Apply For Study In a Foreign University • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
Give enough information for the recipient to gain a clear understanding of what you need, but keep your letter fairly short. Ask for an explanation of anything you don't understand. You will probably receive the appropriate forms or brochures in response to this letter.
How to write this application letter:
- Explain what you want to do or achieve. It is often a good idea to mention the name of the university.
- Briefly describe your reasons for wanting the work or study experience, and/or your qualifications.
- Make your request.
- Make it easy for the recipient to contact you or send you information. In addition to your mailing address, give your e-mail address and phone and FAX numbers, if you have them. Universities, colleges and large companies will almost always send free information packets to describe their programs. It is sometimes appropriate to offer to pay for this service.
Example Letter #1
I am interested in undertaking graduate studies in Medieval History to earn an M.A. degree from International University. I received my B.A. degree from Springfield University in Kansas sixteen years ago with a dual major in History and English, and have subsequently taught both English and History at Centerville High School, also in Kansas, USA.
I would greatly appreciate your sending me application materials, including information about financial aid and employment opportunities for foreign graduate students. Please use the above address.
Example Letter #2
I would like to find out more about your internship program for foreign nurses. I am a qualified nurse and midwife, having graduated from Springfield University four years ago with the equivalent of an R.N. degree. Please send application forms to the following address:
Example Letter #3
I am writing to request information on Springfield University's International Exchange program. I am one year from completion of the equivalent of a B.A. degree at International University, and I wish to broaden my experience by attending a foreign university for a semester.
I am an excellent student in the Anthropology department here, and after graduation I intend to continue my studies in this field in North America.
Please send any information pertaining to my application as a foreign exchange student to the above address.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Explain what you want to do or achieve. It is often a good idea to mention the name of the university.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I am interested in attending Springfield University to work towards a Bachelor's degree in plant genetics.
- I would like to attend Springfield University to do graduate work in Technology Management.
- I want to obtain a degree in Political Science from Springfield University.
- I have been informed that you offer an intensive 18-month MBA program, and would like to apply for admission.
- I need to improve my English skills before I can attend Springfield University, and believe that you offer an eight-week class to prepare for the TOEFL.
- I wish to spend a year working in a state-of-the-art Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, so that I can use this experience in my own country. Can you help me?
- I want to apply to become an exchange student.
- I believe that your company offers internships to foreign Computer Science graduates, and would like to be considered for one of these internships.
- In response to your advertisement in my local newspaper, I would like to apply to attend your Hotel Management School.
- I would like to be considered for the internship program for foreign Computer Science graduates that was announced in the November 1 Chronicle.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- after seeing your brochure
- am most interested in
- am interested in
- am informed that
- apply for
- become involved in
- do graduate work in
- for admission to
- gain on-the-job experience in
- have the opportunity to
- improve my skills in
- in response to
- is my intention to
- is my wish to
- join your
- obtain a degree in
- participate in
- pursuing a degree in
- request your consideration
- spend time working in
- study in the field of
- that was announced in
- want to apply to
- wish to improve my
- wish to apply for
- work towards the degree of
- would like to attend
- would like to be considered for
- your advertisement in
2 Briefly describe your reasons for wanting the work or study experience, and/or your qualifications.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I will complete high school in November, and want to work in the field of agriculture. I have heard about the genetic engineering work being done by your department, and would like to study with you.
- I believe you have a Master's Degree program in this area. I graduated from the University of Kansas two years ago with a B.S. degree in Electronic Engineering Technology and would now like to study further.
- I have a Bachelor's degree with two majors, in Economics and Spanish, and would now like to improve my English with a view to teaching English as a second language.
- I have taught the equivalent of fourth grade for the past ten years and would like to certify as an elementary school teacher in Kansas so that I can seek employment there.
- I speak English, French and Japanese fluently.
- Fifteen years ago I spent three very happy months in Kansas as an exchange student, and have always wanted to return there.
- My degree is in software engineering, but I would like to improve my hardware skills.
- I am friendly and outgoing, with excellent grades, and am eager to spend time in the United States to learn about your language and culture and to share a little of mine.
- Your program is known throughout the world as one of the best, and I would like to study at such a renowned institution.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- am eager to
- am interested in
- eventually would like to
- have heard a great deal about
- have always wanted to
- interests lie in
- is my intention to
- is known throughout the
- much praise for
- on the cutting edge of
- such a renowned
- the excellent reputation of
- the finest program in
- to gain further experience in
- to learn more about
- to seek employment as
- want to work in
- was recommended by
- will complete my
- wish to expand into
- with a view to
- would like to study further
3 Make your request.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Please send me application forms, along with information on financial aid and any other information that you think may help me.
- Please send me the necessary materials so that I can apply for admission into your program.
- I would appreciate your sending me an information packet.
- Can you send me more information about your program? I would especially like to receive information about tuition costs and admission deadlines.
- Please tell me how to apply for admission.
- Please send me information about your MBA program.
- Would it be possible for you to send me more information about your Technology program? I would prefer to start next fall, if that is possible.
- Please send me the free information packet mentioned in your ad.
- I would be most grateful if you would send me further information.
- What do I need to do in order to qualify for this program?
- Please include the application deadlines for the internship program.
- Please include information on any scholarships available to foreign graduate students.
- Please also indicate whether your company assists interns with travel or living expenses.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- about financial aid
- about your graduate program in
- about application deadlines
- an admissions packet
- an information packet
- application forms for
- as described in your advertisement
- as soon as possible
- at your earliest convenience
- could you send me
- in order to
- including information about
- information about
- let me know how
- on financial requirements
- on employment opportunities
- on financial aid
- please include information on
- please send me
- so that I can apply for
- tell me how to
- the necessary information
- the information packet
- to apply for admission
- to qualify for
- what I need to do
- whether financial assistance is available
- would appreciate your sending me
- would be grateful if you would
4 Make it easy for the recipient to contact you or send you information. In addition to your mailing address, give your e-mail address and phone and FAX numbers, if you have them. Universities, colleges and large companies will almost always send free information packets to describe their programs. It is sometimes appropriate to offer to pay for this service.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- My address is: 1600 Main Street, Springfield, Kansas 12345
- You can reach me by e-mail at HDoe@xyz.edu.
- I will be happy to cover any postage or printing costs.
- I will be happy to pay airmail postage, in order to receive the material as quickly as possible.
- As requested, I am enclosing a self-addressed envelope. I could not affix stamps, as I live outside the USA, but have also enclosed two international postal coupons. If this is not sufficient, I will gladly pay any additional costs.
- You can reach me at the above address, or as follows:
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- am willing to
- as requested in your
- as soon as possible
- at the above address
- can reach me at
- cover any costs
- e-mail address is
- have enclosed a
- international postal coupons
- look forward to receiving
- mailing address is
- postage or printing costs
- send it care of
- will be happy to cover
- will gladly pay