Example Letter #1
Please accept our apologies for the mistake that appeared in our Sunday advertisement. We didn't realize what happened until we received a flood of telephone calls ordering the stereo set for $99.00 instead of $399.00. A correction will appear in the next announcement.
I know this is a disappointment for those who had their hopes raised, but you can understand that it is impossible for us to sell the set at that price. We will, however, give another 5% discount to all those who still want their orders filled at the correct price. Thank you for your understanding.
Example Letter #2
During our recent discussion I said that the prices for Doe building lots begin at $65,000. That information was correct for phase one lots only, which are now sold out. Phase two lots begin at $72,000. Our new price sheets and advertisements reflect this change. The demand for Doe building lots has been very strong and the market seems to change every week.
I am sorry to convey this frustrating news. The good news is that there are still three excellent view lots available and I would like to show them to you. I will call when I return from Springfield to schedule an appointment.
Example Letter #3
Last week when I calculated how much your monthly house payment would be, I forgot to include the cost of insuring your home. I apologize for this oversight. I have enclosed quotations from several insurance companies to give you an idea of what the additional amount would be.
I realize that my inaccurate estimate is a disappointment, but as you can see, the price of insurance is relatively low, and this omission should not prevent you from qualifying for a loan. I would be happy to talk to you about this further if needed. Please, if you have questions, call me at 555-5555.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Begin with an apology that refers to the offense.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I am sorry that the figures I quoted in my estimate were inaccurate.
- Please accept my apologies for having supplied incorrect information.
- I am sorry. I gave you inaccurate information concerning the Doe contract.
- Yesterday I told you that John Doe from the auditor's office would be coming to our offices today. I apologize for giving you incorrect information and possibly causing you undue stress.
- Jane, yesterday I told you that I could sell you the bearings for $69 a case. This morning I learned that the price rose over the weekend to $73 per case. I am sorry for this unexpected development, but I am afraid any transaction will have to be based on current figures.
- I rushed you this letter to let you know that I gave you incorrect information about the Doe contract. I am sorry about this oversight and I hope this reaches you before you make any critical decisions.
- I am sorry that you were embarrassed in this morning's meeting because the information I gave you was inaccurate.
- I apologize that the report I gave you was incomplete.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- apologize for passing on this incorrect information
- brochure claimed that
- caused by our eagerness to provide
- claims we could not follow through on
- gave you inaccurate information concerning
- having supplied incorrect information
- hope I did not cause you undue stress
- hope this reaches you before
- left out important information
- make any critical decisions
- mistakenly mailed to
- our records were not updated
- sorry about this oversight
- sorry for omitting
- sorry that the figures were inaccurate
- sorry for this unexpected development
- the report I gave was incomplete
- the mix-up caused
- to let you know that I gave you wrong information about
- typesetter's mistake
- was a glaring error
- you received incomplete forms
2 Mention any specific steps taken to correct the problem, if applicable.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- The correct information is not available now. I will send you an update next week.
- On page 3, line 4, the sentence should read "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog," and not "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy duck."
- Enclosed is a revised report with corrected information. I told Jane that it was my fault that she was given inaccurate statistics.
- I was unaware that an updated disk had already been sent. Next time I will check the log before sending you another.
- I don't think it is necessary for you to revise this error right now. A new version with corrected information is already on its way.
- Enclosed with this letter are the missing three pages of the report.
- I will send you the latest version of the report tomorrow.
- I hope the documents I sent will give you all the information that you need. If not, please call me at 555-5555.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a new version with corrected information
- a corrected copy is on its way
- a revised report with corrected information
- am sending the missing three pages of
- has already made an update
- at this time the information is not available
- changed the account to show
- correct the error immediately
- enclosed updated material
- enclosed with this letter are the
- will send you an update next week
- insist on handling your account myself
- next time I will be sure to check on
- plan to complete them by tomorrow
- taken the matter up with management
- the correct information is not available
- the sentence should read
- will be able to offer even better
- your concerns are at the top of my list
3 Acknowledge the reader's frustration, if appropriate. If your apology concerns an error or omission you were unaware of, thank the reader for bringing it to your attention. End with a positive statement.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We thank you for your patience. Please call me at 555-5555 if you have any further questions or concerns.
- I am relieved that you caught this error and avoided acting on incorrect information. Thank you for pointing it out to us. We will all benefit from your alertness.
- John, you have long been a valued client with our firm. We thank you for your patience and understanding concerning this matter.
- Thank you for pointing out this error to us.
- I understand that such inconveniences can be very frustrating. Thank you for your patience.
- It is fortunate for us that you were alert in catching this error. Thank you for pointing it out.
- Thank you for being understanding in this unfortunate matter. I assure you, it won't happen again.
- I am glad you noticed this mistake before it went any further. Thanks again.
- We are all lucky that you were so alert. Thank you.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- acting on this information
- apologies for the mistake
- apologize for the confusion
- ask for your understanding
- for causing you stress
- for causing you concern
- for pointing out this error
- for the inconvenience it caused
- letting us know about our oversight
- lucky for all of us that
- no one has noticed this problem before
- please accept my apologies
- sorry to have caused
- sorry for the misunderstanding
- such inconveniences can be very frustrating
- thank you for being understanding
- thank you for your kindness
- thanks for pointing out