Example Letter #1
I am sorry to report that Jane Doe has been hospitalized for observation regarding a recurring health problem. As some of you know, she has been taking medication for an ulcer for the past few months, but the problem persists. Although her desires are to be at work, her doctor insists that she undergo more tests.
If all goes well, she expects to be back on Monday. In the meantime, please do your best to help with her work load, so she won't be swamped when she returns. Thanks for your help and consideration.
Example Letter #2
As many of you know, Jane Doe is a bit under the weather. Her physician suspects she suffers from a mild case of pneumonia. She will be absent from work until she is fully recovered and her doctor gives her permission to return. I am sure she would appreciate your call, although visits do exhaust her. Please be prepared to receive her overflow, so we can avoid becoming too backed up in her absence.
Example Letter #3
As you may know, John was hospitalized over the weekend for minor surgery to correct painful bone spurs. I have spoken with him and he is in great spirits, very eager to be back on his feet. He will be recuperating at his home for at least two weeks. John has indicated that he would welcome visitors, and has asked in particular that he be kept abreast of affairs in the bidding for the Springfield Middle School remodeling contract. Ever the technophile, Harold has been telecommuting from his "bedtop computer," as he calls it.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Simply inform the employees of their co-worker's illness.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- In case you were not aware, Jane Doe has been hospitalized with an acute case of pneumonia.
- I am sorry to report that John Doe has been hospitalized.
- I guess our picnic last Saturday was too much for John. He suffered a sprained back when he slid into home plate, and the doctor has prescribed bed rest for several days.
- I thought you should know that John suffered a mild heart attack over the weekend.
- Jane Doe was admitted to the Springfield hospital for observation after experiencing chest pains during our meeting this morning.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- after collapsing at work
- as you may already be aware
- had emergency surgery
- has been placed on strict bed rest
- has been hospitalized with
- has been taken ill
- has been seriously injured in
- has been admitted to
- illness has recurred
- in case you were not aware
- is in the hospital
- complications with her pregnancy
- sorry to report that
- sorry to announce that
- sorry to inform you that
- suffering from
- thought you ought to know that
- was injured in
- was taken to the hospital
- with an acute case of
2 Add appropriate details without disclosing information that the ill person would want to keep private.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- It appears that she will be away from the office for at least four weeks. She is pleased to receive visitors, but long visits are inappropriate at this time.
- We anticipate that he will be in the hospital for two weeks and will spend a month recuperating at home. A get-well card is circulating in case you would like to write him a personalized greeting.
- Back injuries require serious attention, so we hope John will take care of himself and return to us soon with his usual energy.
I think it would lift his spirits to receive notes and cards.
- He is in the Springfield Central Hospital, and I think he would appreciate cards and notes from his friends. I don't think he is ready for personal visits yet.
- Initial tests are encouraging, and doctors suggest that she will be able to return to work in a day or two.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- anticipate that
- asked that you do not send flowers
- finds long visits very tiring
- get-well card is circulating
- have every hope of full recovery
- illness will be a long one
- initial tests are encouraging
- is recovering from surgery
- it appears that
- let you know when
- lift her spirits
- likely to be out for some months
- likely to be protracted
- look forward to her return
- not ready for personal visits
- please keep your visits short
- pleased to receive visitors
- recuperate at home
- when she can receive visitors
- will be away from the office for
- will know more in a few days' time
- will be unable to work for
- will be in the hospital for
- would enjoy seeing visitors
- would appreciate notes and cards
3 Ask for support to cover for the person until he or she returns.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We will miss her energy, but if we all pitch in and share a part of her load, we can manage until she gets back.
- In the meantime we will have some temporary help, but we will still have to pull together to make our deadlines.
- Until he returns, I trust that you can share some of his duties. John would be very appreciative.
- I realize that we need his help on the new project, but we will have to do our best without him for a period of time. We will have to consider some readjustments next week.
- I would appreciate it if her assistants could monitor her major accounts until she returns.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- all pitch in to help
- consult with his assistant
- do what he can from his bed
- do our best without her
- has suggested that we replace her
- has invited you to call her with questions
- manage until he gets back
- miss her substantial contribution
- need her help on
- projects will be distributed among
- take your questions
- take over some of his duties
- to make our deadlines
- will be filling in for her
- will have some temporary help
- will have to pull together
- will have to hire a replacement
- make some adjustments
- monitor her major accounts
- start searching for a replacement