Choose a topic to view request letter templates:
Request a change in a contract or agreement Request a copy of an official document Request a raise or promotion Request a response to a survey or questionnaire Request an endorsement or testimonial Request assistance or cooperation from someone in another firm Request confirmation of an authorization to take action
270 Popular Letters Related to Request Letters
Request a retraction or correction from the media Request application materials for admission to college Request confirmation of receipt of earlier mailings Request correction of an error in a check Request correction of an insurance company's error Request estimates or bids Request payment of a personal loan Request permission to use another's materials Request that someone write a letter of recommendation in your behalf
Accept a request to serve in an honorary position Announce actions to be taken during a strike (management's announcement) Announce an employee training session Announce an imminent strike (labor's announcement) Answer a request for information on a product or service Appeal to higher authorities when complaint letters don't work Approve a request Ask an applicant for credit to submit more information Ask for an investment Ask for personal advice Ask to extend or shorten a deadline Cancel a membership or subscription Change official records Complain about a billing error Complain about harassment Complain about poor service or a faulty product Decline a request for a claim or adjustment Decline a request for a donation Decline a request for credit Decline a request for employment File a warranty claim Inform a customer of an incorrect payment amount and ask for the balance Inform a customer that the check you received was not signed or the payment was not in the envelope Investigate an applicant's credit reference Invite or request suggestions from employees and customers Make an insurance claim Notify an insurance policyholder of a pending cancellation of the policy Remind an organization member to pay a fee, duty, or pledge Respond to a complaint, but needing more information Respond to a job advertisement and request an interview Respond to a request for your resume Respond to a request or application for additional training Transmit equipment or supplies that a company employee has requested Use networking in a job search Write a collection letter Write a fundraising letter Write a letter in a job search Write a persuasive letter that makes a charitable request
- Be particularly courteous and tactful when writing this letter, as requests are generally an imposition on another's time and/or resources or talents. Put the reader at ease, and help her or him feel that responding will not be burdensome.
- Be brief.
- Be confident and persuasive. Be assertive but not overbearing.
- Don't hem and haw around the issue—be straightforward, and include as much detail as necessary to clearly convey your request.
- Don't be manipulative.
- Avoid the temptation to apologize for your request. Strive to make the person feel complimented that you would ask the favor of him or her.
- Make only reasonable requests.
- Express your willingness to reciprocate the kindness or favor.
- Invite the person to contact you if he or she has any questions or concerns, and thank him or her for taking the time to consider your request.
- Make it easy for the person to respond—tell him or her exactly what can be done to accommodate your request, and do everything within your power so that the request can be granted (e.g., if you are asking for a letter of recommendation, include your résumé or a list of accomplishments and a stamped, addressed envelope).