Example Letter #1
As you know, the merger of our parent company with Doe Enterprises is having a ripple effect on other smaller subsidiaries. Although we had hoped to weather the storm, I am sorry to report that we will close our office at the end of this fiscal year. We will offer positions in the Springfield office to those who are willing to move. For others, the severance package will be quite generous.
I would like to express my personal appreciation for the association we have had through the years. You have been a wonderful, supportive staff, and I wish you every success in the future.
Example Letter #2
We regret to inform you that we will close our Springfield office permanently on Friday, December 20. The general business decline in that area makes it impossible to justify keeping the office open. We are aware of the impact this closing will have on employees in that office. Be assured that we will make every effort to find you comparable employment within the Doe organization. To those we are unable to accommodate, we will pay one month's salary to ease the transition.
Doe is grateful for your continued service and support during this difficult time. We hope we all will benefit from this change.
Example Letter #3
As we have feared for some time, the large-scale development in this part of Springfield has all but destroyed our small retail market. Effective November 1, Doe's on Main will be closing. While this will mean a layoff for most of you, our severance package should give everyone time to find suitable work elsewhere.
We recognize that without the support and loyalty of this staff we could never have held out this long. It's been a great 20 years!
We thank you and wish you the best of success in your new positions, wherever they may be.
Example Letter #4
I am sorry to announce that Doe's downtown office will close December 31. In order to reduce our overhead, the functions of this branch will be combined with the Springfield office. Some of the employees here will be transferred to Springfield; if you in this group you will be notified. We regret that we will be unable to take all of you with us. A generous severance pay will be given to those whose employment with Doe's will end, and I would be very pleased to furnish anyone who asks with a very positive reference. I deeply appreciate our association over the years, and regret the events which have made this decision necessary. Please contact me if I can help you in any way to secure new employment.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Explain immediately the action that is being taken. Try to soften the blow with any good news that you can share.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We are sorry to report that our downtown branch will be closing effective July 30. With the majority of the surrounding businesses relocating to the suburban areas, it is increasingly difficult to justify the cost of maintaining this office. While this action will cause a small reduction in our staff, we hope to be able to offer most workers positions in our other locations.
- As we have all suspected for several months, it is no longer possible to maintain separate offices for editing and publication. These offices will be combined after June 1. We regret having to lay off some of our employees who have joined us recently; however, we will provide a month's severance pay, and our personnel office will give assistance in finding other employment.
- We regret to announce that we will be closing the Main Street office at the end of the year. Employees affected are welcome to apply for comparable positions at the Doe complex.
- The recent merger with Doe Associates necessitates the closing of our Springfield outlet; however, we are happy to report that all other outlets have vacancies, and we anticipate that most Springfield employees can transfer to comparable positions.
- After providing continuous service for over 30 years, we sincerely regret having to close our Springfield office. This closing will not take effect for 60 days, allowing most employees time to find work elsewhere.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- able to delay the closing for
- affected employees are welcome to apply
- anticipate that
- employees who joined us most recently
- give assistance in finding other employment
- has become increasingly difficult to
- have all known for several
- have tried to avoid this action
- hope to offer most workers positions in our
- most employees can transfer
- necessitates the closing of our
- no longer possible to maintain
- offices will be combined after
- provide severance pay
- recent merger with
- regret having to lay off
- regret to announce
- sincerely regret having to
- small reduction in our staff
- sorry to report
- time to find other work
- transferred to comparable positions
- will be closing down the
- will be closing effective
2 Express appreciation for employee service and loyalty.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- We realize that this closing will cause some hardships, but in the long run we will all benefit from a more efficient company. We appreciate the service and loyalty you have shown through the years.
- Thank you for all you have done to help us through these difficult times. Our mutual efforts will help us make a smooth transition.
- We appreciate your willingness to be flexible while we make these adjustments.
- Our closing is made more difficult by the loss of excellent and loyal employees. We sincerely thank you and hope that many of you will be able to join us again when the business is stabilized.
- Although we may lose our association with some of you, please accept our thanks for your service and loyalty. We wish you well and we are eager to help you find other positions.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- accept our thanks for
- appreciate your service and loyalty
- closing is made more difficult by
- did all in our power to avoid this
- done to help us through these difficult times
- eager to help you find
- have appreciated your diligence
- long term benefits
- loss of excellent and loyal employees
- may lose our association with
- may be able to join us again
- mutual efforts will help us make a smooth transition
- sincerely thank you for
- thank you for all you have done
- when conditions stabilize
- will cause some immediate hardships
- will all benefit from a more efficient company
- wish you all well
- your flexible during
3 Close with a positive expression.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Best wishes for success!
- We invite you to request letters of recommendation.
- We hope the transition to our new location will go smoothly.
- We wish you success in your future endeavors.
- Our loss will certainly be another's gain. Best wishes!
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- adjusting to the new workplace
- appreciate everyone's cooperation
- assist you with relocation
- best wishes for the future
- commend all of you for
- hope the transition to our new location will
- letters of recommendation
- personnel is ready to assist you
- personnel department invites you to
- please make use of our resources
- reap positive results from this consolidation
- significant long-term benefits from this move
- thank you for a job well done
- will do everything in our power to help
- will be happy to act as a reference
- wish you success in your
- wishing you great success
- your valiant efforts
- your future careers
- your future endeavors