Announce a Routine Meeting • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
This letter or memorandum informs participants of the date, time, and place of an expected meeting, and indicates what the agenda will be.
How to write this announcement letter:
- Identify the meeting, and communicate the essential information: day, date, time, and location.
- Provide a list of items to be discussed (an agenda), either on the same page or attached. If the number of items does not deserve a list, mention them in the text.
Example Letter #1
RE: July research meeting
We will hold our monthly research meeting in the conference room at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, July 16.
John and Jane will report on the meeting with their French counterparts. Each of us should be prepared to give an update on our current projects. I think John and Jane's report will be of special interest to the additives division.
If you cannot make the meeting, be sure your assistant is prepared to give your report.
Example Letter #2
We will hold our monthly planning meeting at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 12, in the small conference room. Plan to discuss:
* staff requirements
* audit procedures
* budget revisions
* sales convention
Feel free to add to this agenda by notifying Mary at extension 5555 by noon the day of the meeting.
Example Letter #3
The monthly service meeting will be held on Thursday, November 14, at 7:00 p.m. in the main shop.
Subjects on the docket are the training of new service personnel, the reviewing of purchasing procedures, and the establishing of rules for compliance with workplace safety laws.
Example Letter #4
The monthly department meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 10 at 11:00 a.m. in conference room #2. Items on the agenda include a report on this fiscal quarter and information on the new vacation policy. If you have items from your area that you would like discussed, please contact my secretary, Jane Doe, at extension 9435 so she can add them to the agenda.
Example Letter #5
This is a reminder about the weekly editorial meeting to be held on Tuesday, April 2 at 10:00 a.m. We will meet in Jane Doe's office. The following items will be on the agenda:
* Style guide for French textbook
* Report from managing editor on recently accepted manuscripts
* Report from production editor on high school literature textbook
* Updating list of copy editors and independent readers/editors
* Blurbs and jacket designs for the two novels in the Doe historical fiction series
We anticipate the meeting will run into lunch time and sandwiches will be delivered at 12:00 noon. Let the main receptionist know before 5:00 p.m. what sandwich you would like to order.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Identify the meeting, and communicate the essential information: day, date, time, and location.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We will hold our monthly advisory council meeting Thursday, May 15, from 2:00 to 3:30 in the conference room.
- It's time again for our coordination meeting. We will meet Friday, May 16, at noon. Feel free to bring a lunch.
- We will hold the weekly planning meeting in John's office at the usual time on Friday.
- We have postponed our mentoring meeting until next Wednesday, May 17, when we will convene in the cafeteria at 5:00 p.m.
- We will hold our department meeting this month on Friday, May 18, at 4:00 p.m.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- bring along a brown bag lunch
- don't miss our next meeting on
- don't miss this informative session
- early this month, on
- has been postponed until
- has been scheduled for
- it's time again for our
- light refreshments will be served
- lunch will be provided
- mark your calendars
- one hour later than usual
- our next meeting is scheduled for
- our follow-up meeting will
- plan to attend
- planning meeting will be
- please note the change in venue
- the monthly meeting of the
- will convene in the
- will hold a staff meeting on
- will meet on
2 Provide a list of items to be discussed (an agenda), either on the same page or attached. If the number of items does not deserve a list, mention them in the text.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Time permitting, we need to discuss the following:
- last month's audits
- alumni responses
- conference travel plans
- new equipment purchases
- job applicants
- spring retreat
- We will devote this meeting to conference planning and new equipment purchases.
- Please come prepared to discuss our recent job applicants. You may review their resumes in the personnel office.
- This will be an open meeting, so this is your opportunity to set the agenda.
- We will be going over the sales reports for the last quarter.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a round-table discussion
- am looking forward to
- any questions or concerns
- free exchange of ideas
- goals and objectives
- if you want to add anything to the agenda
- if you are unable to attend
- in recognition of your commitment to
- light refreshments will be served
- mark your calendar
- need to discuss
- needs or recommendations
- opportunity to discuss
- our objective is to agree on
- plan to attend
- please come prepared to
- please let me know if
- please bring the following to the
- preliminary agenda is enclosed
- send a representative from your department
- the attached agenda
- to discuss any concerns you might have
- will go over the
- will devote this meeting to
- will review the
- will explain the proposed
- your input is valuable