Business writing is very different from speaking
In fact, it is so different that most college graduates cannot do it without a great deal of difficulty. Business writing is more formal, precise, and it avoids the use of clichés or slang. A one-page letter can take hours of rewriting.
How do words affect business writing?
Choose the wrong words and make a poor impression, kill business and lose customers. Choose the right words, tone, and approach and you may win customers and skyrocket sales.
Business Writing Tips
- People seldom read—they scan! If intrigued they may read more.
- Create business letters that are short, cordial, and to the point.
- Before starting to write, read several examples and choose appropriate text.
- Carefully word the first and last sentences. They are VERY important!
- Collect model letters. Reuse them whenever possible.