Example Letter #1
I am responding to your advertisement for nannies and au pairs that appeared in my local newspaper last Wednesday. I have always wanted to visit a foreign country and would love to have the experience of living in the United States for a while. I am willing to commit to an employment period of one year, as either a nanny or an au pair.
I have done a great deal of baby-sitting, tending both my two younger brothers and the children of several neighbors. I can cook reasonably well and am hard-working and responsible. I have also certified in CPR and have done first aid training with the Red Cross. I have a driver's license, though not, of course, in the US.
I have enclosed a copy of my resume, as was requested in your ad, and look forward to hearing from you.
Example Letter #2
I am writing in the hope of securing a position as an excavator or laboratory assistant during next year's field work in the International Valley.
I hold a bachelor's degree in archaeology from Springfield University, where I attended a hands-on field school in the summer of 2018. I have also been employed by the state of Kansas the past two summers as a general surveyor. I am currently a paid intern in the office of Dr. John Doe, the State
Historic Preservation Officer for Kansas.
Please find enclosed a copy of my resume and a letter of recommendation from Dr. Doe.
Example Letter #3
I am very interested in any information you could provide me on temporary employment with your company during the period of June to December. I am a U.S. citizen with excellent qualifications in many areas, including construction, computer network administration, graphic design, and maintenance of office machines.
My goal is to secure a position in one of these areas so that I can learn more about business practices overseas. I currently hold a Bachelor's degree in political science, and intend to continue my studies in the area of international business administration.
My resume is enclosed. Please review it and I will contact you by telephone to discuss my prospects.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Explain what you wish to do or achieve. If possible, mention specific employment-related goals, not simply your desire to work in a foreign country.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I have been most impressed by the work your company is doing with the use of neural networks in industrial process control, and would like to spend a year working with you.
- As we work towards modernizing our Springfield agricultural practices, I have become aware of how much I have to learn. Would it be possible for me to work with you for a year, so that I can gain firsthand experience with up-to-date wheat farming techniques?
- In response to your advertisement for educators willing to work in Springfield for a two-year period, I am both qualified and interested.
- With the current shortage of trained construction workers in your area, I wonder if you can use an expert roofer? I would be pleased to come work in your country for up to two years.
- I am a registered dietician with four years of hospital-based experience, and will be living in Centerville for at least the next eighteen months while my husband is pursuing a graduate degree. I have a special interest in children's nutrition, and would like to work at Centerville Children's Hospital. I anticipate no difficulty in acquiring the appropriate visa.
- I have been working my way around the world for the past two years and would like to spend the next four months living and working in Edinburgh. Do you have an opening for a cashier?
- I have always wanted to spend time in Sweden, and wonder if your agency could send me information about working there as an au pair or nanny?
- Your ad for English-speaking summer camp counselors in the January 14 Springfield Chronicle sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I would thoroughly enjoy spending next summer working with French teenagers, helping with both outdoor activities and English classes.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a great opportunity to
- am aware that there is a need for
- have an abiding interest in
- have a special interest in
- have a strong desire to
- have always been interested in
- opportunity to serve
- tailor-made for me
- gain firsthand experience
- spend a year or to
- use my education in this fashion
- be a part of
- spend a few months
- spend some time
- gain on-the-job experience in
- apply my skills and training
- use my skills in
- with the current shortage of
- would be delighted to participate in
- would like to
- would enjoy the experience
- would be pleased to
- would thoroughly enjoy
2 Point out your qualifications for the job.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I have a degree in Computer Engineering from the University of Kansas and would like to pursue a Master's Degree in the future. In the meantime, I am eager to learn all I can about the practical applications of neural networks, and would be delighted to work for a company as widely respected as yours is.
- I have worked on my family's farm since early childhood and have served on a state agricultural task force for the past eighteen months. I am not afraid of hard work, and am both eager and quick to learn.
- I have Kansas State certification for teaching junior high school math and science, and have done so for the past thirteen years. I have also spent hundreds of hours teaching English as a second language to both adults and children on a volunteer basis. I enjoy most sports and have swum competitively and coached soccer teams in our city-wide league.
- I spent six years working for Doe Roofing Company and then ran my own roofing business, with four employees, for the next four years. I would be most interested in working in your country for a time.
- I received my degree from Springfield University and am well acquainted with the cuisine of China, Vietnam, and Indonesia, as well as western favorites. I believe that I could be an asset to your dietetics department in planning attractive and nutritional meals to tempt the generally poor appetites of sick children.
- I have had considerable experience in both checking and customer service, and would need little or no training.
- I graduated from high school eighteen months ago, and have worked in a day care center since then. I am hardworking and good with children, and have a good driving record.
- I am presently working on a degree in Recreation Management. I enjoy hiking and camping in my free time and participate in many different sports. I also took four years of French in high school, which may prove useful in an emergency, although I understand that the purpose of the program is to improve the student's conversational English, and not my French!
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- am qualified to
- am a journeyman
- am a certified
- am well acquainted with
- am eager to learn
- am an experienced
- clean driving record
- completed my apprenticeship in
- ever since completing
- hardworking and responsible
- have served on
- have an associate degree in
- have had considerable experience in
- have had four years of experience
- have a bachelor's degree in
- on a volunteer basis
- received on-the-job training
- was responsible for
- was trained by
- worked for
- would need little if any training
3 Refer to your enclosed resume or a single letter of recommendation or reference. Limit your resume to a single sheet of paper. Do not include copies of certificates or diplomas unless these have been specifically requested.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I have enclosed my resume, which summarizes my experience and qualifications.
- Please refer to the enclosed resume for further details.
- As you will see from my resume, I have had wide experience in working with teenagers.
- I am enclosing a copy of my resume.
- The details of my work experience are listed on the enclosed resume.
- I have enclosed a letter of recommendation from my last employer.
- I spent my last two summer vacations working for Doe Corporation, and have enclosed a copy of the reference letter Mr. John Doe wrote for me.
- I will be happy to provide letters of reference and college records or transcripts on request.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- a copy of my resume
- are listed on the enclosed
- as you will see from
- for further information
- for details of my
- for a complete list of
- have provided details of my
- have enclosed my resume
- if you would like to see
- letter of recommendation
- letters of reference
- please find my resume
- qualifications and experience
- refer to the enclosed
- to provide further information
- to send you my
- which summarizes my
- will be pleased to
- will be happy to
- wrote the enclosed letter of recommendation
4 Make it easy for the reader to contact you or send you information. Give your e-mail address if you have one, as well as your mailing address. If possible, give phone and FAX numbers. Many large businesses will send a free information packet, but you could offer to pay any expenses if it seems appropriate.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- I will call you in about two weeks to check if you have a suitable vacancy.
- My address is: 1600 Main Street, Springfield, Kansas 12345
- You can reach me by e-mail at HDoe@xyz.edu.
- I am enclosing a self-addressed, stamped envelope, and would appreciate hearing from you soon.
- You can reach me at the above address, or as follows:
- I look forward to hearing from you.
- I will be traveling through Centerville at the end of the month and will call you then, but if you would like to contact me in the meantime, please leave a message at 555-5555.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- at the above address
- can reach me at
- can leave a message for me at
- e-mail address is
- for your consideration
- for taking the time to
- have enclosed a
- look forward to
- mailing address is
- please leave a message at
- thank you for
- to your response
- to hearing from you
- would appreciate hearing from you