File a Warranty Claim • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
Omit irrelevant details and communicate facts more than emotions. If this letter does not bring action, assume a stronger tone in the next one. Send only photocopies of receipts and other documents, and retain all original records.
How to write this claim letter:
- Give a full description of the product's defect. If necessary, tell where you purchased the product and on what date.
- State what action you expect according to the warranty terms.
- If possible, include copies of applicable documents such as the receipt or warranty statement.
- Thank the reader and encourage a prompt reply.
Example Letter #1
Two weeks ago I received the enclosed pruning shears, ordered from your spring catalog. I was trimming a lilac bush, a relatively simple task for a pair of shears, when the handle split in two. The terms of the warranty indicate that if I am not satisfied, I am entitled to receive a full refund. I want my money back, including my shipping costs, so I have enclosed receipts for the shears and for the shipping. Please send the check to my home address shown on both the check and this letter.
Example Letter #2
Just over four months ago I purchased an outside CV joint from you. I am already hearing clicking noises when I turn right, indicating that the joint has gone bad. Of course, one of the selling points of this part was its one year warranty. I assume that you will repair or replace the part under that warranty. I am returning it and have enclosed a copy of the purchase order.
I will appreciate your prompt response since I am unable to drive my car without the joint. Thank you.
Example Letter #3
My new extension ladder does not extend. The channel is obstructed by excess metal. As this ladder was purchased only one month ago, and carries a 90-day warranty, I hope you can replace it promptly with a functioning unit. I thank you for your prompt attention in this matter.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Give a full description of the product's defect. If necessary, tell where you purchased the product and on what date.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Last summer I purchased a 19-inch color television set from your Springfield store. During the past two weeks, the color has been fading and it does not respond to the manual control.
- I recently bought a Doe power drill, model number T1234, from your local outlet and used it only three times before it started to cut out while in use.
- Enclosed you will find the new keyboard I ordered from your company on May 2. The "z" key, for some reason, does not work.
- On May 15, you installed a new hot water heater in our coffee shop. For a number of weeks, it functioned perfectly, but on Monday it suddenly stopped heating the water.
- Two weeks ago I bought a Doe four-head VCR, model number L1234, from your Main Street outlet. The play and fast forward functions work fine, but it will not rewind.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- am having problems with
- appears to be defective
- does not work properly
- does not work at all
- does not respond to
- from your local
- is apparently faulty
- on March 15, I purchased a
- problem seems to be
- recently bought a
- showed signs of
- stopped working after
- the following functions are
- the following problems
- took delivery on
- was installed on
- was delivered on
- which I purchased on
- which I ordered from your
- worked perfectly for
2 State what action you expect according to the warranty terms.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- We purchased a two-year warranty to cover this type of defect, so I trust you will either repair or replace the TV without charge.
- Since your warranty promises one hundred percent satisfaction or my money back, will you please refund my money? I am returning the set by separate mail.
- I would like my money returned, as promised in your warranty, and await your instructions as to what to do with the defective appliance.
- In compliance with your warranty, I request that you "repair without charge" the above-mentioned defective part.
- Your limited one-year warranty entitles me to a free replacement or repair because the defect is obviously due to poor workmanship.
- I request repair of the defects covered under the full 30-day warranty.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- according to the warranty
- am dissatisfied
- at your expense
- await your instructions
- correct the defect
- defect is in the
- expect you to repair
- happy to return the
- a manufacturing defect
- kindly refund my money
- must insist that
- please arrange to
- please send me return instructions
- purchased an extended
- request that you
- seems only reasonable that you should
- under the warranty
- warranty entitles me to
- without any further charge
- would prefer you to
- would like you to
3 If possible, include copies of applicable documents such as the receipt or warranty statement.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- To help you process my claim, I have enclosed a copy of my receipt, dated June 3.
- Enclosed are copies of my purchase receipt and the warranty agreement.
- I have also included a copy of my receipt.
- Also enclosed is a copy of the transaction record.
- I am enclosing the product warranty, a copy of my billing statement, and my account number.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- enclosed a copy of
- enclosing a copy of
- included a copy of
- my extended warranty agreement
- my billing statement
- my receipt, dated
- refer to the attached
- the original warranty
- the transaction record
- the service contract
- to help you process
- to assist you in
4 Thank the reader and encourage a prompt reply.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.
- I will appreciate your immediate reply informing me how to proceed with my claim.
- Thank you for your swift response.
- I look forward to hearing from you soon.
- I anticipate your prompt reply.
- I expect your response within a week. Thank you.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- as soon as possible
- attention to this matter
- hope to hear from you soon
- how to proceed with
- is costing me
- look forward to
- matter is urgent
- need to get this sorted out
- need to get this resolved
- please let me know
- thank you for
- to hearing from you
- wait to hear from you
- will appreciate your
- will be happy to
- without delay
- your prompt attention to
- your swift response
- your early reply