Example Letter #1
On behalf of the hospital's board of directors, I welcome your participation in our annual symposium on serving the community. We look forward to your presentation. Although we didn't discuss it earlier, we hope you will be willing to host a question and answer period following the main meeting.
The Board agreed that your topic is a vital one. We also agreed that your approach for solutions goes hand in hand with our long-term plans for community service.
We will cover all of your travel expenses, including lodging, transport, and meals. I will call in a few days to see if I can be of further help, as you finalize your plans.
Example Letter #2
We are very pleased to learn that you and Mrs. Johnson will be the special guests of Doe Research at the Annual Business Conference (ABC) in June. We are honored to have an expert in global economics consent to speak at our conference.
John Doe, President of our company, will introduce you at 9:00 a.m. on Monday morning. We will then be pleased to hear your comments on you new book, followed by a one hour question-and-answer period.
While we are unable to reimburse you for travel and lodging expenses, we are happy to provide a room where you can sell and autograph copies of your book. We will also assign a Doe administrative assistant to help you during the book sales.
We look forward to greeting you and Mrs. Doe on Monday, June 15, 1977. Do not hesitate to call if I can be of further assistance.
Example Letter #3
The Doe Research Grant Committee welcomes you as its main speaker at the annual fund-raising fair. We are confident that your medical expertise and national reputation will go a long way toward attracting the response we need to sustain our current level of cancer research.
Please contact me at your convenience and let me know your flight arrival time. It will be my pleasure to meet you at the airport and drive you to your hotel.
Example Letter #4
Everyone is very excited that you are speaking at the Doe Symposium this September. As a reminder, you will be speaking both on the main platform and later in a workshop. Though both presentations will be on the same topic, you will be speaking on the main platform, whereas the workshop will be more of a teaching/question-and-answer format. In each case, you will have the entire hour. I have enclosed a copy of the symposium program.
As agreed, we will reimburse you and your wife for all of your expenses, and you will receive an honorarium of $5,000. You are to make your flight reservations. We will handle the hotel and car rental arrangements. The symposium starts promptly at 8:00 a.m. on September 8 and ends at 6:00 p.m. the next day. Your room is reserved from September 7 through September 10 at 12:00 noon. If you have any questions regarding these arrangements, please call Jane Doe at 555-555.
Again, we are excited to have you at our symposium. Let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay a pleasurable one.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Open your letter with a "thank you" and a compliment, if appropriate.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We are delighted that you will be coming to the Lincoln County Egg Judgers' Convention as our keynote speaker. I have written this letter to confirm the details of the convention program.
- We are so pleased that you have agreed to speak at our conference. Your topic has been one that has generated quite a bit of discussion around the office. We will be glad to hear your views in person.
- Everyone is delighted that you can be with us on February 29. Thank you for accepting our invitation.
- We are very pleased that you have agreed to speak on "The Growing Salary Disparity between CEOs and Managers" at our First National Convention of FATCATS. I have written this letter to confirm the details of the convention program.
- We just received your letter agreeing to speak at our awards banquet on March 1. We are all very pleased that you accepted our offer. We have heard wonderful reports about your presentation and are looking forward to enjoying it in person.
- I am very pleased that you accepted our invitation to the symposium, and I look forward to hearing you elaborate on the ideas we discussed on the phone.
- This letter is to confirm yesterday's conversation. We are thrilled that you will be performing at our annual banquet.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- are delighted you agreed to
- are looking forward to
- are so pleased that
- are eager to hear you speak
- are planning to attend our
- are thrilled that
- as our guest of honor
- as our keynote speaker
- at our upcoming
- can be with us on
- delighted that you
- everyone is delighted that
- excited about your
- for accepting our invitation to
- for agreeing to
- has generated a great deal of discussion
- have heard good reports about
- have agreed to
- in having you come
- just received your letter
- look forward to
- thank you for
- to confirm the details
- to hear you in person
- will be coming to our
- willing to participate in
- your topic is one that
2 Repeat the pertinent details of the program and offer appropriate assistance.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- You are scheduled to speak at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, June 3rd. We have enclosed a conference schedule. It should answer any questions you might have about where you need to be and when. If you have any questions, please contact me at 555-5555.
- During the banquet, John Doe, Sr. would be honored if you and your wife would join him and Jane at their table.
