Example Letter #1
Having learned of the call for nominations for this year's (Name of Award), I am writing today to endorse a highly suitable individual, (Name of Nominee). In many ways exceeding the challenging requirements and expectations for the award, (Name of Nominee)'s ambitions, intelligence, and accomplishments complement precisely the stellar community of past recipients and make her highly deserving of the honor and opportunity bestowed by the (Name of Award). To further support this nomination, I would be pleased to express in more detail my personal insights into (Name of Nominee)'s unique talents and qualifications, and I would welcome the opportunity to mention additional contacts who would be willing to express their support of the nominee. Please feel free to contact me at any time.
Example Letter #2
I am pleased to nominate Jane Doe for the Employee of the Year Award. I have known and worked with Jane for ten years and have always found her dependable, efficient, and unfailingly punctual. In fact, I have never worked with a person who gives as much attention to detail as she does. Also, her willingness to take on difficult projects like the Doe proposals and see them to successful completion has repeatedly impressed me over the years.
Her skills do not end with her office work. She also projects a warm, cheerful attitude to our clients. I have seen her resolve conflicts and handle other difficult situations with remarkable patience and admirable tact. In the community she goes out of her way to help people in need by organizing charity drives each December and singing with the city choir. She loves people, works hard, and always tries to lift the spirits of those around her. I believe these characteristics represent all that is good in our company, and I am pleased to nominate her for the honor of Employee of the Year.
Example Letter #3
I wish to nominate Jane Doe, a friend and colleague of more than ten years, for the Caretaker of the Year Award. Jane and I work together on many fund-raising events each year and she never ceases to impress me. She is easily the most compassionate person I know--the kind of person who goes out of her way to help the less fortunate every day. When she is not caring for her family, she devotes time to various civic organizations, including the City Cupboard, the Rape Crisis Center, and the Springfield Center for the Homeless. I can think of no one more deserving of this award than Jane Doe.
Example Letter #4
I have been asked to nominate the candidate who has, in my opinion, accomplished more than any others in our research field and is deserving of the Outstanding Humanitarian Award. Without hesitation, I choose Dr. John Doe for that honor.
Dr. Doe began making contributions toward understanding communicable diseases when he was still studying for his doctorate degree and he continues twenty years later with the publication of his recent book summarizing his theory on virus mutation.
I had the honor of working with Dr. Doe at the Center for Communicable Disease for two years. During that period, I developed enormous respect for his dedication to the center's work. I also became acutely aware of his great knowledge and skills as well as the endless hours he worked in a determination to help humanity in its struggle against disease.
It has been a privilege to know this brilliant and dedicated scientist and humanitarian. I nominate him and ask that you please call on me if I can further assist you in this regard.
Example Letter #5
It is my pleasure to recommend Jane Doe for the Sales Executive Award. As head of the Sales Division, I have seen Jane rise from the level of Junior Representative to her present position in a short five years. Jane works tirelessly to update her knowledge of our products--and of the competition's products as well. As an Account Representative, she averaged a new account every month, the highest average in the company. As a Sales Executive, she has been effective at teaching her skills to her five Account Representatives. Their averages are now the highest of any group in our division.
I feel confident that you will agree that Jane Doe is the most deserving candidate for this award. Please feel free to contact me for any additional information you may require.
Example Letter #6
Many local heroes go unnoticed. Here's your chance to do something nice. Submit the name of a person who should be recognized for his or her outstanding contributions to the community.
Nominate that person for the "Citizen of the Year Award" by filling out the enclosed reply card and returning it to us by April 3.
Our judges will select the final winner from the submissions. The winner will be announced May 25 at the Rotary luncheon.
Thanks for helping us recognize outstanding citizens in our community. We hope to see you at Rotary.
Example Letter #7
Doe Products strives to exceed your expectations in service and support. We request that you please take a few minutes to complete the enclosed short survey to evaluate our performance.
Your opinions and feedback are an integral part in helping us determine how we can better serve you.
Thank you in advance for your time and comments.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Identify the person you are endorsing and the award for which he or she is a candidate.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I hereby endorse John Doe as a candidate for the Salesperson of the Year Award.
- I wish to nominate my friend and colleague, Jane Doe, for the annual American Mechanical Engineer Award.
