows
- prices are lower than ever
- prices must fluctuate with the market and
- represents an extraordinary value
- savings in every department
- simply include the prices given
- the entire value-packed catalog
- throughout the entire
- will not be disappointed in your new
- will find excellent savings
- will ensure that you receive the correct product
- would never charge such an outrageous price
- would still be a bargain at
3 Express regret and/or appreciation.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Thanks for your understanding.
- We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.
- You are a valued customer and we hope that our error will not cause you any inconvenience.
- I look forward to receiving your call.
- We do apologize for the inconvenience, and look forward to hearing from you.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- always value your patronage
- apologize for the inconvenience
- appreciate your keen eye
- appreciate your patience
- are always willing to
- are a valued customer
- are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause
- are glad you noticed the
- can make the necessary adjustments
- continue to watch out for our unbeatable values
- don't hesitate to call
- for your patronage
- for your understanding
- for shopping at our store
- for your patience
- enjoy serving you
- hope this error will not cause you inconvenience
- if you wish to change your order
- if you find any more misprints
- is extremely embarrassing for us
- look forward to
- please fax a revised copy of
- please forgive us for
- please make a note of the correction
- regret having caused this inconvenience
- sometimes amaze ourselves
- such errors are fortunately rare
- thank you for
- to hearing from you
- to receiving your call
- try to avoid such errors
- unfortunately, such things happen
- value our business relationship
- will double-check our information in the fortune