- I will introduce you when your turn comes to speak. Could you please send me a brief biographical sketch to which I could refer?
- Our representative, Jane Doe, will be wearing a name tag and will meet you in the lobby of the Hotel Springfield at 7:30 and escort you to the conference room.
- Our meeting will be very informal. Those attending will be casually dressed.
- The snack bar will begin at 7:30 and you will be introduced at about 8:15. Plan on giving a 30-minute presentation, followed by a one-hour question and answer period.
- About 80 people will be present, most of whom are unfamiliar with your work. I would suggest that you spend some time reviewing the fundamental principles of your program. You may expect some skeptical responses from the audience, but I can assure you a friendly and positive response overall.
- As you requested, there will be a slide-projector set up and ready for your use ten minutes before your presentation.
- As you requested, we will have a VCR and television projector ready so you can show your video.
- Jane Doe, from our travel office, will soon send you another letter with travel information.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a brief biographical sketch
- anticipate an attendance of
- are unfamiliar with
- are scheduled to speak at
- are familiar with
- as you requested
- at our upcoming
- be prepared to
- bring copies of
- can assure you that
- for your presentation
- have agreed to the terms
- have enclosed a
- if you have any questions
- in the space provided
- may I suggest that
- please send me a
- question and answer period
- reviewing the fundamental principles
- scheduled to speak at
- the equipment you requested
- will introduce you
- will be set up and ready
- will begin at around
- will meet you at
- your equipment needs
3 Clarify the details concerning any financial compensation you plan to offer.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- In case it was not clear before, please let me reiterate that Doe Inc. would like to reimburse you for your meal, lodging, and travel expenses. Please keep a record that you can submit to us at the end of your stay.
- As we discussed on the phone, there will be no honorarium; however, we plan to publicize your engagement widely and are confident that you will attract many interested in your service. We hope you are looking forward to meeting many new clients.
- As we discussed, you may bring copies of your book to sell at the convention. We will have a table set up in a prominent place to display them.
- Please keep an account of your expenses while you are here in Springfield so we can reimburse you. We will gladly cover the cost of your food, mileage (at 30 cents per mile), taxis, etc. You may mail me a statement upon your return to Centerville. I will have your $1,000 honorarium check ready for you at the banquet tonight.
- All of your meals at the Hotel Doe Restaurant are free during your stay as part of your complimentary conference registration.
- We would appreciate it if you would make your own flight and hotel arrangements. We will of course reimburse you.
- As we agreed, we will cover your travel expenses to Centerville in addition to paying you an honorarium.
- Could you please sign this letter in the space provided and return it, so I will know that we have agreed to the same terms?
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- an advance against
- as part of your
- as we discussed
- at the end of your stay
- can provide an advance
- can reimburse you for
- can submit your expenses
- during your stay
- in case it was not clear
- in addition to your honorarium
- just to clarify
- keep an account of
- let me reiterate that
- mail me a statement
- make your own arrangements
- publicizing your engagement widely
- retain all receipts
- will cover your travel expenses
- will be happy to
- will cover all your expenses
- will provide an honorarium of
- will gladly cover the costs of
- will provide all of your
- will be reimbursed for
- wish to confirm our financial arrangements
4 End on a positive note that expresses your confidence and offers additional assistance, as appropriate.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable. Once again, we are pleased to have you with us.
- We are very interested in what you have to say. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
- We are eager to hear your presentation. Many of us here at Doe Inc. have enjoyed your book, The Positive Principles of Better Business. We are looking forward to hearing you explain your ideas in person.
- Thank you again for your gracious acceptance of my invitation. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to make your stay in Springfield more pleasant.
- I look forward to meeting your group.
- Our invitation reflects our division's keen interest in your expertise and our confidence in your ability as a public speaker.
- For several years our members have expressed great interest in having you speak at this event. It is exciting to see our plans finally become a reality.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- any last-minute requests
- anything else I can do
- are delighted that
- are looking forward to
- are excited about your visit
- are so pleased you agreed
- can reach me at
- eager to hear you
- feel free to
- for your gracious acceptance
- have enjoyed your
- have expressed great interest
- if there is anything I can do
- if you have any questions
- look forward to
- of any further assistance
- thank you again
- to have you with us
- to make your stay more
- to hearing from you
- to meeting you
- want to express my
- your ability as a speaker