Congratulate Someone on His or Her Engagement • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
This letter should convey sincere enthusiasm, but should not be too gushy, since such language usually seems phony, nor should you overstep the bounds of decorum by using more familiar language than your relationship warrants.
How to write this congratulation letter:
- Start with a direct statement of congratulations.
- Mention positive qualities of the couple that make them well suited for each other.
- Express your wishes for their future happiness and success.
Example Letter #1
Thank you for sending me your announcement of the good news. Congratulations on your engagement! When John and I first saw the two of you together, we commented that two people couldn't be better suited for each other.
May your marriage be filled with love and laughter.
Example Letter #2
I see it finally happened. After five years of dating you've decided to get married. Congratulations! We all knew it was just a matter of time. John is a great man and the two of you make a great team.
We all wish you every happiness that marriage can bring.
Example Letter #3
I just heard the wonderful news of your engagement to John. Congratulations! If ever there was a match that was meant to be, it's you two! I offer you my sincere blessings and best wishes for a very long, happy union.
Example Letter #4
I was so happy to hear about your engagement. Congratulations! I am looking forward to meeting Jane. If she has even half of your sterling qualities, the two of you will make a wonderful couple.
Here's wishing you many happy years together.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Start with a direct statement of congratulations.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Congratulations on your engagement!
- Thanks for letting me know about your engagement. I want to congratulate you on an excellent decision.
- If it is true that you are getting married, let me be among the first to congratulate you!
- Congratulations! Is it true? I thought you were a confirmed career woman!
- Way to go, John! It's about time you took the plunge and joined the rest of us.
- Congratulations! It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Of course she's pretty lucky, too.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a confirmed bachelor
- am so happy for you
- best wishes on
- congratulations on
- finally found the right
- good news travels fast
- have set the date
- heard that you are
- it's about time
- on your engagement
- one in a million
- taking the plunge
- thanks for letting me know
- that you are engaged
- the exciting news
- tie the knot
- to be married
- want to congratulate you
- want you to know
- was thrilled to hear
- was delighted to hear
2 Mention positive qualities of the couple that make them well suited for each other.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- You two kids are among the finest people I know, and I wish you all the happiness in the world.
- I don't know your fiancee, but from all I've heard, he must be a great match for you. Congratulations!
- Jane will be an excellent wife. I don't know how you talked her into marrying you, but I do know you couldn't make a better choice.
- John and I had great times together during football days, but I had no idea that you two even knew each other. You're getting a super guy!
- I knew that you two were dating, but I didn't realize that you were getting serious. I think you are a wonderful pair!
- It's wonderful when you see a couple so well suited for each other. Congratulations on your engagement!
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a perfect match
- all the happiness in the world
- always willing to
- among the finest people I know
- are a wonderful pair
- could have been made for each other
- couldn't make a better choice
- couldn't ask for a
- had no idea that
- half as good as
- have so much in common
- have found a real gem in
- have heard so much about
- have always admired your
- is such a terrific
- marriage was made in heaven
- on your way to marital bliss
- such a great sense of humor
- will be an excellent
- with your mutual interest in
- leaves the rest of us in the shade
3 Express your wishes for their future happiness and success.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I wish you all the best.
- We know you will have a wonderful marriage.
- I hope you will find marriage as satisfying as I have. I would never go back.
- Best wishes for a wonderful marriage.
- I wish you all the happiness in the world.
- May you enjoy a lifetime together.
- Best of luck in your life together.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- a wonderful wedding
- a happy life together
- a lifetime of joy together
- a lifetime of happiness
- all the best to you
- all the happiness in the world
- are so happy for both of you
- as you tie the knot
- best of everything
- best wishes for
- couldn't be happier for you
- for the bride-to-be
- have what it takes to
- here's wishing you both
- in your life together
- many years of love and prosperity
- may you enjoy a
- wish both of you a
- wish you all the best