- I would like to endorse Jane Doe for the Springfield Community Service Award.
- Because of Jane Doe's long-term commitment to the viability of Springfield as a manufacturing, agricultural, and educational center, I want to nominate her for the annual Friend of Springfield Award.
- Of all the candidates nominated for the annual award, none strikes me as more deserving and qualified than Jane Doe. I offer my endorsement of her and list some of the reasons why I think she should be recognized.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- as a candidate for
- award to be presented at
- candidate's accomplishments and qualifications
- friend and colleague
- have no hesitation in recommending
- hereby nominate
- is our best choice for
- is my nominee for
- is my choice for
- most deserving and qualified
- my nomination of
- my choice for
- put forward the name of
- seems best qualified to
- should be considered as
- sure you will agree
- the obvious choice for
- thoroughly deserves the
- worthy of recognition
- would like to endorse
- would like to voice my
- would be our first choice for
- would like to nominate
2 State how long you have known the candidate and discuss the nature of your relationship.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I have known John Doe ever since he joined the company in 1975. I hired him because of his excellent record, and he worked as a highly competent and skilled member of my staff until his promotion to management last year.
- I have known Jane Doe since I started regularly attending city council meetings in 1987.
- I doubt whether Jane Doe even knows who I am, but I have often heard her speak with wisdom, persuasiveness, and dignity on important community issues.
- Jane Doe has been one of my colleagues in the legal community since I started practice in 1980.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a personal friend as well as
- are not personally acquainted, but
- been one of my colleagues for
- believe I speak for all her co-workers
- both been active in
- can certainly vouch for
- developed a great respect for
- ever since he started working for
- familiar with work of
- first met in
- have come to admire
- joined the company in
- joined my staff in
- know firsthand the accomplishments of
- known her ever since
- often heard him speak
- seen her in action in
- universally admired for
- was first employed by
- were both employed by
- worked under his direction on
- worked together on
- worked with him on
3 Consider the kinds of personal qualities and skills for which the award is given and describe how the person you are endorsing possesses those qualities or abilities. List your nominee's achievements.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I understand the award is given to the person whose life best characterizes what we stand for as a company: honesty, integrity, and efficient performance. My friend excels in all of these areas.
- I know Jane Doe to be a person of integrity and high moral standards.
- John Doe produces excellent results and meets each completion date on time.
- Jane Doe is well known for her loyalty, dedication, and hard work. She is a tireless promoter of our cause.
- Jane Doe is always among the first to volunteer. She understands the goals and purposes of the organization better than most people.
- Jane Doe was the chief organizer of the fund raiser, and through her untiring efforts, we far exceeded our funding goals.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- a tireless promoter
- although he shuns publicity
- always among the first to
- an exemplary character
- as I understand the requirements
- as all who know him will attest
- excels in the areas of
- has shown his commitment to
- has shown both skill and dedication in
- has been an able spokesperson for
- have won her the respect of
- her actions express more than words could
- integrity is unquestioned
- is well known for her
- monumental contributions to
- prefers to work behind the scenes
- produces excellent results
- shows the qualities of
- to the best of my knowledge
- untiring efforts on behalf of
- whose life best characterizes
4 Reiterate your direct endorsement in the closure and offer to answer questions or give more information.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- For all of these reasons and more I endorse John Doe, without reservation, for the 2019 Doe Associates Employee of the Year Award.
- If I can answer any questions concerning John Doe, please let me know. In my opinion, there is no better qualified candidate in the company.
- John Doe has my full confidence and endorsement for the annual award.
- I know of no one who better exemplifies the personal and professional qualities that we honor through the award.
- Without ignoring the fine qualities of all of the other candidates, I advocate Jane Doe because of her outstanding contribution. She has all of the qualities we honor in giving the award. No one can say that we have diminished our standards by honoring her.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- a wonderful opportunity to
- am proud to nominate
- can feel honored to have candidates like
- deserves this honor
- feel sure you will agree that
- for these reasons
- has my full support
- has all of the qualities
- have complete confidence in
- if I can answer any questions
- if you need any further
- in my opinion
- is well qualified for this
- know of no one who
- many other reasons
- please feel free to
- the list is by no means exhaustive
- who is best qualified for
- who best exemplifies the
- without reservation, I endorse